Opus BT-C3100 2.2-Comparison-New and Exchanged.

Capolini

Banned
Re: FENIX AND OPUS:UNIFICATION, DEDICATION AND EDIFICATION!!!

I am having fun! I hope the millions following this thread are also enjoying themselves!

SLOT COMPARISON ANALYSIS

Device:Opus BT-C3100 2.2

Battery:Soshine 18650 3400mAh protected

Purchased: 8.27.2014

Born on date:11.15.2013

Torch used in:TK75vn V4

Discharge rate:1Amp

Cycles: 230

Slot #1-3146mAh-3h9m
Slot #2-3245mAh-3h9m
Slot #3-3237mAh-3h8m
Slot #4-3278mAh-3h12m

Largest Differential-132mAh-[slots 1 and 4]
Four slot median-3226mAh
Average test duration-3h9m

Close up of born on date:I wish ALL batteries had a born on date and it was required like our food products! This is the best one because you do not have to decode it!

SOSHINE_DATE.jpg

soshine_2.jpg

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned

SLOT COMPARISON ANALYSIS-DISCHARGE/CAPACITY RESULTS
Device: Opus BT-C3100 2.2

Batteries:NCR18650B 3400mAh BT Unprotected- BOD:September 27,2014

Purchased:January 30,2015, First used on January 12,2016.

Used in:K40vn

Discharged @ 1amp

Cycles:85

Slot #1-3277mAh-3h12m
Slot #2-3351mAh-3h10m
Slot #3-3293mAh-3h17m

HKJ tested brand new ones @1AMP w/ a capacity of 3197mAh

Largest margin between slots:74mAh[slots 1 and 2]
Four slot average:3307mAh
Average test time:3h14m

ncr311.jpg

Capolini

Banned

SLOT COMPARISON ANALYSIS-DISCHARGE/CAPACITY RESULTS

Device: Opus BT-C3100 2.2

Battery:Samsung INR18650 30Q-3000mAh

Purchased:November 27th,2016

Discharged @ 1amp

Cycles:3

Slot #1-3037mAh-3h4m
Slot #2-3104mAh-3h8m
Slot #3-3087mAh-3h7m
Slot #4-3137mAh-3h10m

HKJ GOT 2884mAh @ 1amp

MY Four[4] slot average is 3091mAh which is 6.7% HIGHER than HKJ'S reading of 2884mAh.
:D

Largest margin between slots: 100mAh-slots #1 and #4.
Four slot average:3091mAh
Average Test time:3h7m

SAMSUNG_30_Q.jpg

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might be interested to learn that another Opus BT-C3100 user reports that his unit also often erroneously reports 10% higher capacity than HKJ and others.

cpa

Newly Enlightened

Hello!!!...

I want to participate in this thread...
Here is my first test with my brand new MC3000.
3 test batteries, 18650 2200mAh.
On the Opus:

On the MC3000 (you must see on the capacity 1, capacity 2 and capacity 3 fields)

On the Opus: Charge Test, 500mAh
On the MC3000: Cycle C>D>C, 4.2V to 2.8V, 500mAh

Very similar results, doesn't it??

Capolini

Banned

My Final thoughts b/w the Fenix ARE-C2 and the Opus. I know I would be in the minority in my opinion,,,but I am ok w/ that!

If I could ONLY choose ONE I would pick the Fenix ARE-C2. A FULL charge and a faster charge. That is what I look for. The Opus is fun for testing but after that I won't be using it nearly as much as my Fenix ARE-C2. As mentioned in this thread[my 4+ year old Orbtronics/480+ cycles] many of my batteries have numerous cycles and continued longevity and they are being charged at either .5A or 1.0 Accordingly and in a timely fashion!

What needs to be kept in mind[at least my mind] is that when they come off the charger at 4.15V[Opus], the resting voltages, depending on the age/type of battery are anywhere b/w 4.11V and 4.14V. That does not do it for me!!!:sigh:

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

@cpa Very interesting. Your Opus is only about 0.6% (13.7/2147) different from your MC3000. What cells were they, and what firmware version is your Opus?

cpa

Newly Enlightened

Opus is 2.2, and the batteries are three red ones from a HP portable printer. I guess are Sanyo, but they are unbranded.
I'll post a pic this night.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am not all surprised with those close results between the Opus and MC3000, as I posted elsewhere, I once tested the Opus versus my iCharger and the difference was 8 mAh, out of the same cell tested, a Panasonic 2900mah.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am not all surprised with those close results between the Opus and MC3000, as I posted elsewhere, I once tested the Opus versus my iCharger and the difference was 8 mAh, out of the same cell tested, a Panasonic 2900mah.

