Nitecore TM15 (3xXM-L U2, 4x18650, 8xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIME, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO +

brightspark1967

Newly Enlightened
Do you know anything about the Sky Ray King XML T6 flashlight as sold by T Mart? http://www.tmart.com/SKY-RAY-SK-KING-XML-T6-15W-3000-4200LM-5-Mode-Flashlight_p141642.html I have to say I am a little concerned, as I have just splashed out nearly £240 on a Nitecore TM15 here in the UK only to see this torch, that looks apart from the body colour, identicle to the TM15 including similar output specs, yet selling for a sixth of the price at under £40!!!! Is the Sky Ray a counterfeit of a TK15 or have I just been a mug spending all my hard earned cash on the TK15 when I could of got something almost identicle for a fraction of the price??

Last edited:

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Do you know anything about the Sky Ray King XML T6 flashlight as sold by T Mart? http://www.tmart.com/SKY-RAY-SK-KING-XML-T6-15W-3000-4200LM-5-Mode-Flashlight_p141642.html I have to say I am a little concerned, as I have just splashed out nearly £240 on a Nitecore TM15 here in the UK only to see this torch, that looks apart from the body colour, identicle to the TM15 including similar output specs, yet selling for a sixth of the price at under £40!!!! Is the Sky Ray a counterfeit of a TK15 or have I just been a mug spending all my hard earned cash on the TK15 when I could of got something almost identicle for a fraction of the price??

the tm15 is brighter and throws further, also has a way different UI

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
If the lowest setting on the SkyRay is 3000 lumens it won't be much good for daily use, I expect.

Selfbuilt, one of our small cadre of trusted CPF reviewers who handles more flashlights than most of us put together perhaps said it best when stating that knock-off manufacturing often has quality control issues, along with significant variation in the overall UI reliability and ease of use.
Paying for the TM15 guarantees you a quality product....I don't feel you'll be sorry about paying a fair price for this solid performer. The i4 charger seems good value as well. I notice on the Flashoholics site you can buy a nice DC charging cord for this light, whereas the Nitecore website doesn't even list it as an accessory.

I got my TM15 yesterday and took it for a midnight walk in the woods and was glad I had it. We have cougars here and when I doubled back I saw fresh tracks across mine heading in the same direction, so it was comforting to have a light canon in hand on the way home....got me to thinking I'd use the strobe if it came down to claws and teeth.
naughty.gif

I frequently compared it to my ZL SC600 on max output and there is, as you would expect, a world of difference. The TM15 is a solid little brick and a bit heavy for regular belt carry, but I'm sure it will find a useful place in your home. I'm glad I have one.

I'm thinking NiteCore would be smart to bring out a three cell version and reduce the overall diameter and length. I would be very interested in a light of similar output with reduced run times to gain real portability, so either the TM11 or the TM15 could be reconfigured as a three cell 18650. Now that would be one tiny light blaster!

Bwolcott

Enlightened
If the lowest setting on the SkyRay is 3000 lumens it won't be much good for daily use, I expect.

Selfbuilt, one of our small cadre of trusted CPF reviewers who handles more flashlights than most of us put together perhaps said it best when stating that knock-off manufacturing often has quality control issues, along with significant variation in the overall UI reliability and ease of use.
Paying for the TM15 guarantees you a quality product....I don't feel you'll be sorry about paying a fair price for this solid performer. The i4 charger seems good value as well. I notice on the Flashoholics site you can buy a nice DC charging cord for this light, whereas the Nitecore website doesn't even list it as an accessory.

I got my TM15 yesterday and took it for a midnight walk in the woods and was glad I had it. We have cougars here and when I doubled back I saw fresh tracks across mine heading in the same direction, so it was comforting to have a light canon in hand on the way home....got me to thinking I'd use the strobe if it came down to claws and teeth.
naughty.gif

I frequently compared it to my ZL SC600 on max output and there is, as you would expect, a world of difference. The TM15 is a solid little brick and a bit heavy for regular belt carry, but I'm sure it will find a useful place in your home. I'm glad I have one.

I'm thinking NiteCore would be smart to bring out a three cell version and reduce the overall diameter and length. I would be very interested in a light of similar output with reduced run times to gain real portability, so either the TM11 or the TM15 could be reconfigured as a three cell 18650. Now that would be one tiny light blaster!

those specs are wrong on the skyray king, the gold version max is slightly over 2000 lumens low I think is 400

Kango

Newly Enlightened
I just got my TM15 and returning TN30 after having battery contact issues. I love TM15 for it's feel and beam pattern compared to TN30. But I need to ask... I noticed that the front glass looks hazy when I have the light on its highest mode. No matter how much I clean it... its there. Looks clean when the light is off but when it's on... I see the hazy and I do not see that on TN30. How about you guys?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you would really be pushing the edge of the envelope with that setup. Per Nitcore, each emitter pulls 3A, for a total of 9A, in Turbo mode. Spreading that across four cells gives a load of about 2.25 A per cell - a reasonable draw. Spreading it across three cells would result in a 3A draw - doable, but a much heavier load on the cells. I am not that knowledgeable about 18650s, but increasing the load by almost 50% would have to have some sort of detrimental effect on the cell lifetime. How much I will look to others more knowledgeable to supply.

