Nuwai QIII or Longbow Micra: Decided!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nuwai QIII or Longbow Micra?

Sorry, MM, I don't have a longbow for comparison. They havn't responded to my requests for samples. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The Q-III is a sweet little light, though. Been carrying it on my belt for over a week and I really like it.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
The Q-III is a sweet little light, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep in deed it is & I would definately suggest you to go in for a Nuwai QIII

Since I dont have a Mirca... i cannot say anything about it.

Thanks & Regards,
ViReN

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast

Owning both, I can say that the Nuwai QIII is EASILY brighter than the Longbow Micra. Also, on my particular QIII the color of the light is superior to the Longbow...in fact, my Longbow (that I thought was very white when I first got it) looks almost yellow next to the QIII. The QIII's beam isn't as focused as the Micra's since it uses a reflector vice an optic, but the QIII's hotspot is noticably brighter, and the spill light is awesome. Granted, the Micra is modable, but my Micra has been relegated to nightstand duty since receiving my QIII. Just my $.02...

PJD

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

After several days of using an Aleph as a primary EDC, I feel safe in saying this - as before, if you want a small light that's easily moddable but has good color and throw, skip the Micra and get an Aleph 2 with 1x123 battery pack or 1x17500 battery pack. With the Aleph, you have better accessories (heads, battery tubes, the EN tab's a must for me), more choices to mod with (you can get a 5W LE right now, whereas the Longbow regulated one is not readily available), and better fit and finish thanks to Don's skillful hands.

I'll put this up against ANY Longbow Micra right now, and with the right LE I'll put it up against a Longbow Max or their 5W module to boot. Even with a reflector and a McCapsule, I'd give the edge to any Aleph. If I want a cheap, bright light with good spill, that's where my Quantum III shows up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Longbow's fairly modable and has a good finish... but I like my McGizmo-made light better.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've read the review on the Nuwai/3W, it's amazing how they can get 3 watts out of the little thing. My LEDXtreme Predator takes two 123s and weight as much as a cold can of FOSTERS! But 3 watts...maybe. By the way, what's an Aleph?
-----
chiphead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Longbow

Enlightened

If you can get the Aleph for the same price as the Longbow Micra then by all means get the Aleph. If not.....get the Micra.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Aleph'll cost you $195, base price, for one with an Aleph1 head and a 1x123 tube plus a Lux III LE and standard Mc2ES switch. However, it'll put out more light than the Quantum III and is very easy to mod, more so than even the Micra, though it will not take AA cells the way the Micra can.

In contrast, the Micra's not as bright as the Quantum III, has horrible regulation despite its ability to take AAs as well as 123 cells, and it costs almost twice as much as a Quantum. I wouldn't say that was worth it, personally - I'd take the money saved from the purchase of a Quantum III to start saving up for a really GOOD light instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But YMMV. So far, the reviews don't leave me very impressed, and the reports of 'lower than expected runtime' and flaky startup also do not inspire confidence the way my Aleph does. Don does good work.

PS: Thank you, Don and Sasha, for that OceanPlanet raffle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Longbow

Enlightened

The Micra is available on the Battery Stations CPF member specials page for $65. It is smaller than the Q III, and doesn't have a pocket cutting/snagging bezel, thus much easier to carry. It also has a VERY durable HA III finish, the Q III doesn't. The machine work and fit of the Micra is impecable, perhaps the best in the industry. Regards curent regulation.... no problem, just change battery when depleted. Also the Micra boasts a plethora of available accesories, the Q III doesn't. Regard brightness, the Q III is brighter, but not much. Run time....about the same. Buy a Longbow Micra and be happy!

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many thanks for the information, I'm always on the look out for something new. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
-----
chiphead

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Unregulated said:
The Micra is available on the Battery Stations CPF member specials page for $65. It is smaller than the Q III, and doesn't have a pocket cutting/snagging bezel, thus much easier to carry. It also has a VERY durable HA III finish, the Q III doesn't. The machine work and fit of the Micra is impecable, perhaps the best in the industry. Regards curent regulation.... no problem, just change battery when depleted. Also the Micra boasts a plethora of available accesories, the Q III doesn't. Regard brightness, the Q III is brighter, but not much. Run time....about the same. Buy a Longbow Micra and be happy!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd still worry about the module and regulation - in that case, you've paid $65 for the Micra itself... and then if you get a comparable module via the McCapsule, you're paying another $90 if you intend to keep the head as is... and then the new UCL lens and a SO17XA reflector'll cost you another $10, so you've shelled out $165 for the Longbow to get something that'll probably be the type of mod that'd beat the Quantum III or make it a truly good light. If you're wanting just the PR-T kit, that's still another $45 dollars, not counting the guts of it.

At the very minimum, you're spending $75 for just a Longbow with a good reflector and lens, and we've not even counted other modules to change that LED itself - it's a 1W Luxeon Star, and reputed to be so-so in tint in at least a few situations. You can fix that, but it'll still cost you a few extra dollars to do so with something like a McCapsule. In that situation, I'd just save up another $30 dollars and get myself an Aleph, which has HA Type III finish, better construction and a better LED and regulator circuit. And a better switch, to boot. As I've noted earlier, people have talked about the bad regulation on this light, which means you're not making the most of your expensive batteries so you're using more batteries and leaving them only half-discharged. If you switch to an ECO Tube, isn't that another $20 on top of everything else? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want a nice, simple light, go Quantum-III. If you want to mod it a bit (change LED modules to change colors), then pick the Micra. It's a completely different beast from the Quantum-III, if only because it's supposed to be moddable while the Quantum is not. IMO, if you want a truly moddable light with superior performance, then you need to throw business either at Wayne of the Sandwich Shoppe, or else give your money to Don.

But if you do get the Micra, try going to the Battery Station, Bug Out Gear, or any of our other fine, CPF-supporting retailers.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm.... I'm leaning toward the QIII and the 3 watt LED. I think... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Blades

bubbacatfish

Enlightened

I've got 3 QIIIs, love 'em. Not worried about them getting battered or burned out, currently carrying a KL4/FB1 setup but am finding it a bit touchy, in the end I'll likely go back to the QIII, great little user light!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, i have decided upoon the micra, knowing i can modify it at will.

the plusses are the HA coating, smooth appearance, mod-ability, NICE pocket clip w/bezel down carry.

negatives are that i may need to mod it later to extract optimum performance. i will immediately get a glass lens and reflector.

question: i am still undecided upon clicky vs twisty.
call me mr indecisive, but this is a toughie.

will one work better with a pocket clip?

i am leaning toward the clickie...but cant i purchase a twisty later if needed?
perhaps both are in order...

thanks to all,
Bob

Robban

Enlightened

Personally I've never understood why people DON'T want a clickie. To me it seems the clickie is a hundred times easier to use. Momentary on by squeezing is unbeatable IMHO.

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened

Get a clickie. Once you get used to it, you'll never want another twistie again.

But... the best CPF advice is, of course, buy them both! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Catman10

Enlightened

I think the twisty may be a half an inch shorter... That can make a big difference for pocketability.

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened

I would get a clickie. I think you can order twistie/clickie switch and other accessories at bugout or bulldog. I like the micra for its looks and finish, IMO they are top notch. I've not experienced any problems with my micra or mini.

I would also consider a Vital Gear FB-1 body and a Surefire KL1 or KL4 head. It would cost about $90 to go with that combo.

I like the aleph and is arguably a much better flashlight, but it is around 2x-3x the price of a micra/QIII/FB-1-KL1 Combo.

Latest posts