US made OP Reflector shipping with Special Metal runs.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can notice a difference in throw, your eyes are much better than mine. It really just cleans up the hot spot's corona some.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Hogo, are all the current smooth reflectors the same? Or do different emitters get different reflectors? The reason I ask is because I have older smooth reflectors that are more polished and mirror like. These have tiny machine marks that some didn't like...I don't mind at all. Recently, I acquired a 300 XP-L (3900k) and it is smooth, but it looks very lightly frosted. Machine marks are less noticeable. The beam is also very nice. Was there a change or is this just normal variation from batch to batch?

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now, I have a heavily stippled 140 GD and a 300 WW with a very smooth reflector. One would have to be hard pressed to not be able to see the throw difference between those two lights. Very hard pressed. The more than double lumen output light comes nowhere close to the throw of the GD, despite the reflectors. One really only needs to talk with Vinh about his use of the tiny black Oslon emitter for long distance throw.

It it makes me wonder how far the GD would throw with the 300 reflector. Hmmm....

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Hogo, are all the current smooth reflectors the same? Or do different emitters get different reflectors? The reason I ask is because I have older smooth reflectors that are more polished and mirror like. These have tiny machine marks that some didn't like...I don't mind at all. Recently, I acquired a 300 XP-L (3900k) and it is smooth, but it looks very lightly frosted. Machine marks are less noticeable. The beam is also very nice. Was there a change or is this just normal variation from batch to batch?

It is a normal variance. Doesn't effect output as each light is calibrated with it's own reflector.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now, I have a heavily stippled 140 GD and a 300 WW with a very smooth reflector. One would have to be hard pressed to not be able to see the throw difference between those two lights. Very hard pressed. The more than double lumen output light comes nowhere close to the throw of the GD, despite the reflectors. One really only needs to talk with Vinh about his use of the tiny black Oslon emitter for long distance throw.

It it makes me wonder how far the GD would throw with the 300 reflector. Hmmm....

I noticed the seemingly longer throw of the Golden Dragon compared to my other HDS current lights. I believe it is due to the very small size of the Golden Dragon emitter. Wonder if they still make the Golden Dragon emitters? If so, that might be another special emitter for HDS to offer. I would purchase a HDS light with one. (but I would not try to reuse one from a ten year old light).

Found this, but I do not know if they will work in HDS lights: (maybe a nice 4500K neutral white for an aluminum light?)

https://www.mouser.com/Osram-Opto-S...den-Dragon-Series/_/N-8usfj?P=1yyjzvzZ1z0j7bw

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the HDS with the smooth reflector is 97% perfect. Swapping out the smooth reflector for the orange peel would up the perfection score to 99%.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
It funny, I usually hate sharp transitions but the current smooth reflector (with the "machining marks" which might be why it helps) for some reason doesn't bother me. I even had an OP reflector and I was hard pressed to notice a big difference. I would like to try this one if it doesn't affect throw too much.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is neither more nor less throw with either reflector but the OP makes it a hair more useful beam... to me anyway. I m a throw hog and I don't do walls! OP is a great bonus

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is neither more nor less throw with either reflector but the OP makes it a hair more useful beam

Whether OP or smooth has more throw can be tested. Just have to check the cd/lux at a given distance, right?

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
This might not be the best place for this question - and perhaps it has already been answered - but why is it that the ~$300 aluminum lights are viewed as the red-headed stepchild when it comes to available "limited" emitters and now this reflector?

It sounds like from the posts Dan made that these are basically engineering samples that passed muster at HDS HQ. Glad to see those who ponied up way more than $300 for the special run metals get first shot at them. Adds to the exclusivity. And no, I don't have a special run light inbound.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whether OP or smooth has more throw can be tested. Just have to check the cd/lux at a given distance, right?

You may see a difference on the sphere but the eyes are questionable and not a "noticeable " difference in throw. Beam quality wise I prefer the op. So my brain says.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
This OP reflector looks really nice. Is the inner geometry the same like the regular one? The picture that hogo made looks like the new one is a little bit more "curved"!?