NovaTac 120P or...Suggestions???

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
The Amilite T5 looks good but you can't use RCR123's? I would assume that the two have the same beam/tint since they're both SSC's? I hope it's a nice warm white... my new 6PL is kind of blue and it's annoying... not as blue as my A2's LEDs though.

Well I want to order/buy a 1 celled light by tomorrow and it's between the T5, Novatac 120P or the SF L1 cree... dunno how I'm going to decide so quickly! (No... I can't get all of them!)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Amilite T5 looks good but you can't use RCR123's? I would assume that the two have the same beam/tint since they're both SSC's? I hope it's a nice warm white... my new 6PL is kind of blue and it's annoying... not as blue as my A2's LEDs though.

Well I want to order/buy a 1 celled light by tomorrow and it's between the T5, Novatac 120P or the SF L1 cree... dunno how I'm going to decide so quickly! (No... I can't get all of them!)
First of all, since the post office is closed tomorrow and probably most businesses too, I think you can safely wait 24 hours before ordering. 2nd, what's the hurry (besides the fact that you're dying to get a new light, ha)?

Read up on all three, there are plenty of threads (including beam shots) that discuss the merits and drawbacks of each light thoroughly. Make a list of exactly what it is that you are looking for in your new light, and then pick the light that most closely matches those objectives.

Beam:
L1............spot
Amilite......flood
NovaTac....medium

Light Levels:
L1.............two levels 65/10 lumens
Amilte.......two levels 140/30 or 15 selectable when ordering
NovaTac....four levels 120/.08 programmable in 22 increments

Size:
L1.............4.95"L x 1.00"W
Amilite.......2.87" x .98" head .78" tail
NovaTac.....3.30" x 1.00"

Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with any of these, as they all appear to be excellent lights (I only own the NovaTac). But, they do offer distinctly different approaches to an EDC, so it's really more a matter of defining exactly what you want, and then picking the light that fits. I would love to own all 3. One down, two to go.

BBL

Enlightened
You should remove the Navatec 120 from concideration. This light might have been decent last year, but, no more. 120 lumens is decent for an entry level light. You should concider stepping up to something like this... 200 Lumens!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/170671

huh...? You recommend this ultrafire junk against the novatac? Theres more about a flashlight than a high lumen numer.

robo21

Enlightened
I went through this decision making process last week. I decided to go with the Amilite T5 SSC. It has a beautiful smooth beam with a nice throw and plenty of spill. The output is a nice compromise of throw and flood. I haven't tried the Novatac yet but it does sound awesome with the different modes and the fact that it's programmable.

Whichever way you go, you can't go wrong. Enjoy.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a programable light is the best way to go,it lets you taylor the output to your needs.I bought a Liteflux LF 3,because it was programable,twisty ,bright,rcr 123 compatable,and reasonably priced.Well built HA III and small and thin!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should remove the Navatec 120 from concideration. This light might have been decent last year, but, no more. 120 lumens is decent for an entry level light. You should concider stepping up to something like this... 200 Lumens!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/170671
Howdy Olaf, and welcome to CPF. I guess since you're new here, maybe you haven't noticed that many of us value qualities other than brightness, although that is usually an important consideration. Do you own the NovaTac, or are just making your remark based on assumptions?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Far be it for me to say anything against the Novatac, successor to the famed HDS (at least until another HDS comes down the pike, which apparently it will).

But, there are arguments against owning one even if it indeed an excellent light. The main one goes like this:

--for the price of one Novatac, you can buy instead 3-5 decent lights with better runtime and output.

--let us agree that the quality of the el-cheapo lights is not as good, and that fully 1/3 to 1/2 of these lights will die and you will have no warranty.

--what you can then do is: do not buy the Novatac, buy one of the el-cheapo (but still decent) lights instead. You now have well over $115 in the bank earning interest since you haven't spent the $150 for the Novatac, and you also have one light that can cover most people's needs.

--6-12 months from now, you buy another el-cheapo but decent light. Because LED technology (plus the emitter technology) continues to advance, this el-cheapo light is now even more superior to the Novatac you would have had, at least in terms of lumen output and runtime.

--you now have maybe $80 dollars in the bank, and two decent lights, one a bit better than the Novatac (always speaking of lumen output plus runtime, no other qualities), and one significantly better.

--say one of the two breaks down and you throw it away. You still have the other light plus the cash.

--6-12 months after that, you buy yet another el-cheapo but decent light. Now this light is maybe twice as good as the Novatac would be, plus gives 50% more runtime. And you have $40 or so in the bank.

--repeat once more. The advantage in terms of runtime and output increases yet again. Now you are maybe 2 1/2 times in lumen output and twice the runtime. Of course, throughout all this, you can save money also in batteries, since more runtime equals less $ spent on batteries.

