North Korea photo essay

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Whenever I see something about the DPRK I can't help but be completely fascinated by it. Kim Jong Il is stupid and uninteresting, but I always wondered how the average citizen (the "privileged" citizens of Pyongyang included) lives in such a strange place.

I'd bet that in many ways, it's like living in Orwell's Oceania in "1984."

Living in communist Russia, the folks used to say that you just got used to it. Used to the way things were. Hell, if you were born into it; you generally believed everyone lived the same way. When the government controls the news media, they control what people see. You just didn't see images of life in other countries outside the Soviet Union. Not if you're the average person. Likely the same thing in North Korea.

Tuikku

Enlightened
I'd bet that in many ways, it's like living in Orwell's Oceania in "1984."

Living in communist Russia, the folks used to say that you just got used to it. Used to the way things were. Hell, if you were born into it; you generally believed everyone lived the same way. When the government controls the news media, they control what people see. You just didn't see images of life in other countries outside the Soviet Union. Not if you're the average person. Likely the same thing in North Korea.

The key is to start brainwash as early as possible.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A relatively recent story I meant to post earlier: You may have noticed that North Korea played in the World Cup, and if you caught any of their games live on television, you were watching something that was for the people of North Korea essentially a state secret - the country has never aired any sporting event live.

But the heads of state were watching when the North Korean team scored a goal against the legendary Brazilian team; Brazil ultimately won 2-1, but it was clear to the leaders that their team was something special. Kim Jong Il and The Minister of Sports decided that the team was a worthy enough accomplishment of the State to be shared with the people - the next game would be aired live nationwide, North Korea's first ever live sports program.

And the next game against Portugal was indeed broadcast live to millions of North Korean commoners, all listening in on their very first live game. But they didn't have much to cheer, as the Koreans were completely overrun by the Portuguese in a 0-7 rout. The game was the final of the team's series, and their World Cup run was over.

Two members of the North Korean team were naturally born Japanese, and when the game ended, they chose to flee to amnesty in Japan; they are listed as "missing" by North Korea.

The rest of the team was gathered in the People's Palace of Culture, and endured a six-hour "debate"/inquisition wherein various heads of state explained to the players how they failed in their ideological struggle. Intelligence sources note that this was getting off lightly; North Korean athletes who have performed poorly in the past have usually been sent to labor camps.

The only member of the team to receive punishment was the coach, who was expelled from the Worker's Party and must now live as a construction worker.

And that's the story of the only sporting event to ever have been aired in North Korea, be grateful for your ESPN..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For an experienced dictator, you'd think old Kimmy would know better.

You record each game. View it to see if your team played well and won, and only then do you air the game on television. He really dropped the ball on that one. You know the other dictators of the world had a good laugh at his expense.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the most revealing photo of how badly North Korea has hit rock bottom are the satellite photos at night which show the entire country (except the capital city of Pyongyang of course) without any lights. Plenty of resources for the Dear Leader, but nothing's left for the people.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
The girl in pic#22 is so cute(sexy eyes with full pouty lips) it makes me want to defect.......
naughty.gif
naughty.gif
naughty.gif

n22_18394657.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
She'd shoot you dead, on sight. Then Kimmy would praise her as a good citizen.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
:shrug: looks pretty normal to me.
the group of soldiers along the river look perfectly neutral if not friendly and smiling.
I don't think our soldiers would look much 'friendlier' if they saw North Koreans pointing long lenses at them.

what are you going to do, you can't fight a politician's tanks.
shoot the politician I guess.

and PS, this may come as a shock, Don ( :crackup: ) but I also turn my lights out at night. even if I didn't I don't think they'd be bright enough to show up in that photo...

Last edited: