Olight S10R (XM-L2, 1xRCR/CR123A) Rechargeable + Dock Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES+

logindetails

Newly Enlightened
The temptation with these chargeable lights is to pop them onto the charging unit when not in use so that they are always 100% ready to go when you need them. What effect does this have on the battery - is it a good idea to keep NiMh or lithium batteries continually topped up?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The temptation with these chargeable lights is to pop them onto the charging unit when not in use so that they are always 100% ready to go when you need them. What effect does this have on the battery - is it a good idea to keep NiMh or lithium batteries continually topped up?
It's fine for Li-ion. You can check with the experts in the batteries sub-forum here, but it doesn't hurt Li-ion to be frequently topped up. For long-term storage though, you are better keeping them at a lower charge level.

logindetails

Newly Enlightened
It's fine for Li-ion. You can check with the experts in the batteries sub-forum here, but it doesn't hurt Li-ion to be frequently topped up. For long-term storage though, you are better keeping them at a lower charge level.
Thanks, good to know Li-ion's will be ok, what about Ni-Mh if they were used in the S15R?

Pilot

Newly Enlightened
I may have missed it, but are both 2014/2015 editions of the S10 (S10 and S10R) have the switch, and other upgrades indicated over the 2013 model. I am going to pick one of these up for EDC to supplement my L10.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I may have missed it, but are both 2014/2015 editions of the S10 (S10 and S10R) have the switch, and other upgrades indicated over the 2013 model. I am going to pick one of these up for EDC to supplement my L10.
I believe that was the intent, but it may take time for all dealers to work through their inventory of older S10s.

jarcher12

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for great review. This was exactly the question I had too.

Beckler

Enlightened
After using my S10R for a few weeks I can add some comments, both + and -.

+Bright/small. For the size, the brightest of this batt. type I could find in fact, that had a side switch. I'm using it as a keychain light; ok so far but definitely a little on the big side.
+Charging base, and includes everything you need.

-The side switch is hard to find by feel. Try it without looking and you'll find your fingers don't find it well. The hexagonal flats around the tube aren't needed and getting rid them would make locating it much easier. As would a surface feature on the button itself.
-With winter gloves on you can forget about both finding and using the switch. This consideration would be an advantage of the twist-head (or some other) design!
-I find Low (not moonlight) too low and not useable for walking for example, but Medium is too much.
-The low-batt. LED only came on in high mode and light shuts off very soon after. Not overly useful. Threshold should be raised a bit and once it's crossed, LED should be permanently on in all levels.
-More of a general comment but some of the user interface I don't agree with. Holding to change modes namely is really annoying IMO. OTOH having direct access to max and min levels is v. good.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received two S10Rs, one had a dead cell out of box, but was recovered.
Both lights charge to a maximum of 4.14 volts as Selfbuilt found with his review light.

I'm awaiting a reply from Olight on the matter.

joxa80

Newly Enlightened
today i tried to turn on my s10r and it lit up in low mode only,tried to change modes but it didnt, then tried to turn it off but it didnt either,then it started flickering and had a noise like coil wine,i unscrewed the tailcup to turn it off and i saw the screwed ring that holds the spring in the tailcup was a bit loose so i tighten it up by screwing it up with some pliers and now it doesnt work at all.i already send an email to olight but if someone here has some idea i am all ears.my battery shows 4.1v when i messure it so i believe its not there the fault.also when i place the flashlight to the dock the light in the dock still flashes red slow like when its idle with no flashlight on it.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Joxa88.
Sorry to hear you got troubles.

First I'd email Olight and tell them your issues.

With that said, issue is the center brass pin on tail cap. It gets pushed in from charger and does not always find it's way back into correct position leaving you with erratic operation.
Take a pen, and push it in and out a couple times while flashlight is all assembled, then retry turbo.
If no turbo, it's not seated yet.
Same issue S30R had.

joxa80

Newly Enlightened
in mine is metal pin not brass,anyway i did what you said and even disassembled the tailcup and re assembled but nothing expept that now the docking station sees that the flashlight is on it, and that the battery is full

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, not thinking earlier, so if it (pin)was seated correctly, how is bare section where light battery tube seats against cap?
That should be cleaned and cap tightly screwed on periodically.

joxa80

Newly Enlightened
by eye seems clean and wiped it with some paper also,dont know what else to do,maybee tomorow i will clean the spot with some contact cleaner sprey.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Qtip should clean it well enough, little alcohol if you have it.
For either it, you or both☺

You checked battery/cell with a meter?
If it's still not lighting up, shoot Olight a email.

joxa80

Newly Enlightened
haha just finished cleaning with a qtip and alcohol and then saw your post,but still nothing, battery shows to the 4.14v.i already send an email to olight from yesterday but still no answer,maybe i should send an other one.anyway thanks for your help.

joxa80

Newly Enlightened
did that too but sadly nothing,it doesnt come in low either today,last time came on low yesterday but wouldnt turn off so unscrewed the tailcup to shut it off and since then its commpletly dead.olight just send me a reply suggesting me to clean the tailcup with qtip and alcohol :) but told them i already did.