One more Longbow question

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I think the lens sucks. At first I almost thought that the lens was glass and tapped it against my tooth. It left a mark on the lens. Then I wiped it with my T-shirt and it scratched very easily. I prefer my lights to all have glass lenses. I dislike polycarbonate lenses since they scratch easy and usually "yellow" over time.

First thing I did when I got home that day was swap in place a 22.5mm mineral glass lens. The polycarbonate lens was the only thing I disliked about the Micra.

Miciobigio, nice picture. Who's is it anyways? Is that a Snap-On tool chest I see the lights standing on?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B

BULLDOG

Well Darkzero has been quite productive overnight!

The switch is designed to be servicable as he's found out. It is also adjustable. It is easy to adjust the force necessary to activate the switch by rotating the switch in the threaded brass ring. I guess the JUDCO stamp confirms that it is a Kroll.

As for the lens, all of our first order LongBows have the polycarbonate lens. If there is a majority preference for a glass type lens, I can specify the glass lens as the standard lens and make the polycarbonate an option.

I am inclined to just make the standard the glass type lens since it's o-ring'd on either side for shock resistance.

Aten_Imago

Banned
"polycarbonate lenses since they scratch easy and usually "yellow" over time." Humn strange Polycarbonate is the toughest formulation of optical grade plastic as witnessed by hundreds of thousands of Oakley glasses and other perscription lens wearers. My guess is if it scratches that easily, it isn't Polycarbonate at all, but acrylic.Not sure how we would test for that. Mineral glass simply breaks too easily in the real world. Sapphire crystals ( lenses ) are a different story all together. They are the Premium scratch and shock resistant material. Double coated they'd be ideal for premium flashlights

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
Anyone seen the pocket clips for the Micra?

Just wondering- what do the pocket clips look like for the Micra? Are there any photos available?

JK

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anyone seen the pocket clips for the Micra?

The pocket clips have not been released yet. I hope to have an indication of what they will look like as well as what type of material they will use.

Personally, I use a Mini-Clip to suspend mine at the top of my pocket or hang it from wherever is convenient.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Aten_Imago said:
My guess is if it scratches that easily, it isn't Polycarbonate at all, but acrylic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aten, good point. I just assumed it was polycarbonate because that's what's mostly used in flashlights. I don't thrink it's acrlic because I believe acrylic snaps easily. Whatever it's made of, it seems to be the same material Mag lenses are made of which I always thought was polycarbonate too.

BTW, Beretta, what does a "Mini-Clip" look like?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a mini-clip:

miniclip.jpg

It's 1-3/8" long, sturdy, handy, and just plain great.

cy

Flashaholic
It appears the olive model is HA. Did we ever decide the black models are HA?

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
I won't be sure if they will fit until we receive our shipment, but I can tell you that the nominal power output is 6V. 2 Pila 168A's put out 3.7V, for a total of 7.4V. I'm not sure if the higher voltage output will effect the LED. As for size we should know in a couple of weeks. Check our site for updates.

Thanks,
Flavio
BugOutGear USA

shabbasuraj

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:
The black is HA...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they both...

Type III, Mil.Spec?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 168s fits nicely in the Mini. It is just slightly less bright as it's only running on 3.7V. Even so, it runs nicely and the best part is "guilt-free photons". I have to do a runtime test to see how long it will run, etc... I'm doing one now.

As far as HAIII, all models are HAIII. They are comparing the Mil spec to see if their process is compliant.

shabbasuraj

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:
The 168s fits nicely in the Mini. It is just slightly less bright as it's only running on 3.7V. Even so, it runs nicely and the best part is "guilt-free photons". I have to do a runtime test to see how long it will run, etc... I'm doing one now.

As far as HAIII, all models are HAIII. They are comparing the Mil spec to see if their process is compliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the reply... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
The LongBow/Micra Thread

Man there's so much info here about the Micra, this thread should be called something like "Everything about LongBow/Micra". (hint, hint);)

Ok here's another discovery I just made.
I like how the optic in Micras (Minis also?) perform but it sure doesn't look like any Fraen or Lumileds collimators that I have seen. So I took it out for a closer look. The optic sure enough is a new one to me. So I just thought that it was Longbow's own design and if I wanted to get more for use in some mods I would have to try and get them from LongBow themselves.

Today I recieved a few optics from a fellow member for testing and review. The 6deg optic sent to me look very familiar. It looks very similar to the Micra's optic I thought. I compared them side by side and they are identical. The 6deg optic has four small slots (aside from the tab) where the optic holder fits into. I always wondered what these slots were when I was looking at the Micra's optic. There hard to see in my pic (sorry I try to take some better ones in the morning) below but they are where I marked the red dots.

So I'm almost positive that LongBows collimators are the 6deg model made by carclo precision optics/Carclo Tech.Plastics (Slough) Ltd., England. If they are not, they sure do look and perform identical!

I will put together a review of some Carclo optics over the weekend. I have a 6deg, 15deg, 25deg, 25x6deg, fiber, and a 2deg for review. The 2deg optic is very interesting and is something I and probably most of you have never seen before. I'll post the review of them here early next week, that is if I'm permitted to (I'm pretty sure I can but I must ask first just in case).

Left: Micra optic, Right: Carclo 6deg. and 1W/3W optic holder
micra_optics.jpg

Left: Micra optic, Right: Carclo 6deg. optic
carclo-optics_6deg.jpg

Last edited:

sidespill

Enlightened
Re: The LongBow/Micra Thread

just going off the pics on the longbow site it looks like the turbo head uses an optic. kinda like an electrolumens 30mm. anyone know? could be my eyes playin tricks on me but it did look like a larger optic rather than a reflector.

W4DIZ

Enlightened
Re: The LongBow/Micra Thread

This is getting very interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just hope that Longbow can keep up with the demand.I know Bulldog said he will have a few in around April 9th,but I have a feeling that alot of us may have to wait longer to get these lights.I hope I am wrong.