Noob looking to start modding mags

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking to start modding mag lites... simply because of the fact that well, I just enjoy them. My dad always had one when I was growing up, and then naturally the first light I bought was a 6d incan Maglite.

but now after seeing all the possibilities, I would like to start taking them apart and making more use of dropins etc etc.

so where should I start? I see that malkoff makes a nice xml drop in, and also jayrob here makes an awesome xml with voltage monitor (I will have one of these eventually lol) i have also seen a 5 or 6x q5 and a 6x xr-e that can fit into a maghost from dx

but i also think some of the fun is doing the tinkering myself

I have limited basic knowledge of electronics, I know what watts, volts, ohms, amps are etc and I know the difference between series and parallel setups, and I can use a soldering iron with ease... thats about it...

I guess my question is where should I start? I have a nice new 2d mag host and my old trusty 6d host (both 'd' serial numbers) I would like to try something budget first just in case I break something:green: and then perhaps ramp up from there? I think It would also be fun to create a mag thrower (maybe aspheric, or xr-e with rebel reflector)

any tips?

thanks in advance :):popcorn:

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
Where to start? LOL Start where you want to. There are so many maglite mods, just do a search. Read a little and then go from there. My first maglite mod was a direct drive Seoul P7 in a 3D host. I think your 2D maglite with an XP-G and one of these would make a nice light. You could get yourself a piece of 1" PVC pipe and make an adapter for C and AA sized NiMH so you could use three cells. Heatsinks can be purchased from H22A. Anyway, this is just my preference. What are you looking to get out of this light? How bright do you want to make it?

yazovyet

Enlightened
have you thought about wheather you want to use NiMH or lithium batteries? In the simpelest, broadest terms litiums are for more advanced users while NiMH are easy to use; or at lest thats what I understand, I don't know much about lithiums.

Since you have a big light and a small one I might recommend that you do a reasonable project on the 2D and then decide if you want to do somehting huge with the 6D. I did this
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?319319-2D-mag-modded-to-6AA-XM-L
with my 2D. You can also do the same thing but use 3C cells by modifying the tail cap. When I was doing that mod I was looking off of someone else's mod where they did a very similar build but used a p7 led.

Look around useing the google cpf search.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is your 2D a MagLED? New version or old?

As far as mods goes, the sky (and your imagination) is the limit. What do you want the light to do? Simple emergency light for major power outages? Barn burner? Crazy thrower? Around the house utility light? Host for a crazy lazer? I can go on and on. If you want simple, but, not your pedestrian bulb swap, then maybe look into an aftermarket heatsink with a suitable driver and LED and just build yourself a light for the experience. We'll be here to offer assistance should you run into issues and we can provide guidance once you have an idea what you want.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think for now I am looking for a long lasting runtime hog. I was thinking maybe a malkoff xpg drop in and a UCL and maybe nicer reflector. Not too expensive and easy enough to get my feet wet. Well. The batteries don't look cheap at least for 6 lol

yazovyet

Enlightened
As far as run time goes, most drivers have multiply levels of out put; high, medium, and low is common. For example mine will run on low for more than 24 hours of constant use.

edit: I assume drop-ins tend to have modes like that too but suppose I havn't looked.
edit2: I totally forgot the idea that you might want to run on alkiline batteries.

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff is not exactly known for long run times. Then again, with those big D cells you'll get some decent run times despite the current draw.

For the big 6D you can try a ROP low on six big D cells. You'll need a metal reflector and Borofloat lens with this setup. Try this link

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just picked up a terralux dropin and a cheap nite ize along with a ucl lens for now... I am not expecting a lot of output from either of the drop ins, but they were very cheap on amazon (~25 for both w/free ship)

i still have 6 duracell d's to use that are new so ill mess with this for now while i dream up something for my other host (or drop some coin on some good quality nimhs)

moderator007

Enlightened
I may be a little late, but this thread might interest you. You dont need a lathe to make the DX reflector fit. Just a good file. With a 2D mag you can also use 2 18650 li-ons with plumbing pvc to make a adapter to fit the cells. The tail cap spring will need to be shortened by cutting a coil or two off. With a 6D mag it should work with out any mods besides fitting the reflector pill, cutting the cam post off and soldering some wire. I would recommend using Nimh D's for their higher current capabilities.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks 007 I did see that thread. I really don't like Dx. I ordered 2 items from them in April and they still haven't shown up. After repeated emails and now a Paypal claim they still won't respond. I know they are a legit dealer but this is frustrating. Maybe I'm just unlucky.
not to get off topic here but thanks for the replies

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
There are some awesome incan mods as well such as the ROP conversion and all of the G4 Bi-pin adapter+battery pack/li-ion options.

moderator007

Enlightened
Thanks 007 I did see that thread. I really don't like Dx. I ordered 2 items from them in April and they still haven't shown up. After repeated emails and now a Paypal claim they still won't respond. I know they are a legit dealer but this is frustrating. Maybe I'm just unlucky.
not to get off topic here but thanks for the replies
You dont have to buy it from DX. I personally have switch to KD. I have my reasons similiar to yours. I have had better service with them. Type in KD search box S010022. Just a suggestion if you would like to try one.:grin2:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got my night ize 1/2 watt bulb and the terra lux drop in along with the ucl lens ... pretty cool stuff... the 1/2 watt led night ize is actually brighter than i imagined... from the reviews on amazon i was expecting to be underwhelmed... but really the reason i bought it was that it lasts 160hr+ on 6ds (manufacturer claim)

the terralux is good also, rated at 140lm output... has lots of usable spill too... when im not using one i just keep the other in the tail cap...