Odd Surefire M961 - input?

dogfacedsoldier

Newly Enlightened
I recently dug through some old military "tough boxes" from past deployments, and ran back across this Surefire (pleasant surprise!).

Most of the other M961 flashlights the units received had either no, or less aggressive, "teeth" on the bezel. Also, this is the only M961 with a "clicky" tail cap, all the others were outfitted with caps that accepted pressure switches.

Nobody wanted it, because we all wanted pressure switches, and we used IR caps for night missions. I thought it was cool, so I held on to it.

Also, the body of this M961 was more fat than all the others.

Anyway, I couldn't find any images of it online… a couple examples that were close, but none had the aggressive bezel.

I am considering using the aggressive bezel and clicky on an old duty M3 Combat Light, but want to make sure that doesn't have any collector value before doing so.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm not an expert in that particular area of SureFire collecting, but if that is all original and all stock, it likely does have significant potential collector value. Even more so, if you have the original box and associated paperwork.

Other, more expert, CPF SF collectors will likely drop by to post more details soon ... :)

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Z48 tailcap has some value, especially in mint shape. The head, not so much. I'd save the tailcap and keep it mint, or list it for sale. The rest of the light isn't really worth anything to a collector.

m4a1usr

Enlightened
I luv those older M961 lights. That one in particular looks nice. Has the heavy body MH90 and the older heavier M49 mount. Also the L10 has the longer scalloped sides which means it has the longer threads going into the MH90. That probably doesnt mean anything to most folks but to modders like me it's one of the parts you need to make an M3 mini. Kewl little light if that strikes your fancy.

dogfacedsoldier

Newly Enlightened
Ha ha… don't think wife would appreciate spending $1500 to build a rifle around a $150 flashlight! Then again, lugging a SOCOM profile barrel on a semi-only platform isn't my speed either. Pencil barrel and old school DD Lite rails (great @ dissipating heat) for me please.

If there a solid link for building an M3 mini? Think I would like to build one with the aggressive bezel and Malkoff LED conversion.

I think I'll sell the Z48 cap. It is cool, but I'm not a collector, and sure I would trash it pretty quick in the field. It is in mint condition.

Latest posts