Ouch! Exploding vaporizer rips hole in man's tongue

recDNA

Flashaholic
Wow, interesting letter! I've always been curious to visit a vape store locally to see what they have but I just never had the time.

It's crazy that e-cig's counterpart, real cigarettes, have been sold rather easily for over 100 years. But this new e-cig stuff may start to feel much more resistance in a fraction of that time due to a battery. Life, man. Life.
All li ion batteries in USA are imported

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said:
A device that super heats a chemical in milliseconds to 200 Celcius to produce a vapor that is inhaled, what can go wrong really?

For anyone keeping track:

E Sig:
- battery/power supply requirements (unregulated)
:poof:
- the chemical (unregulated) :sick:
- the actual e-sig unit unit/circuitry.(unregulated) :whistle:

Old skool cancer sticks:
- the tobacco leaf grade, wrap paper and other unknown substances that are burnt (regulated)
-a match :candle: (duh)

Relatively speaking.
...its a robot vs cave man in complexity. Throw in the final variable of the user with unknown IQ...
:popcorn:

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
All li ion batteries in USA are imported

Now we're getting silly; I'm talking about all batteries...imported didn't have anything to do with what I was saying. So because they're made somewhere else the QC would suffer? US does not have a monopoly on quality goods. Sorry some people think that makes me a commie burning a flag, but it's just not true.

MrElvey

Newly Enlightened
I rated them accordingly at https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/originvape.com.

There are lots of good protected batteries - see PCB protection trip at http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary%20UK.html

Kudos to SONY for sending the letter.

Which will, of course, always remain hypothetical given the top-tier manufacturer's attitude toward consumer use of Li-ion cells, which is well-represented by Sony's recent cease and desist letter to a vaping store, reproduced below.

--------------------
Sony Electronics Inc.
16535 Via Esprillo, San Diego CA 92127
--------
2/4/2016

Origin Vape
4768 Broadway, Suite 116
New York, NY 10034
[email protected]

Dear Sir/Madam:

It has come to our attention that you are offering, or have in the past offered, lithium-ion
rechargeable battery cells, purportedly manufactured or supplied by Sony, for sale or
use with e-cigarettes, vaporizer pens or other such products. Bona fide battery cells
that are manufactured by Sony are at all times commonly designated or known as Sony
"VTC" battery cells. These battery cells were made only to be used in connection with
the assembly of battery packs of products such as power tools, which have the
necessary enclosure, protective devices and circuitry that enable safe usage of these
battery cells. Sony lithium-ion rechargeable battery cells (induding those with "VTC"
designation) are not intended for use without such packaging or circuitry, and should not
be used as a standalone product for instance with e-cigarettes, vaporizer pens or other
products of any type.

The use of any Sony lithium ion rechargeable battery cells as a stand-alone
product, including with e-cigarettes, vaporizer pens or other products,
constitutes a DANGEROUS misuse of the battery cells that poses a SERIOUS
RISK of personal injury or property damage.
This matter is significant enough that
the U.S. Fire Administration, an arm of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's
Federal Emergency Management Agency, released a report
https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/electronic_cigarettes.pdf in
October 2014 warning against the dangers involved with improper battery cell use,
storage and charging of battery cells in e-cigarettes. See also a recent statement from
the Consumer Technology Association on lithium ion battery safety available at
http://www.ce.org/Consumer-Info/Battery-Safety.aspx Accordingly, if you are currently
selling or distributing stand-alone Sony lithium-ion rechargeable battery cells, other than
in the condition and for the purpose originally intended by Sony, you must immediately
cease doing so. Sony believes that you should also immediately notify any person to
whom you have sold or supplied any stand-alone Sony titbium-ion rechargeable battery
cells of the danger associated with the misuse of such battery cells and instruct them to
immediately cease using and return the cells to you.

Please contact Sony's consumer product safety office at [email protected] should you
have any questions or concerns.

Very truly yours.

Julio Posse
Director of Product Safety

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rated them accordingly at https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/originvape.com.

There are lots of good protected batteries - see PCB protection trip at http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary%20UK.html

Kudos to SONY for sending the letter.