But one should be surprised given that others have reported results that imply their Opus BT-C3100 capacity results are 10% high. It would be interesting to know the primary source of the error, e.g. inconsistent charge levels, imprecise calibration/components of the Opus, etc.

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast

But one should be surprised given that others have reported results that imply the Opus capacity is 10% high. It would be interesting to know the primary source of the error, e.g. inconsistent charge levels, imprecise calibration/components of the Opus, etc.

cpa and I have reported OUR observations, you cannot argue with that. As admitted, the Opus, and the other chargers here in Cpf, are NOT laboratory-grade nor NASA-approved electronics gadgets so I personally don't expect laboratory-grade specs. Let the others say their piece by posting here too.

If the others have reported different readings than ours, what's the big hullabaloo?

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the others have reported different readings than ours [...]

As you surely know (being the organizer of an Opus BT-C3100 group buy), just like above, many Opus Bt-C3100 users have reported that the capacity readings are often quite high, up to 10% or more. So when a couple users report otherwise, it would be interesting to know if this is merely a fluke, or if there is something more interesting behind it. Given that the Opus engineer Henry Xu has mentioned 5% figures a couple times, I would suspect that the larger capacity errors are to be expected (though one might get luckier in rare cases).

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic

Opus do pwm discharge with about 3A current and terminates at 2.8V or 3.xV (Sorry I cannot remember the voltage) depending on model.
SkyRC discharges with constant current at selected level and stops at selected voltage.

In some cases they will show the same value, in other there will be huge differences.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

Opus do pwm discharge with about 3A current and terminates at 2.8V or 3.xV (Sorry I cannot remember the voltage) depending on model.
SkyRC discharges with constant current at selected level and stops at selected voltage.

In some cases they will show the same value, in other there will be huge differences.

No doubt the pwm (vs CC) charging will introduce some error. But it is not clear that this is the primary source of the error. Another possibility is that (under certain conditions) the Opus is charging the cells more fully (in which case its capacity readings are not necessarily erroneous). Unless someone does a carefully controlled test we can only speculate.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned

I keep it simple. Mine has been as close as 1% to 3%[VTC5/VTC6] off HKJ numbers. Other ~ 10% high.

When they seem high I just estimate ~ 7% off.

I have said this many times. It is NOT hard at all to tell when the battery is getting weaker. My Run times decline and when I check voltages after a charge and especially after it rests several hours later, a 4.08v/09v ect is a good enough indication for me.Actually it is a better indication than the capacity tests the Opus does. The Opus tests are fun and give a general analysis.

HKJ

Flashaholic

No doubt the pwm (vs CC) charging will introduce some error. But it is not clear at all that this is the primary source of the error. Another possibility is that the Opus is charging the cells more fully (in which case its capacity readings are not necessarily erroneous). Unless someone does a carefully controlled test we can only speculate.

I was not talking about charging, but about discharging.
The way the two chargers discharge will affect the result, especially with older batteries (With high internal resistance the voltage will drop much more at each discharge pulse).

If the tested 2200mAh battery was 2200mAh, that is about the best battery to compare with. Capacity will be at a fairly high voltage, i.e. differences in termination voltage and drops due to 3A current is not very significant for the result.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was not talking about charging, but about discharging [...]

Of course. But it is important to emphasize that charging plays an essential role too. If the Opus is charging to higher capacity than the MC3000, then its discharge test will report higher capacity. In controlled tests one can eliminate possible charging differences by performing all charges on the same device (and slot) - preferably the most precise / consistent one available.

Capolini

Banned

Of course. But it is important to emphasize that charging plays an essential role too. If the Opus is charging to higher capacity than the MC3000, then its discharge test will report higher capacity. In controlled tests one can eliminate possible charging differences by performing all charges on the same device (and slot) - preferably the most precise / consistent one available.

My Opus charges ALL batteries to 4.15v. I already DID the slot test with Two different batteries[your suggestion] and no comment by you!! lol!

Your comments are contradictory to EVERYONE! That says a lot right there!;)