What am I getting at? Buying the el-cheapo but decent lights has you ahead in most scenarios relative to buying one very expensive one, including ones where a good fraction of these cheap lights die. You can afford to have 1-2 of the 4-5 of these lights die, and you still have more than one (so can cover two persons, or maybe even three, for example, whereas the excellent but expensive light could only cover one).

And you can enjoy the latest and greatest in LED technology, plus eventually even a programmable emitter (which no doubt will eventually fall enough in price even the el-cheapo lights will adopt).

Of course, there are some people with very specialized needs for whom a Novatac-type light is a must. Say very hard use that only a Novatac or equivalent can survive. Or maybe someone else pays for the flashlight which in your line of business is a professional tool (police, military, mining, etc.).

The problem is though that most people do not fall into this category, but yet are subject to marketing that plays up the "ruggedness" and "quality".

These are real, I'm not saying otherwise, but for most people an el-cheapo but decent quality light (which can be very small and portable, have HA-III anodized aluminium and therefore be plenty tough) can suffice.

Now please go ahead and buy the Novatac, since you clearly want to! :laughing:

After all, many of us are fortunate to be living in countries where spending even $150 on one flashlight is not a big deal. So we are beyond necessity and rational choice, but in the realm of satisfying wants. So ultimately, if you want it, you can get it!

phosphor

Enlightened
For me...and I'm not suggesting that anyone else follow my lead......I have decided on to pass on the plethora of "cheaper" lights and buy, less frequently, higher quality lights. I would rather have one Amilite, Novatac, or Surefire than six "budget" lights. As I stated, this is my approach to light buying.......and it's no more valid that any other approach. It does however work for me. YMMV ;)

I'm just tired of having a bunch a lights sitting around I don't use....and don't really care for.

- regards

Last edited:

robo21

Enlightened
For me...and I'm not suggesting that anyone else follow my lead......I have decided on to pass on the plethora of "cheaper" lights and buy, less frequently, higher quality lights. I would rather have one Amilite, Novatac, or Surefire than six "budget" lights. As I stated, this is my approach to light buying.......and it's no more valid that any other approach. It does however work for me. YMMV ;)

I'm just tired of having a bunch a lights sitting around I don't use....and don't really care for.

- regards

:twothumbs Good post! I agree. And I'm loving my Amilite BTW.
Notable quote: "There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey."

robo21

Enlightened
Howdy Olaf, and welcome to CPF. I guess since you're new here, maybe you haven't noticed that many of us value qualities other than brightness, although that is usually an important consideration. Do you own the NovaTac, or are just making your remark based on assumptions?

toetap05.gif
bigear.gif
:popcorn:

jcompton

Enlightened

- regards

+1 Well put! I feel that your statement is applicable to not only lights in my situation but to many other areas as well: I could go out and buy a cheap vehicle that I don't really care to drive, yet I could get rid of it (sell it, trade it in, give it away...) or possibly even keep it, and go out to get another every six months. On the other hand I could purchase a vehicle that is of greater build quality, comfort level and all in all more enjoyable to drive/own for years to come. All this for a higher initial premium, yet I will be pleased with my purchase and not dread it until the time comes for another to take its place.

:twothumbs Good post! I agree. And I'm loving my Amilite BTW.
Notable quote: "There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey."

Nice Quote and the exact thing I would like to stay away from for the simple fact that: If I were to purchase an inferior product due to the lower initial premium, expecting to purchase again in a relatively short period of time, the search for the "upgraded" item would be never ending. Thus costing many hours of research to make yet another informed (and otherwise unnecessary) purchase, all the while losing hours of restful sleep contemplating the "what-if" scenario, had you decided upon the quality product. IMHO peace of mind (whether it be due a "Lifetime Warrantee" or just knowing that you made the "right" decision -for your particular circumstance/preference) is priceless and in most cases requires a higher premium.

robo21

Enlightened
+1 Well put! I feel that your statement is applicable to not only lights in my situation but to many other areas as well: I could go out and buy a cheap vehicle that I don't really care to drive, yet I could get rid of it (sell it, trade it in, give it away...) or possibly even keep it, and go out to get another every six months. On the other hand I could purchase a vehicle that is of greater build quality, comfort level and all in all more enjoyable to drive/own for years to come. All this for a higher initial premium, yet I will be pleased with my purchase and not dread it until the time comes for another to take its place.

I love the car analogy - coincidently I used that logic to buy my last ride and now every time I drive it my wife tells me I wear a big grin!

IMG_4483-sigpic-sm.jpg

It works for flashlights too!

jcompton

Enlightened
I love the car analogy - coincidently I used that logic to buy my last ride and now every time I drive it my wife tells me I wear a big grin!

IMG_4483-sigpic-sm.jpg

It works for flashlights too!

Very Nice!
Wear that grin in good health.:twothumbs