NiteCore TM11 Preview (Lot's of Pictures)

lightjunction

Newly Enlightened
Hi Ethan have you tried Redilast battery's? They are not exactly flat tops so I think they would make contact but I'm worried about the size of the 2900mah and 3100mah.

Sorry I don't have any Redilast batteries to try. :(

Best regards,

Ethan

uknewbie

Banned
Thanks for the review. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think the cost/size/weight/output ratios of this thing are amazing. The Zebralight S6330 may be a rival, but that is theory so far, the TM11 is here.

I LOVE the idea of using 4 x 18650 cells in a tiny light. The size to power ratio of this setup is fantastic!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if a cop pulled you over and shined his light on you, and then, in return, you shined one of these 2,000 lumen things back on him/her, could the cop charge you with assault on an officer?

Yes it could be considered assault, or at a minumum obstructing justice, if you shined it upon or into his/her eyes. Some, not all, officers protocol is to have weapon drawn upon approach, Not something I would recommend you try. And if you do, they have the right to retain the light for evidence :(.
I would recommend something like this, after the officer approaches, and asks for ID and papers, upon handing to them, mention the TM11, depending upon he or she, they may allow you to show it to them, or they may dismiss it. Bottom line, no surprises, show it only with the officers consent. Just my opinion. I have been stopped multiple times over the years in many different states, and I used to manage a tatical supply/gun shop that catered to law enforcement 20+ years ago.

Nehmo :welcome:

Be Safe
GL

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
A very good review, This light is one I want in my collection :+), But
Perfect for LEO use . . . . is something that I doubt highly.

As I explained elswhere, a tactical light for a LEO needs some specific requirements.
Small and lightweight (belt carried and easy fit in your fist,) Clicky must be easy to find with your thumb operated,(at the rear of the light, not at the side) tailstand possible (searching indoors in secured rooms), Strobe as memory mode (When switch on the light, it should be able to come on in Strobe mode instantly)
So, It seems to me that it is a great light for everyone that needs much lm in a small pack, but no LEO light.

Not to nitpick your points too much (LEO requirements being far from my area of expertise), and perhaps I'm misreading -- but as far as the tailstand, I'm thinking the TM11 ought to tailstand and light a room as though you had just turned on a torchiere lamp. OK, maybe not quite torchiere lamp level, but still -- putting out as much light as it seems to and at least looking like it will do an admirable tailstand, I have to think the TM11 might have that requirement covered better than just about any flashlight out there. At this point I'm just guessing, but it looks as though that might be a strength of the TM11.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got my fingers crossed, 2900mah or 3100 could make a big difference in runtime assuming the 75min runtime claimed by Nitecore was based off the 2300mah they show in all their pics.

Yeah, it'll be great to see when someone does some runtime testing with those higher capacity 18650 batteries if the times stated by NiteCore are based on the lower capacity batteries. There seem to be some exciting possibilities there as far as extended runtimes are concerned.

Hmmm -- it looks like in the user manual that the output/runtimes are based on "eight Sysmax CR123 batteries," for what it's worth.

xed888

Enlightened
Not to nitpick your points too much (LEO requirements being far from my area of expertise), and perhaps I'm misreading -- but as far as the tailstand, I'm thinking the TM11 ought to tailstand and light a room as though you had just turned on a torchiere lamp. OK, maybe not quite torchiere lamp level, but still -- putting out as much light as it seems to and at least looking like it will do an admirable tailstand, I have to think the TM11 might have that requirement covered better than just about any flashlight out there. At this point I'm just guessing, but it looks as though that might be a strength of the TM11.

I believe Grizzly just want to point out the requirements of a torch for LEO and wasnt saying that the TM11 doesnt tailstand. It is obvious that it does, looking at that flat tailend.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it'll be great to see when someone does some runtime testing with those higher capacity 18650 batteries if the times stated by NiteCore are based on the lower capacity batteries. There seem to be some exciting possibilities there as far as extended runtimes are concerned.

Hmmm -- it looks like in the user manual that the output/runtimes are based on "eight Sysmax CR123 batteries," for what it's worth.