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
It's not much of an issue since you can run the T15 on 1-4 cells with full function as may be required. Granted, you don't want to find yourself relying on turbo mode with only one or two cells.

FWIW Zebralight will shortly be delivering their light in this (3 cell) configuration, the SC6330.

Has anyone noticed you can't charge the TM15 when it is in lockout mode? At least the indicator light doesn't function so I'm presuming no light = no charging. Interesting...

Matjazz

Newly Enlightened

I knew about SkyRay King and I red a lot about it. In the end I got TM11 because:
  • it's waterproof
  • has more modes with better UI
  • is current regulated (King has nasty PWM)
  • has voltage indicator
  • has durable positive contact ring.
  • has lockout mode
And I don't regret it

davpet

Newly Enlightened
I just got my TM15 and returning TN30 after having battery contact issues. I love TM15 for it's feel and beam pattern compared to TN30. But I need to ask... I noticed that the front glass looks hazy when I have the light on its highest mode. No matter how much I clean it... its there. Looks clean when the light is off but when it's on... I see the hazy and I do not see that on TN30. How about you guys?

Hi!

Yes, I also noticed the haze on my TM15's glass. Actually, I just switch it on the lowest mode, and can still see it. If I try to wipe it with a cloth, it stays clean for a second, then this mysterious fog returns. I even tried washing it, then wiping it dry, but no matter what I do, the haze comes back.

davpet

Newly Enlightened
It's not much of an issue since you can run the T15 on 1-4 cells with full function as may be required. Granted, you don't want to find yourself relying on turbo mode with only one or two cells.

FWIW Zebralight will shortly be delivering their light in this (3 cell) configuration, the SC6330.

Has anyone noticed you can't charge the TM15 when it is in lockout mode? At least the indicator light doesn't function so I'm presuming no light = no charging. Interesting...

Yes, you have to long press the switch for it to start charging, if the light was in lockout mode. The other interesting thing is if you do so, after disconnecting the cable, the light will turn on... okay, I just tried this again, to be certain. :)

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have information if the built in TM15 charger balances the charge of the four 18650 batteries?

Kango

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Yes, I also noticed the haze on my TM15's glass. Actually, I just switch it on the lowest mode, and can still see it. If I try to wipe it with a cloth, it stays clean for a second, then this mysterious fog returns. I even tried washing it, then wiping it dry, but no matter what I do, the haze comes back.
Yup. thats exactly what happens to my TM15's lens. It's weird. I've had other 2000+ lumen flashlights like Olight SR90 and TN30 and non of them have this haze issue.

Chowderhead72

Newly Enlightened
My tm15 just showed up, I have inserted 4 aw3100's less than 10 minutes off the Pila and when I tighten the battery tube to the head I get nothing no pretty blue lights nor any other signs of life. DOA or am I missing something? It almos seems that aw3100's are to short.

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
My tm15 just showed up, I have inserted 4 aw3100's less than 10 minutes off the Pila and when I tighten the battery tube to the head I get nothing no pretty blue lights nor any other signs of life. DOA or am I missing something? It almos seems that aw3100's are to short.

Try tightening it just a little more if possible.

Chowderhead72

Newly Enlightened
Did that. The problem was the aw's have a flush button top. I wrinkled the button a little and it works fine.

Could someone advise me of a 3100 that will work correctly? All my cells are aw 3100. Should I try a drop of solder on the cells?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Did that. The problem was the aw's have a flush button top. I wrinkled the button a little and it works fine.
Could someone advise me of a 3100 that will work correctly? All my cells are aw 3100. Should I try a drop of solder on the cells?
You will to have to do something to raise the positive contact height above the wrapper, if you want to use the AW cells. Otherwise, you can never trust all the cells are making contact - in your example above, you quite likely did not have all four cells engaged. This would be very bad for the few cells that did make contact, when run on higher outputs.

You should really only use 18650 cells with a raised positive contact in the TM15. Those AW cells are only suitable in lights with a single raised contact post or spring in the head.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Do you have a 3100 recommendation?
They are pretty much all fine, as they are built around the same Panasonic NCR18650A core. Some may have better quality circuitry, but runtime performance is not going to be hugely different. You just need to get ones that the have the positive contact point above the wrapper (i.e., small or wide button tops).

levelflight

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you have to long press the switch for it to start charging, if the light was in lockout mode. The other interesting thing is if you do so, after disconnecting the cable, the light will turn on... okay, I just tried this again, to be certain. :)

I guess that means the switch is still 'functioning' even though the charging cord has been inserted.

After using this light for a while now I am left wondering what the Standby mode is all about. While finding the UI generally very practical for field use, I'm unsure of when to use this mode, it doesn't make any sense to me. Anyone?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
After using this light for a while now I am left wondering what the Standby mode is all about. While finding the UI generally very practical for field use, I'm unsure of when to use this mode, it doesn't make any sense to me. Anyone?
Standby is an integral part of how the light functions - because you don't have a physical clicky switch, the electronic always has to be drawing a small amount of power. The flashing indicator is just to let you know that this is occurring (and doubles as a "night light" feature, to help you find the light in the dark).

Or do you mean in comparison the the soft lock-out mode? The point there is to prevent accidental activation of the switch by requiring a specific press sequence. The advantage to this mode is that is can lower the standby current (since it doesn't need to respond as rapidly to as many different kinds of situations), and thus not require the standby indicator.