Osram Ostar LED: 420 Lumens of LED Goodness

chadne

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone checked availability? I definitely want to experiment with this for a bike headlight..... I didn't see any mention of when they'd be available.

Thanks,

Chad

Opto-King

Newly Enlightened
Hello again,

From what I have heard Lumileds have had several problems with their 5W LEDs and the no. 1 reason is HEAT PROBLEMS.

So even if you can sit in your office and dream of putting 4pcs of 1.2W LEDs in the same package and think that this will do it... I'm sorry to say that you are wrong...

I know that SSC has a 5W LED that is working... but you as a consumer need a big and expensive heat sink... the same with Nichia and Osram LEDs... since the roule is... the more power you put in to the LED the more power you have to cool down.

lamperich

Enlightened
Opto-King said:
Hello again,

From what I have heard Lumileds have had several problems with their 5W LEDs and the no. 1 reason is HEAT PROBLEMS.

yes but

---
The maximum junction temperature for the devices is 150°C. Both packages have an extremely low thermal resistance of 6°C/W for the 5.5. W device and 3°C/W for the 11 W device.
---
http://ledsmagazine.com/articles/news/2/10/19

maybe this helps

Last edited:

chadne

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know where to get one of these, or the availability?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were discussed yesterday at the Strategies in Light conference. They plan to ship within 6 months, maybe less.

I kind of like them. Finally in hot wire territory for Lumens. Yeh, we all know the heat issues, but we can deal with it - come on - brighter is better. :)

Last edited:

Lucien

Enlightened
Are the dies in the K2s any more efficient than the Lux IIIs? Or is it just better thermal management that gives better output?

If there is a difference, I wonder if there would be any point to a 4 die part say running at 500 mA. We already know that the Lux V at 700 mA has heat issues, but scaling back the current and using the K2 design might help somewhat. Or even with no difference... Thoughts?