I'm sure Sony would have sent the same letter even if their cells were aftermarket rewrapped with a protection circuit. The minimal amount of protection this adds is worlds apart from the comprehensive protection provided in a typical top-tier laptop pack. For example, it does nothing to prevent the type of shorting that likely occurred in recent pants-on-fire incidents (in fact it may even increase the probability of such shorts by greatly increasing the surface area of the positive termnal and running it down the entire length of the can = negative terminal, separated only by thin tape/wrapper)

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Now we're getting silly; I'm talking about all batteries...imported didn't have anything to do with what I was saying. So because they're made somewhere else the QC would suffer? US does not have a monopoly on quality goods. Sorry some people think that makes me a commie burning a flag, but it's just not true.
You don't understand my point. They can be inspected upon entry and sent back if dangerous....but nobody inspects anything other than if the crate is on fire. UL type examination of chemistry and components and claimed specs should take place. I'm not saying they are of questionable quality if made elsewhere. I even used the USA auto industry as an example of an industry that benefitted from regulation.

Oh... And you said "not imported". I didn't understand how direct buy differs from imported.

You do realize we basically agree right? We both want a safe product that lives up to manufacturers' claimed specs.

I also think modded vaping devices are just too dangerous.

Last edited:

MrElvey

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure Sony would have sent the same letter even if their cells were aftermarket rewrapped with a protection circuit. The minimal amount of protection this adds is worlds apart from the comprehensive protection provided in a typical top-tier laptop pack. For example, it does nothing to prevent the type of shorting that likely occurred in recent pants-on-fire incidents (in fact it may even increase the probability of such shorts by greatly increasing the surface area of the positive termnal and running it down the entire length of the can = negative terminal, separated only by thin tape/wrapper)

My understanding of in-cell protection systems is that they're a lot better than minimal, and do prevent or mitigate some pant-on-fire incidents. I bet there's good scientific reasoning behind the batteries in Teslas having in-cell protection systems, not just larger systems.

ven

Flashaholic
Would be interesting what sony think of their cells in a sealed tube, air and water tight with no vents as well. This thing called a flashlight............

Afaik, none of these cells(18650's), be them sony or panasonic etc etc were made for flashlight or ecig mods.

Mec mods seem to be the majority of accidents, lower the ohm on the coil for bigger clouds . But not content with a 0.15ohm coil, lets make a quad coil!!!! ..............well you can get mec mods with 3 or 4 cells....................that is serious power potentially in the wrong hands, used and pushed to the limit. To top that scary thought off, anyone can go do it over 18yrs of age, without any knowledge .

I know in the past people still dont think its the vape shop's responsibility and maybe correct, but good business sense to me is also educating potential buyers on the basics at least. If i had a vape shop, i would certainly tell them the basics and even have a printed instruction part to fall back on(baring in mind many do not care, its only a battery, when its flat just leave on charge over night, ready for work the next day ) type thoughts.

Just imo of course:)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Superheating a chemical in milliseconds to 200 Celcius and inhaling the effects,

Where did you get 200°C ? AFAIK, Stock wick vapes get nowhere near that... usually between 76°C an 97°C. The "chemical" is vegetable gycerine or propylene glycol, or a mix of these, both harmless to consume, along with nicotine and flavor, all of which vaporizes at a lower temperature than water. The temperature of the vapor is not even warm by the time it exits the mouthpiece.

As stated by others, the problems occur with the rather dangerous custom mech mods and poor cell safety practices.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you get 200°C ? AFAIK, Stock wick vapes get nowhere near that... usually between 76°C an 97°C. The "chemical" is vegetable gycerine or propylene glycol, or a mix of these, both harmless to consume, along with nicotine and flavor, all of which vaporizes at a lower temperature than water. The temperature of the vapor is not even warm by the time it exits the mouthpiece.

As stated by others, the problems occur with the rather dangerous custom mech mods and poor cell safety practices.

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/how-hot-does-an-atomizer-get.20768/
http://www.thevapersden.com/index.php?topic=2941.0
http://vaping360.com/temperature-control-a-vaping-revolution/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmU0PVnKq2o
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...nyone_here_get_some_solid_information_on_the/

etc etc..

A random search on google confirms the results over and over.

Regardless, there is no regulation on any part of it due to so many different suppliers....and you wish that the "chemical" was harmless every time across the board. Alas you will find knock offs and such more and more. I wouldn't ingest propylene glycol, but hey that is just me.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/how-hot-does-an-atomizer-get.20768/
http://www.thevapersden.com/index.php?topic=2941.0
http://vaping360.com/temperature-control-a-vaping-revolution/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmU0PVnKq2o
https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...nyone_here_get_some_solid_information_on_the/

etc etc..

A random search on google confirms the results over and over.

Regardless, there is no regulation on any part of it due to so many different suppliers....and you wish that the "chemical" was harmless every time across the board. Alas you will find knock offs and such more and more.