Thanks I didn't know about the online manual, that is interesting. Generally 18650's have longer runtimes but of course the regulation can suffer, I'm sure our reviewers will put it through the paces soon enough.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks I didn't know about the online manual, that is interesting. Generally 18650's have longer runtimes but of course the regulation can suffer, I'm sure our reviewers will put it through the paces soon enough.

I guess the Sysmax batteries are made by the same company that makes the NiteCore flashlights...(?).

It looks like Rob placed a link to the manual in the initial thread post, but here's an additional link to the pdf TM11 User Manual from the NiteCore site (labeled to keep it search friendly and slightly more visible).

NiteCore TM11 User Manual
http://nitecore.com/images/201109/TM11.pdf

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the Sysmax batteries are made by the same company that makes the NiteCore flashlights...(?).

It looks like Rob placed a link to the manual in the initial thread post, but here's an additional link to the pdf TM11 User Manual from the NiteCore site (labeled to keep it search friendly and slightly more visible).

NiteCore TM11 User Manual

Thanks that is where I went looking and found it after you mentioned it, not much there though, a mention of runtimes and modes along with what batterys was used to test. A brief bit about operation and some warning about when using 2xcr123 or 1x18650 be very careful because of current draw I think, I don't know what to make of that perhaps they should explained that (dangerous) part a little better.

I would think it would reduce output on 1x18650 or 2x123 but the manual almost sounded like it in fact does not, hence a little more explanation would have been a good idea, no big deal for me I will always use a full battery load, but still I'd like to know what's up.

Correction: It does mentioning a reduced output but I'm still don;t know what to make of the warning.

Last edited:

Pöbel

Enlightened
I'm more concerend about having 4 batteries in parallel. If one goes bad and is reverse charged... this thing might be a nice pipe bomb.

It's time for balanced battery packs for these multi cell lights.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks that is where I went looking and found it after you mentioned it...

Yeah, I figured you had already seen the manual but thought I'd re-link here anyway for the sake of discussion.

And yes -- I've rarely seen a user manual for anything that doesn't come up short in some way or other as far as fully explaining specifics of use. This one's not bad, but not very detailed in some ways that could certainly be important.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
I believe Grizzly just want to point out the requirements of a torch for LEO and wasnt saying that the TM11 doesnt tailstand. It is obvious that it does, looking at that flat tailend.
You're right on that 100%. I am a LEO for the last 40 Years and train them in all tactical and technical requirements they need to be as safe as possible.
This was Just a list of technical requirements a Tactical Light should have when in use by LEO's.
The TM11 seems to be a good tailstander :+)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're right on that 100%. I am a LEO for the last 40 Years and train them in all tactical and technical requirements they need to be as safe as possible.
This was Just a list of technical requirements a Tactical Light should have when in use by LEO's.
The TM11 seems to be a good tailstander :+)

And of course a living room lamp is usually a pretty good tail stander, too -- but that wouldn't necessarily make it a desirable tactical light either. I understand your points. :)

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
And of course a living room lamp is usually a pretty good tail stander, too -- but that wouldn't necessarily make it a desirable tactical light either. I understand your points. :)
Perhaps if it were a battery powered lamp . . . LOL
Just imagine the size of the holster required . . .

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps if it were a battery powered lamp . . . LOL
Just imagine the size of the holster required . . .

Did you want one lamp shade up or lamp shade down? I'm your Huckleberry.

Sometimes I just hate this forum. There I am at my desk minding my own business, when the flashlight pushers come.

For crying out loud. I had just picked up a 4 Sevens S18... after picking up an Olight SR91... and now I've got one of these coming in the mail... though I must admit, I was looking closely at the JetBeam RRT-3 XML... which I may still pick up later. It's a sickness.

Any recommendations for 18650's on this thing? All mine are AW 2900 flat tops.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any recommendations for 18650's on this thing? All mine are AW 2900 flat tops.

Dan I really think Redilast 18650's are going to work with this light, what size 2900mah, 3100mah or 2600 not sure but one of them should fit and I will know tomorrow night when I can check my TM11 out.

I'm going to a hockey game tomorrow evening so I won't be able to unpack my light until around 1130pm (CDT) but I will report on it right away. If for some reason they don't work then either the Jetbeam 2300mah, AW 2200mah or Eagletac 2400mah would be about the next best available button tops.

Latest posts