Project Bezel from special metal

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a study which makes sloths look recklessly hyperactive, divers documenting the movements of olms (also known as the proteus) in Herzegovinian caves found that over a decade, individuals tended to move less than 10 metres in total.

However, one extraordinarily inert individual was found not to have bothered moving once in over seven years.

"Taken from an Independent UK article"

Fascinating creature!

Wikipedia said:
Paul Kammerer reported that female olm gave birth to live young in water at or below 13 °C (55 °F) and laid eggs at higher, but rigorous observations have not confirmed that...

The average is 35 eggs and the adult female typically breeds every 12.5 years...

Controlled experiments have shown that an olm can survive up to 10 years without food....

Olms are gregarious, and usually aggregate either under stones or in fissures....

The male can start courtship even without the presence of a female. He chases other males away from the chosen area, and may then secrete a female-attracting pheromone. When the female approaches, he starts to circle around her and fan her with his tail. Then he starts to touch the female's body with his snout, and the female touches his cloaca with her snout. At that point, he starts to move forward with a twitching motion, and the female follows. He then deposits the spermatophore, and the animals keep moving forward until the female hits it with her cloaca, after which she stops and stands still....

Longevity is estimated at up to 58 years. A study published in Biology Letters estimated that they have a maximum lifespan of over 100 years and that the lifespan of an average adult is around 68.5 years. When compared to the longevity and body mass of other amphibians, olms are outliers, living longer than would be predicted from their size....

Also, plain HDS bezels look great.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
These bezels are finally finished. After machining, these edges were quite sharp (green on fig), after polishing they became good, they do not harm fabric or fingers.

So I think, but I'm not sure yet if it makes sense to make the notches for the teeth (red on fig) wider so that they look less aggressive or so good?

upload photo

The blacksmith I worked with retired. I think that if I make new batch from damascus, it will be Chad Nichols. There is also an idea to make a batch of beryllium copper - alloy C17200 (CuBe2, Alloy 25). But in both cases, it must be at least 15 people to run.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite nice work. :thumbsup: I'd be interested getting a "regular" (Stainless Steel) bezel with trit slots like it is on this picture in the middle:
IMG-3726.jpg

How much is it with shipping in the EU?

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the aggressive crens. I might even say that they are not aggressive enough! Haha...

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're liable to slice an artery just trying to put that back in your pocket.

I like the smooth bezel -- it's what my original Clicky had -- but it would make it harder to see the locator beacon when the flashlight is placed head down.

robd88

Newly Enlightened
The blacksmith I worked with retired. I think that if I make new batch from damascus, it will be Chad Nichols. There is also an idea to make a batch of beryllium copper - alloy C17200 (CuBe2, Alloy 25). But in both cases, it must be at least 15 people to run.

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm in for a Beryllium Copper!

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were several who wanted to make more of damascus and berillium copper, but so that no one forgot who they wanted, especially me, I created a list in the topic for the sale, if there are those who wish, please let us know.

Stoneking

Enlightened
I agree. Very well executed! Well done desert.snake!
There were no problem at all installing orings and lens in it.

Sent from Tapatalk

I have a zirc and damascus, the fit and finish on both of them is excellent. Zero issues with oring and lens installation.