I checked the entirety of every one of those threads carefully (sans the YouTube). Temps you highlight are mentioned. That's all... mentioned, suggested, and not confirmed. The consensus of the threads puts the temps much lower, closer to water boiling point, 100°C, and rarely higher than 150°C. And the threads seem to be concerned with hot rodded mods. From my research, the common wicked vapes, non-modded, aren't even reaching 100°C. If they're dry burning herbs, and not vaporizing liquid, then there is a reason to mod to get the temp higher, from 150°C -- 200°C, specifically for cannabis. But VG/PG doesn't need those temps to vaporize, nor does nicotine.

I wouldn't ingest propylene glycol, but hey that is just me.

Wow... you've never eaten a Pop Tart? Its a relatively common ingrediant in a lot of food and soft drinks, for sweetness and thickening.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think there may be a laxative made of propylene glycol but my memory sucks. OTOH my veterinarian has warned to keep pets away from it.

I was once addicted to smoking cigarettes so understand addiction but not why an 18+ year old would want to start a dangerous addictive habit just to get nicotine? There are much less poisonous stimulants. Drink a few Red Bulls or something.

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO nicotine and caffeine are about on par with each other. Nicotine is poison, pure concentrated nicotine will kill you. But not in the miniscule doses from tobacco, tobacco products, or vaping. Also, there is plenty of evidence that nicotine is beneficial to memory, brain and nerves. Interestingly, smokers don't get Parkinson's (random fact). Caffeine has been linked to heart attacks. And it can kill you.

In general, I agree with you. Why would anyone WANT to be addicted to something? And why do adolescents do what they do, or want to do what they do? Seems like they only want to do it if they know its wrong. Its like a bloody mystery. Boredom? Cries for attention? "Look how cool I am! I am bad news!" Or just imitation? God only knows.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I am in the extreme minority. I eat pretty healthy very few processed foods, soda, chips and don't partake of any substances that are addictive or contain propylene glycol. When I do eat ice cream it contains very few ingredients.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
I will like to keep my face... However....

Exploding vapers are why I quit smoking and vaping altogether... :thumbsdow

Most disposable vaper batteries, rechargeable or not, are all made with Lithium polymer batteries of questionable quality. It's hard to guess which you're getting without tearing them apart AND performing some spectacular smoke test. :sweat: To add the insult to the injury, I have taken some disposable rechargeable cigalike (cigarette alike) e-cigarette batteries apart and..... SURPRISE! NO BATTERY PROTECTION AT ALL. I gotta wonder if it was a part of cost-cutting measurement. And some microcontroller's output pin is also tied to the heater coil too - no power transistor at all, in some cigalikes. :fail: (Most microcontroller can only handle 20 mA current at the pin, and I bet it's more than 20 mA in certain e-cigarettes - more like 80mA, which was why I murdered my first cigalike by accidentally shorting it - no fire - only a toasted SO-6 packaged PIC10 microcontroller chip, thankfully.)

Lastly, I have noticed very few premium vapers have battery balancer and protection (which of course add to the cost but it's kind of not an excuse because it can be done cheaply with $3 microcontroller and several transistors and resistors), which leaves cheapest "box" vapers much to issues of batteries going out of balance and catastrophic short-circuits - not everyone check their cells however, and the older Lithium-ion battery may go out of balance first. It leaves too much left out to Murphy's Laws. This is apparently what FDA's recent regulation is aiming to "fix" (even though I asked 'em the question on batteries, they told me that the batteries can still be bought however, it's now the end users' responsibility - and it is up to the vaper makers to fix the problems that cause the battery to go bang) - I wonder if FDA's new regulation will fix the problem in the first place. I know it won't fix that if the battery remains unprotected - it's up to the vaper maker to fix a few design fails. 18650 Lithium-ion batteries pack a punch. I will rather keep my face intact.

Finally, Propylene Glycol is unavoidable, at least there is Vegetable Glycol as an alternative. Propylene Glycol is kind of what makes vaping a bit harsh (it does dry my tongue up - one of a few reason why I quit). LD50 is up to 20 grams per kilogram, however toxicology is actually an open discussion (car antifreeze is about 80% PG or more meant to both raise the water's boiling point up along with additives, as well as resisting subzero temperature - thus actually bad for Fido or even Freddy to drink all of that due to content percentage). Vaping a puff isn't really much of a concern as a puff is below even five grams of PG or less (again, it's more of an open discussion).

Last edited: