NovaTac or Nitecore?

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you decide you want something more like the 120P, I suggest waiting for the Ra Clicky. Although it comes from a different company (because Novatac split up a while ago), it is the updated version of the 120P. Then again, I'm not sure how soon it will be out... (the wait for Ra's first model, the Twisty, was very long)

Could you perhaps share with us your source for this information that "Novatac split up a while ago". This is news to me. I know that the cheif engineer had left the company a while back, but the last time I checked (about 3 months ago) with customer service there, Novatac was alive and well. Their website is still up and going, too.

powasky

Newly Enlightened
Wow...I really didn't expect this many responses overnight! It seems like most suggest the NovaTac over the NC because of the beam usability/quality and "toughness", which is exactly the feedback I was looking for.

However some of you seem to suggest the Ra Clicky light. I don't really know much about it other than I saw a post about it having gone through some sort of torture test. What's the general consensus on Ra lights? Are they, like ICTTL said, the updated version of the 120P?

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...I really didn't expect this many responses overnight! It seems like most suggest the NovaTac over the NC because of the beam usability/quality and "toughness", which is exactly the feedback I was looking for.

However some of you seem to suggest the Ra Clicky light. I don't really know much about it other than I saw a post about it having gone through some sort of torture test. What's the general consensus on Ra lights? Are they, like ICTTL said, the updated version of the 120P?

An engineer named Henry designed the original HDS EDC series of lights. Novatac bought out HDS systems and Henry worked with them and came out with a light very similar to the EDC series. Henry then left Novatac and began designing a new light under the name of Ra lights (and Henry even offers warranty service on his EDC line of lights even though they no longer own tools or spare parts.) The first light was the Ra Twisty. The next light coming out soon is the Ra Clicky. The Ra lights are probably one of the toughest, most well tought out, versatile lights you'll come across. They may be a bit bigget than other lights but for good reason. Read up on the specs of these and you'll appreciate a well engineered tool.

alibaba

Enlightened
Don't forget that you can save a few bucks, buy a 120T and reprogrem it to be a "P" model.

For me tho, I'd stick with one of the NC's. My D10 has proven itself to be nearly perfect.........................:thumbsup:

powasky

Newly Enlightened
I think I'm going to try to hold out for the Ra Clicky. I figure I might as well buy once and get something I'll be completely satisfied with, as opposed to purchasing a light I won't be as happy with.

So, on that note, is the Ra considered to be the "holy grail" of EDC clicky lights, or is there something else out there in the sub-$200 range that would surpass it?

EDIT- Another quick question: Are the Ra lights made in the US? I'm not really anti-China, but picking up something that's made in the US would be nice.

Last edited:

powasky

Newly Enlightened
Thanks =)

I might as well give some info about myself too...I'm 18 and headed off to Virginia Tech in a week to start college for the first time. I'm majoring in International Studies which is kind of like a business major with a more global spectrum and a language requirement. I dig computers and guns, and have been shooting since I was 10. I currently own a full GI Armscorp M14, a SIG p228, a Marlin 60, and a USP. No flashlights yet =(

Zenster

Enlightened
Thanks =)
I currently own a full GI Armscorp M14, a SIG p228, a Marlin 60, and a USP. No flashlights yet =(

Cool... my first rifle was a Marlin 60 that my dad gave me when I was 12 years old. Before that, I was shooting hand-me-downs from my brothers, including an early Winchester .22 made in the 50's.
Now, my fun plinkers include a couple of Bushmaster AR's and a modded 10/22 Ruger.

Here's a thread by a dealer who has some RA Clicky's on order, but while he's taking some advanced orders, he's not taking a whole lot because he doesn't know how many he'll get on the first run.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=179911

I'm position #9 for a 120-CGT and will likely get one of the first batch of that model, however, other models haven't signed up so fast so you might do a little research to see if you want to go with one of those.
With Henry behind it, they'll all be good. :thumbsup:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you perhaps share with us your source for this information that "Novatac split up a while ago". This is news to me. I know that the cheif engineer had left the company a while back, but the last time I checked (about 3 months ago) with customer service there, Novatac was alive and well. Their website is still up and going, too.

I was unclear in what I said. I was referring to Henry leaving - a split-up that does not matter to the existence of Novatac, but does change where we can expect the updated models from. I have edited my post.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you do that? :thinking:

there was a thread a while back posted by 4sevens. He basically just said he had clicked his 120T for a while, and suddenly it started operating like a 120P. The change definitely occured, although I don't remember anybody clarifying the process.

Just a bit of background - I may have missed a lot.

alibaba

Enlightened
Thanks =)

I might as well give some info about myself too...I'm 18 and headed off to Virginia Tech in a week to start college for the first time. I'm majoring in International Studies which is kind of like a business major with a more global spectrum and a language requirement. I dig computers and guns, and have been shooting since I was 10. I currently own a full GI Armscorp M14, a SIG p228, a Marlin 60, and a USP. No flashlights yet =(

Very nice, good luck with that! As for hobbies, guns, computers and flashlights seem to go well together with most CPF members so you'll fit right in :D and for your first light, the HDS RA clicky would be a beautiful choice.

alibaba

Enlightened
How do you do that? :thinking:

Check through 4sevens past posts and he accidentally did it to his 85T. Henry from HDS systems then came on the thread and gave a link to instructions for how to do it, you have to click like 250 times to access it (don't quote me on that). The T model is the same as the P model it just comes pre-programmed from the factory.

If you plan on doing it better start out on those thumb weights..............:laughing:

Last edited:

smopoim86

Enlightened
I have both and FAR prefer the Novatac 120p. I almost always EDC it.

Also, I purchased it a batt station for 130. If all i could find it for was 160 or so, I would buy a RaClicky instead (which i will when money allows).

Rat6P

Enlightened
Check through 4sevens past posts and he accidentally did it to his 85T. Henry from HDS systems then came on the thread and gave a link to instructions for how to do it, you have to click like 250 times to access it (don't quote me on that). The T model is the same as the P model it just comes pre-programmed from the factory.

If you plan on doing it better start out on those thumb weights..............:laughing:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2538599&posted=1#post2538599

If this is the thread you mean....then i think you are dreaming! Everything you said is wrong...it is according to 4sevens here a 120T......and no one came online to link instructions.

Or maybe not......I hope I am wrong:popcorn: and it is in a different thread.

alibaba

Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2538599&posted=1#post2538599

If this is the thread you mean....then i think you are dreaming! Everything you said is wrong...it is according to 4sevens here a 120T......and no one came online to link instructions.
Or maybe not......I hope I am wrong:popcorn: and it is in a different thread.

We're both wrong. That was the thread that I meant and I was wrong about that. There IS a thread discussing this where Henry from HDS confirms that it's possible to do this. I just cannot, for the life of me, find it...................

EDIT: it's possible that I'm confused but I know that it's either the older HDS's or the Novatacs that allow this to happen. Thanks for the link BTW

Last edited: