Noob question about reliable emergency-use flashlights for family

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Maglite.com thank me later

I second the Maglite, the ML25 fitted with AA to C-cell adapters running Eneloop AA battery's.
I ran this setup In my truck through summer and winter for a few years checking the state of the battery's once a year, I've since upgraded to the ML50L It's brighter and has better run times...still using the same AA and adapter set up and It still fits In the center console of my truck.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd say pick up a couple of lights from Tek-Tite like the Tekna splash and for headlamp a Streamlight double clutch. Spend the rest of the $ on primary lithium batteries.

Optiblue

Newly Enlightened
For unplanned emergencies where power outages and lack of chargers needs to be included, you just want something that will turn on when turned on and easy to find more juice. As much as I love my powerful lithium flashlights, what you want is AA or AAA small flashlights. I recently got the Olight I3t and let me tell you that thing is really impressive output wise for its size. Runtime is good too and if you have a stash of batteries, you're good off grid. The i5T is even brighter, but it's a little larger.