No More Olight (R50 Pro Issues)

alanshort

Newly Enlightened
So I'm pretty much done with Olight, after purchasing 10+ of their lights over the years it is time to look for a more reliable brand.

I typically use my lights while doing astrophotography, I have an old style R50 Pro which has had constant issues with batteries dying since ~6 months following purchase. I've now had 4 batteries, all of which have died. Of course, you only realize there is an issue when you need to use the light. There is no way it can be relied on to work when needed. Not good for something that is sold as a search light. The battery dies sometimes when using, sometimes doesn't turn on. Not good when you are in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night in some of the darkest places you can find (It needs to be dark, very dark for astrophotography, no moon and no light pollution).

When I first contacted Olight regarding the failed battery they said I was just unlucky and got a bad battery with the light and sent a new one out. When that first replacement battery died, I contacted them again and they said there was a bad batch of batteries and they must have sent one of these as a replacement... They'll send a second replacement...

This second battery then also dies after a few months of very little use. I contact Olight Support again, and I'm told that they will send yet another battery. I challenge them and ask why the cells keep having issues and could it be down to the light itself or perhaps the charger...

Impossible I'm told, the battery has the charge protection.

<[email protected]> wrote: "Well if the protection circuit in the battery is working properly than it will not overcharge. They tested 20 of them at the factory and concluded it was the battery and now every new battery we send out we are letting the old supplier know to reimburse us for the issue."

I'm told its not the light, or the tailcap or the charger. Replacement 3 is sent... the forth battery to be in the R50 Pro.

This has also recently failed in exactly the same way, 0V on the battery, the light works when connected to the charger, however the battery does not charge or hold a charge.

I contact Olight Customer Support again and they would like to send a new battery. I push back this time and after a number of weeks of getting no where with the Customer Support email address, who still do not appear to understand that after 4 batteries the issue may be with the light.

I now contact the online chat support and again am faced with a very unresponsive process. After two days, finally I'm offered to RMA the light and told the technical team will take a look to determine if the light works. The light does work, however it is killing batteries. If they put a new battery in there, it will work and likely send it back to me.

So I'm done with Olight, the R50 Pro has been a very problematic light, constant issues, 4 batteries all which have died and a hassle to get any useful customer support.

Can anyone recommend an alternative brand and similar style search light which works when you need it most?

04-Enchanted-Rock-Milky-Way.jpg

Thanks
A

Last edited:

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Hi, can you describe exactly what's the use for the flashlight? Up close work, setting up equipment, walking on trails, these kinds of things? I assume so, and for that I suggest a good headlamp, to have your hands free to carry and setup equipment. There are many good brands, I suggest a Zebralight.

alanshort

Newly Enlightened
Mr. LED,

I have a couple of Zebra headlamps which I use, 18650 Hi CRI (good for light painting) and a Zebralight H502pr Photo Red to keep night vision. I typically carry several lights for different purposes and also some for back up use in an emergency.

The R50 was used to walk trails, climb hills and return back to base. Looking for a small package, high output flood with some good throw and reliable. Preferably with standard battery, not custom batteries as with some of the Olights. LED tint doesn't matter too much as i use the zebra's and a Thrunite TN42 neutral white where color matters.

Looking for a light that is bright and has long runtime. When out at night taking pictures it could be a couple of hours walk over rough terrain and very dark conditions to get back to civilization.

Thanks,
A

archimedes

Flashaholic
The OP (and title) are written more in the style of a CPF "Jeer" yet placed in a general discussion subforum

If this topic is about "alternatives to the R50" let's focus on that going forward. If the topic is your dissatisfaction with Olight, staff can move this to the C'n'J forum for you.

In any case, please do not "copy-paste" any personal communications here on CPF.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Weirdly, the only torch I threw away was a Zebralight about a year ago. Far too much parasitic drain. I've got a bit of a collection of Olights now and really like them...
71c2f5c444fbdc16c4e330498f8f00a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Your Zebralight was defective. Normally their parasitic drain is lower than the self discharge of the batteries.

SKV89

Enlightened
I own close to ten Olights including an R50 and R50 copper and never had a problem with them. The only one with a problem is the M2R Warrior Pro where Olight issued a recall so I just sent it back for replacement.

My R50 has no problem with paristic drain. I even replaced the stock emitter with 4xE21A 9080 WW emitters which makes it such a perfect night time light that I use for ceiling bounce. Olight's quality is 2nd to no one in the flashlight industry.

Beckler

Enlightened
Yes Olight has some very unique lights. The 2 I have are old now but work well and never fail. Sounds like you just encountered standard customer service though - you're not dealing with anyone with knowledge or ability to do anything useful, just an agent with a script. That's the case with practically all companies, all products, when it's a non-standard problem with a subtle explanation. They just ignore those details or can't understand them.

Whitelight1

Newly Enlightened
I own close to ten Olights including an R50 and R50 copper and never had a problem with them. The only one with a problem is the M2R Warrior Pro where Olight issued a recall so I just sent it back for replacement.

My R50 has no problem with paristic drain. I even replaced the stock emitter with 4xE21A 9080 WW emitters which makes it such a perfect night time light that I use for ceiling bounce. Olight's quality is 2nd to no one in the flashlight industry.

I have owned dozens of Olights many of which saw several hours of continuous use daily. I never had a problem and when I thought I did I called customer service in Georgia, and they sent me out a new tailcap and stickers and a vinyl morale patch all received in 2 or 3 days.

As far as Olight being second to none, as for China made lights I agree, but I have found American made lights superior in build quality. I use both, but more American lights than Chinese lights.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically if I have a light that sits for long times without use, even a trusted brand, I'll unscrew the tailcap enough to lockout the tailcap to prevent accidental turn ons. Even in the sheath. The side switch on the pro I've accidentally turned on a few times while putting it in the holster. Olight has a 5 year warranty and good customer service from what I've experienced. If you think it's the light and not the battery, I'm sure there are tutorials on how to test for parasitic drain within the light, might be worth a look for your peace of mind

Latest posts