Olight SR52 replacements? Smaller, brighter, longer runtime?

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Upgrade nervosa is setting in. This site always costs me money, lol.

The SR52vn I bought several years ago is a great light and tends to be the go-to light for everyone in the house. But, it's big in the hand, particularly when wrestling my pit bull on long walks at night. Checking in here and looking for something a little smaller and brighter (just cuz), at first glance the Fenix TK35UE, the Fenix UC52, and the Olight R50 have jumped out at me. I like the reviews I've read of the TK35UE and its throw, but not sure it's the reduction in size I'm looking for or not (though it's far from that beer-can feel of the SR52).

What other lights should I be considering in the family of 1,000+ lumen lights that also offer ease-of-charging? I like the micro-usb aspect of my SR52vn, but the slide out battery holder with a built-in micro-usb port such as found in the TK35UE is fine, too. I'm not looking for lights where I have to pop the batteries out and drop them into a separate charger (which I have ((Nitecore)), but it's just more hassle than I'm used to these days).

Aaron

BarryNYC

Newly Enlightened
I didn't like the Olight R50. The in-light charger only works with Olight brand batteries, and unfathomably, the light does not have reverse polarity protection.

I do like the Nitecore MH20. It's pretty tiny for a thrower of this power. UI is important to me. It has a two-stage switch with a similar UI to Olight (which I like), but just a little different. Maybe enough to be confusing if you use both.

Thrunite also makes good lights of this sort. The TC20 or it's slightly bigger brother the Catapult V6. I haven't actually seen the SR52vn, but I think they are both somewhat smaller. The UI for the Thrunites is very similar to Olights.

Last edited:

chumley

Enlightened
I have the SR52 and the SR52ut, I like them both. But when it comes to bringing a thrower on a dog walk, I usually take the Manker U21. It has a similar beam to the Olight but is lighter because of the 26650 battery. I agree with BarryNYC the Nitecore Mh20 and MH20gt are good options They are much more pocket friendly.

matt4350

Enlightened
Depends how much smaller you want to go, but if you didn't mind carrying a 2 x 26650 you could look at Eagletac's stuff. The SX30L2-R can do pretty well with XHP35 HI, by the looks of their specs page. I mention this because I've got the older SX25L2 (same sorta size) and I find it quite easy to carry, and it slips into a back jeans pocket very easily with the head up. I've got the SR52vn as well, and it's a great light but I agree it's not so easily carried if you're moving quick or doing other things.

Eagletac's T25L-R may be worth a look if you want an 18650 light, specs seem roughly the same as the MH20GT. I've not got any experience with it, but my other Eagletac is still running strong after about 5 or 6 years with plenty of knocks.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Looking into everyone's suggestions thus far (thanks). Question on the T25L-R -- I couldn't figure from the website what the lumen and runtime is for the step down modes (just 2000lm and 1.5 hrs on its brightest setting) -- any idea? Probably just hiding in plain sight.

Edit: figured it out. 2000lm for 1.3 hrs, 430lm for 5.7 hrs, and 43lm for 70 hrs.

Last edited:

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
I noticed there's a wide variation among the lights in their CD rating (eg. Manker U22 rated at 120,000CD, but, as an example, the Fenix UC52 is 16,000CD). I'm rusty and maybe it will be obvious when you explain it, but what's that CD rating mean and why the large variations?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
CD (lux) is measure of throw; intensity in the middle of the hot spot.
Total output (lumens) is completely different.
High lumens, low CD = flood light
Low lumens, high CD = laser beam