Opinions on my bezel mod please?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw that last photo on my phone earlier, but it wasn't until looking at it just now on my computer screen that I see how magnificent your work is. You could probably earn a little cash modifying bezels for the HDS junkies around here.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately the time it probably took him to do this wouldn't be worth it for him to do it for others.

I think it turned out great, one helluva job.

I agree that polished will not hold up well with use but it sure is purdy.
I also actually like the tamed crenelation of the hds bezel and could come in hand in an emergency situation where one might need to break a window

Stoneking

Enlightened
Nope, all done by hand. I sure would love to have a lathe to play around with though.

One more pic. I've done a little work on the clip now.

3hacs2h.jpg

Very impressive, I'd say your hard word was worth it. It looks quite unique and pretty damn good!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Nope, all done by hand. I sure would love to have a lathe to play around with though.

One more pic. I've done a little work on the clip now.

3hacs2h.jpg

Wait. When you say by hand you mean you spun it in something and used files and paper to work it right?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure hope he didn't have to hand file the whole thing then hand polish to get that mirror finish....way too much work. I imagine he had some aid like a dremel or something but who knows

Warden

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again for all nice comments! :thanks:

I sure hope he didn't have to hand file the whole thing then hand polish to get that mirror finish....way too much work. I imagine he had some aid like a dremel or something but who knows

Dremel? Oh man no. Those things have ruined more people's project than helped I think. You can use those from 5,000 to like 30,000 RPM and it only takes one of those revolutions to ruin a project. Make an almost imperceptible pause with a with a sanding or stone bit and you will remove too much material from your project leaving it unsymmetrical, polishing with the Dremel felt wheels can easily in a heartbeat leave you with a wave or ripples in the finish. They will be nice and shiny waves or ripples, but they will still be noticeable and won't make that perfect finish.

Ok, sorry for the rant. I just really really hate Dremel and other rotary tools. I know there are some Dremel pros out there, but from what I've seen they are definitely in the minority.

:wave: