NOOB had my Fenix ld22 stolen. Whats the best on the market currently?

boatguy888

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

My 2-AA Fenix LD22 got stolen out of my truck and I am looking for a new one to replace it. Thinking 2-AA or maybe a 1-18650 type light. I have lots of eneloops but no 18650's but can pick some up of course.

Whats the best on the market currently?

Much appreciated

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best? No idea.

Popular (or at least interesting) 2AA models include:

Streamlight Dualie 2AA (particularly appropriate for vehicle use)
Thrunite Archer v3
Olight S2A Baton
EagleTac D25A2 Clicky
Malkoff MDC HA 2AA

If you liked your LD22, it's still well regarded. Maybe just get another one?

--flatline

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a maglite if you're worried about getting it stolen again. Get the malkoff if you're gonna keep it on you and never buy another one again. I have the Eagletacs and thrunite, and an old armytek which Really takes a beating

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Best? No idea.

Popular (or at least interesting) 2AA models include:

Streamlight Dualie 2AA (particularly appropriate for vehicle use)
Thrunite Archer v3
Olight S2A Baton
EagleTac D25A2 Clicky
Malkoff MDC HA 2AA

If you liked your LD22, it's still well regarded. Maybe just get another one?

--flatline
Olight S2A Baton is no longer allowed to be sold in the US, just so you know. I was told <mumble mumble> legal reasons <mumble mumble> (I'm paraphrasing here), so I immediately jumped to conclusions and cussed out a certain 800-lb gorilla in the market with no further evidence. I still don't know whether I correctly identified the issue or not.

FourSevens Quark QK2A MKIII is also a good 2xAA choice.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
The LD22 is a good light. If you like the Fenix performance, mode selection, and tail switch, a couple of good & similar moves up are the Fenix PD35 TAC, and the newer Fenix LD30 Ultra Compact. Both are great choices for a single 18650 or two CR123 cells.

The PD35 TAC has a tighter beam and slightly better throw at 1000 Lumens, the LD30 has slightly more flood and 1600 Lumens, and is super small for carry with pocket / hat clip. Both are rated at about 200m and 10000cd.

I've been carrying the LD30 every day clipped inside my front pocket for a few months, and it is my recommendation for a great all around light.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
The four sevens qk2a mkiii is almost a really nice light! The design is great, the in-hand feel is great. They missed one major point for me though. Unanodized tailcap threads means no lock out. WHY???

Also I don't find myself totally impressed with the construction. Body, led, beam, UI are all very pleasing. I am less impressed with the free floating driver board. Mine was acting up a lot- failing to come on, switching from turbo to low on its own, etc. I took the head off and pressed down on the driver before putting the head back on and it's been working fine ever since.

As much or more concerning was my experience with their customer support. It was severely lacking for a premium brand. I can share more details in PM if you are interested.

boatguy888

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for your responses guys. Will have a look at those and pick one up. Much appreciated :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fenix LD22 is actually a good light. You might consider buying another one to replace it.

As for 18650s, those types of rechargeable cells are no joke. Chemistry inside is very different from rechargeable Eneloops. And very toxic. Before going the 18650 route, please do a lot of research and really get to know what you can expect as far as safe handling of 18650s and similiar types of cells out there.

busseguy

Enlightened
Olight S2A Baton is no longer allowed to be sold in the US, just so you know. I was told <mumble mumble> legal reasons <mumble mumble> (I'm paraphrasing here), so I immediately jumped to conclusions and cussed out a certain 800-lb gorilla in the market with no further evidence. I still don't know whether I correctly identified the issue or not.

FourSevens Quark QK2A MKIII is also a good 2xAA choice.

Olight S2A Baton no longer allowed to be sold in the US? HaHa. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's what I've been told the last few times I've tried to buy one from Olight.

Walmart. Com has 5 of them available. Quick google search showed several more in stock in several places. Light has been discontinued so if you want one hop on it