Ooh! Ooh! Another flashlight story!

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Be careful, those things can get PISSY when confronted, especially in a closed area. We get them in my parent's barn up in the hay loft where I keep some car parts. They make a mess of things since they like the shiney car parts. The only way to get up there is to climb up there and peek your head above the floor to see if any coons are there. The last time I went up there, I didn't see any but there was an empty Gateway monitor box laying on its side about 3 feet in front of me. I decided to poke the box and this large old pissed of coon comes running out of there hissing at me. So what do I do? Shine my Surefire M3 in its face and blast it with my GLOCK :xyxgun:

Illum

Flashaholic
Metro said:
No handgun? Obviously you would'nt have shot the racoon but what if that turned out to be a new age night stalker instead of a coon when you lit the room up? You've got a flashlight and little baseball bat, not good. Wakeup call dude.

well, my only defense against coons is a SL PP 4AA Lux, a tennis racket, and a sling[shot] with a couple half inch ball bearings, quite effect within a 4 feet range [lol]

Im not going to buy a gun!... unless I buy a silencer to go with it...

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Must be that time of year for racoons. We had a sick racoon on the roof of my neighbor's garage. I lit it up with my Steamlight twin task AAA and then called animal control. Apparently they "don't do roofs or go out on calls after 8pm." It was 7:30pm when I called. Poor guy was so sick he would not move when I tossed of few pebbles up at it. I have not seen it in awhile so I figure in crawled in hole and died. I was worried about it having rabies and infecting my dogs. Your story was much more exciting. Time for a new screen door.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
A machete works. So does the small forcible entry tool I keep handy as a means to escape during a fire. You can shoe them out with it. If they attack instead, then you have an appropriate weapon. A machete is better because it is light. You can go from poking the thing one-handed to whacking faster. If you are worried about spatter, you can use the back of the blade and bludgeon it to death (go for the skull). The pick end of the forcible entry tool will poke holes, and won't spatter blood. It is better for retrieval too.

Or you could go all Milla Jovovich on it with a pair of telescoping batons. :lolsign:

millar2hh.jpg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Heck of a story!

We are almost sure to have Coons, Possums etc. running around here, but I haven't seen one yet.

Hmmm. Birdshot first? or my Number 4 Buckshot?

BTW, Mila is a little too skinny for my taste.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Racoons can be extraordinarily nasty.

I had one climb up a downspout in the middle of the night and peek into a second story bedroom window of an apartment we had years ago. It tried real hard to get in even after we were wide awake and making nasty anti-racoon noises. A bucket of water and the resulting two story drop changed its mind. At that time my wife was opposed to a shotgun and #4 shot with a then 4 year old in the house. Almost changed her mind on the spot, though.

One of her brothers had a sow racoon get into the kitchen in the middle of the night. Apparently a couple of shots from a .38 might have been enough to wake up the neighbors, so he went the "swing away" method. Home run!

Ah, the quiet life in the country...

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
chmsam said:
Apparently a couple of shots from a .38 might have been enough to wake up the neighbors, so he went the "swing away" method. Home run!

Thats why its always good to have a .22.

BTW.......if anyone gets Milla to provide anti-racoon services, let me know...
I will be donning my racoon suit and coming over for a midnight visit!!

hquan

Enlightened
webley445 said:
BTW.......if anyone gets Milla to provide anti-racoon services, let me know...
I will be donning my racoon suit and coming over for a midnight visit!!

I don't know.... I think that an *** whooping by Milla would hurt just as much as one done by "Bubba" down the street...:laughing:

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
Time to trim those branches WAY back! I have a possum that makes a nightly walk thru my backyard at midnight, setting off my motion lights on the way to the neighbors house I think to scavenge bird seed off the ground. Its big and its ugly and I sure dont want to be in the same room with it or a raccoon.

WNG

Enlightened
I think electrifying the place would be a good deterrent.
Lay down some stainless steel chicken wire at key points of entry, like roofs, attics, cellars, balconies.
If you feel compassionate, use some old ignition coils to give off a nice zap.
Then sit back and watch the racoon high jump contest.

Newuser01

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Heck of a story!

We are almost sure to have Coons, Possums etc. running around here, but I haven't seen one yet.

Hmmm. Birdshot first? or my Number 4 Buckshot?

BTW, Mila is a little too skinny for my taste.

Not where it counts!! :whistle::whistle:

I keep a paint gun and CO2 peeshooter for this and had to use the peeshooter couple of times...... Its been quite lately!! Lucky me.

newbie..:grin2:

Dawg

Enlightened
chmsam said:
Racoons can be extraordinarily nasty.

I had one climb up a downspout in the middle of the night and peek into a second story bedroom window of an apartment we had years ago. It tried real hard to get in even after we were wide awake and making nasty anti-racoon noises. A bucket of water and the resulting two story drop changed its mind. At that time my wife was opposed to a shotgun and #4 shot with a then 4 year old in the house. Almost changed her mind on the spot, though.

One of her brothers had a sow racoon get into the kitchen in the middle of the night. Apparently a couple of shots from a .38 might have been enough to wake up the neighbors, so he went the "swing away" method. Home run!

Ah, the quiet life in the country...
Yep the ole swing away method. I had one fighting with my dogs one night a few years ago. I went out and didn't see anything. I had a Mag 4D and I was looking around, when I hear a hiss from a few feet away at slightly higher than my head. There was a big un up the downspout on the side of my house where my dogs "Tree'd" him. He was no more than 3 feet from my face. Scared me shitless. I wacked him with that 4D and he went flying off the downspout and he hit the ground running. When he got to the street, you could hear his claws scraping on the blacktop trying to get traction.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Metro said:
No handgun? Obviously you would'nt have shot the racoon but what if that turned out to be a new age night stalker instead of a coon when you lit the room up? You've got a flashlight and little baseball bat, not good. Wakeup call dude.

Well... i'm sure a really bright light would've really surprised the perp anyways. He could've pretended to have a big gun in his hand and the dude wouldn't have been able to see anything except the shadow if he was lucky. It would be in his best interest to bolt.