Oldstyle Arc LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cy,

I agree. A basic updated Arc LSH would sell without a doubt! I find it refreshing to use a simple light considering all of the options that are out there today.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Oh, no you won't!

arcjourneyfamilyshotih5.jpg

:nana:

DANG, Migs! I thought I owned a bunch of Peter's product! (Actually, I do own a lot, but not this much! AA, AAA-P (new), LS, Arc-4, AAA-tricolor, AAA-cyan/turqoise, AAA-blue... I used to have more, but I gave them away.)

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LS is where I started spending my retirement money--and today, where I continue to spend it!:broke: I have had some modded by some of these posters here, have purchased "kits" (shells) from others and just seem to contact about everyone recently in this newest collecting charge. I still have my first, (#261--LSLP?) and many, many of its (?) family members, some with green tints, others with purple, some with a ding or two, mostly just as I got them. "Just can't get enough of that funky stuff"! While I wasn't as supported as I'd hoped to be, I sure did want to see the "old, original" LS reintroduced from Arc but, such was not the case. Guess I'll just hang onto my old ones....

Karl

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the old LS is a classic, my first real light in fact. I bought another mod 3 watt LS about a year ago on the B/S/T forum. Didn't really need it and probable should sell both that I have but I just can't do it. I have more Arcs then any other lights and I'm sure several people have more than a hand full. I was just playing with on of my old AAA turquoise last night, still amazed at how bright the AAA turquoise are. Thanks for the lights Peter.

greenLED

Flashaholic
you stripped an AAA?
"an AAA"... as in "just one AAA"? Then the answer is no. ;)

That's just part of the collection. That LS3 body is empty, waiting for a threaded heatsink to host an X-bin LuxV (haven't decided if I want to power it at 750mA or go full-out and give it 1000mA). I also have a bunch of spare tails and a few bare Al parts. I keep thinking I'll build something with them, but I'm slowly turning into an armchair modder... kinda sad, but I don't have time now to sit down and do a decent mod any more.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I still have several of the original LS models however all but one have been modded. I kept one stock with the exception of adding a reflector simply as I wanted to keep the circuit intact. One of my very first expensive lights was a modded light by LitFuse. I do not remember the cost of the actual mod however the light was an original Low Dome bought new. LitFuse added a reflector and a 3 watt TWOH while bumping the current to I believe 670 and adding an UCL lens.

I was hooked quickly and yes I agree with many here that the simple lines and rugged performance made the original LS a classic. I have always wondered as to why Mr. Gransee did not experiment more with fairly simple changes to the original LS line as everyone I knew modded theirs anyway. Imagine how well a 3 watt with reflector and double current would have sold back in the day.....man we all would have been standing in line for those.

My all time personal favorite is a nicely modded LS using the very slick Bombleman CR2 adapter. Honestly this combo is incredible both in looks and size. I sadly do not have one however again it is still one of the nicest "looking" LS hybrids I have seen to date.

I also remember feeling very satisfied with the many seconds I purchased as well. I know everyone remembers those deals as many were able to get an incredible light with often very monor blemishes. For their cost at the time the seconds were really a very good deal and it was the seconds that made me believe just how serious Mr.Gransee was towards quality......I could not believe many of the seconds sold were actually considered seconds. I remember thinking to myself...."what do the ones that are sold at full price look like" simply because the seconds were always so nice.

Regardless I have enough of the original LS models to keep me satisfied however did hate to see the style leave us. I would be willing to guess that many of our long time members started out with the LS models on their way to becoming addicted to various other lights.....myself included.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it were still being manufactured it would still be selling.

It still is! At least as far as my wallet is concerned. I just recieved in the post a mint ARC LS First Run #211 with Blue Lux emitter which is just the coolest thing ever!! (Well, me and my cat think so, my wife and kids just turn their eyes to the sky, Bless 'em).

I've also just paypal-ed in Custon B/S/T for an ARC LSH-T from Sengoku!

And this is me having obstained from torch purchase (Lumen-dry?? On the torch-wagon?? Going dark?? Non illuminated-turkey?? Torch-total??) for over three months.

Bitten by the bug...

Be lucky...

AvroArrow

Enlightened
Yeah, similar to what Kiessling said, there's something... je ne sais quoi about the old Arc LS that makes them special. The first time I saw a picture of one when my friend showed it to me on the Arc website, I was like "wow, that's one cool looking light". At the time I couldn't justify $160USD for one, heck, I had trouble justifying the $25 or so for the Arc AAA back then!

When I finally broke down and decided to buy a good quality light, the LS was second one I bought (1st was a HDS U60GT on clearance), and then another, and another, and another. :D There is just something about it that makes it so nice to hold. I actually EDC'ed the simple 1-level LS and left my super duper programmable HDS at home. The LS is also the only light that I have more than one duplicates of. I think Peter really hit a home run with the design of the old LS. It makes me want to buy another one and an upcoming X-bin LuxV from PhotoFanatic to make my own LS3 that runs off 1 Li-Ion. Sort of like an Arc version of the TW4. Screw the runtime, I want a wall of light in a tiny package. :nana:

DaveG

Enlightened
Have to agree,the Arc LS is a tough act to follow,just a great light.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Wow, I kinda posted and forgot about it until now. There is a lotta love for the LSH out there!!! I'm with cy, Peter dropped the ball when he stopped making the LS's. Carpe Diem, I have purchased a couple of your LSH's in the past so thanks for the memories!!!!! I'll never forget the first time I shelled out 160 for my first LSH-P, I was a little amazed that I had actually spent that kind of money for a "flashlight". After I recieved it I knew it was worth every penny. Yeah, I posted something about being in a fog after realizing I had spent 160 dollars on a flashlight. I remember the good folks on the Arc forum reassuring me that I would not be disappointed. They were very, very, right. Seems like decades ago, but not so long ago at all. I also think there was something very magical about those lights! Doug:)

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
It is a great little tank. I plan on leaving my one and only original. Maybe 30 or 40 years from now my son will take it to Antiques Roadshow. I think I've still got the baggie it came in.

Geoff

greenLED

Flashaholic
I still have a *mint* LSH-S in storage (still plastic cover on the window, baggie, etc.). That's the only light I truly have and storage and never really use (oh, and those in my minimag collection).

Also, I refuse to mod my trusty'ol LSL-P. I love it's purplish tint, and I don't mind the beam or its brightness, etc. In fact, I love the darned thing, just as it is!! I don't need it to be brighter or fancier.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bombelman.....

You mean you haven't got any skinny 1AA tail packs??? :grin2: :poke: :wave:

Also, just to chime in with fellow CPF appreciation. My very first ARC LS ( a cyan led one) Also came from Carpe Diem. Who is a complete Gent and knows a good torch when he sees one.

Be lucky...

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I may have been staring at my torches too long!!!

Behold, in Bombelman's pic - almost bang centre middle whatever - in between his two ( ! ) LS3's - an LS with a Skinny 1AA!!!

I was wrong...:mecry:

I'll get my coat...:ohgeez:

CY - Fat is cooler? Anybody want to sell me a fatty 1AA :D

Be lucky...

(I'm sure that wasn't there yesterday!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.