Outdoor beamshots: From keychain to HID

elho

Enlightened
Re: UPDATED: Outdor beamshots: nailbender SST-50&90, Moddoo Triple-XP-G, AE Xenide 25

I opened a second window of the post and was able to do some side by side comparos which was so useful as you have a few of the drop-ins I'm currently shopping around for.
What works best in my experience, is to open the original size images one is interested in in separate browser tabs, thus beeing able to quickly switch back and forth between them. Or even downloading them to do that using your favourite image viewer.

Hi elho, thank you VERY MUCH for taking the time to take these beamshots. [...]
The only thing is that to me, the shots taken with some light left in the sky creates a false impression
The time the shots took to take, especially when having to switch optics on the Moddo Triple in between, was exactly the problem. To quote myself:
Problems to be fixed by later updates:
  • Starting with the Moddoo Triple-XP-G, dawn caught me (which shows more prominent in the beamshots than in in real life :rolleyes:).
To the naked eye the difference was not visible (there was quite some moonlight all the time, even in the earlier shots that turned out nicely black), I only realized it when looking at the photos, were it is a lot more pronounced. :eek: Nights are simply too short in the summer. :rolleyes:
But, as it only affected the last few shots of the strong lights, I decided it was better to post them now as they are and update them with better shots as soon as I get around to do these, instead of driving those waiting for them nuts by letting them wait another week or two for interesting lights. ;)

Given that one knows how the very same Triple has the same output (the loss due to frosting of the optic is too little to be deduced from a beamshot) they do at least serve the purpose of showing the different beam patters of the optics.
The beamshot of the Xenide with Diffuser is at least quite close to the last one of the Triple (only about two and a half minute later) for some rough comparison.

I know I should obviously focus on the buildings but my brain couldn't help but process the entire picture
Do not feed your brain the entire picture. ;) Try looking at the original size images without zooming out and scroll them so that the buildings are at the top of your monitor and the sky not visible.

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: UPDATED: Outdor beamshots: nailbender SST-50&90, Moddoo Triple-XP-G, AE Xenide 25

@elho, thx once again. I realize the amount of effort and work this took for you so I completely didn't mean my comments as a criticism of any kind so please do not take it that way.

It's posts like these and members like you that are a true asset to our online community! :twothumbs

Cheers,
Tim

elho

Enlightened

thx once again. I realize the amount of effort and work this took for you so I completely didn't mean my comments as a criticism of any kind so please do not take it that way.
Never mind, I did not take it that way, I just wanted to take the chance and explain the problem a bit more and clarify that I am going to fix it, even if it will not be this week anymore.

It's posts like these and members like you that are a true asset to our online community! :twothumbs
Thank you! I am glad when people enjoy them as much as I enjoy seeing beamshots of lights I am interested in. Thus I am happy being able to give something back. :)

don.gwapo

Enlightened

Great job on those beamshots. Wow, that moddoo triple is surely bright. I also like the nailbender sst90 which is bright indeed too.

Kraid

Enlightened

Thanks for the beamshots!!!

elho

Enlightened

Time for an update! :party:

I am going to fix it, even if it will not be this week anymore.
The wait is over, I replaced the beamshots of the Moddo Triple and AELight Xenide with better ones that actually feature a black sky. :D
(Well, with the bare Xenide it is not completely black again, but much better than before and as it is incommensurable to the other lights it does not affect the result. In the long run I will get a yet better shot for sure. ;))
The narrow frosted Moddoo Triple-XP-G seems to be cursed with regard to proper targeting, it is off to the right again (and this was the best out of three shots already :roll:).

And last but not least, I added some new lights!
The Dereelight 1S XR-E R2 WD drop-in with both smooth and orange peel reflector, to thow (pun intended :nana:) some throwy drop-in into the mix.
And thanks to the recent cheap offering a SolarForce Skyline I and Skyline II for yet more low-power throw (at least in the first case).

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Re: 2ND UPDATE! Outdor beamshots: nb SST-50&90, Moddoo Triple-XP-G, AE Xenide 25W & m

Nice work, thanks!

I have one of Nailbenders SST-90 in a SF P6, with a McClicky+ brass switch. It's great to see how the SST-90 compares to others.

Thanks

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Re: 2ND UPDATE! Outdor beamshots: nb SST-50&90, Moddoo Triple-XP-G, AE Xenide 25W & m

So the Skyline I throws better than the Skyline II right?

elho

Enlightened

So the Skyline I throws better than the Skyline II right?
Yes, by a fair amount, too.

Remember to click on the small pictures in this thread to see the full size ones and if your browser shrinks them to fit the window by default, make sure to zom in to a 1:1 view for the long range shots.
Doing that the difference can not be missed.

The throw of the Skyline II is the same as the Dereelight 1S XR-E R2 WD drop-in. The hotspot size is different, but I compared them side by side on various distances up to 250-300m (which is past what I would call usable throw) and could not determine any difference in throw to the naked eye.

Last edited:

Kraid

Enlightened

This is me, still appreciating this thread! :thumbsup:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

^^indeed!!
might have to upgrade from a 2.8a Linger module to
a moddoo triple one of these days!!

elho

Enlightened

Thanks guys! :) Rest ssured that a third update is in preparation. :naughty: :D

Kraid

Enlightened

Brother, I wish someone would send you a M2-50 to test out! I would if I had one! I honestly like your beamshots better than reading about output in numbers. :)

elho

Enlightened

Brother, I wish someone would send you a M2-50 to test out!
I support that idea. :clap: :devil:
I fear though, that seeing one of these with my own eyes will make me go nuts for not having one myself. :p ;)

My dream is that OVEREADY at some point will do a factory HA (yes I am picky on the details and orange is an abysmal color in my book ;)) turnkey M2-50 light and that I will be able to snatch it/one of them. :whistle:

elho

Enlightened

Updated to clarify that the Moddoo Triple XP-G is the Moddoo Direct-Drive Triple-XP-G (sometimes called "V2" these days) and not the current V3.

At the time the beamshots were made, the Direct-Drive Triple-XP-G was the only Moddoo Triple-XP-G, but with the release of the V3s, the ambiguity crept in. :eek:

AEHaas

Newly Enlightened

The AELights are among the most durable and have a lot of light for distance and spill. I have a lot of lights and the 25W Xenide is one of my frequently used, long lasting workhorses.

aehaas

Fird

Enlightened

Lol, I had to chuckle at the LED lights. Running down the list it's like "ok, not much.. hey that's looking nice. Wow, that's pretty bright." and then the SST-90 picture, "daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang" Obviously the Xenide should wipe them all out. Nice beamshots!

elho

Enlightened
Re: Outdoor beamshots: nailbender SST-50&SST-90, Moddoo Triple-XP-G, AE Xenide 25W &

Originally posted 12-02-2010 06:26 AM

Thanks guys! :) Rest ssured that a third update is in preparation. :naughty: :D

It took some time, but now the third update is done! :party:

These are the additions:
  • SureFire P60 and P90 drop-ins as well as a Laser Products P90 in the old school department for reference.
  • A INFORCE Color - see my indoor beamshots for the colored flood LEDs.
  • A NEOFAB Legion II SST-50 that I got to play with during a local pass-around. :)

elho

Enlightened
Re: Outdoor beamshots: nailbender SST-50&SST-90, Moddoo Triple-XP-G, AE Xenide 25W &

Restored latest version of initinial post and my last post, which were lost during the recent CPF outage.

Furthermore, I did another update and as I got some help, it is a big one, too! :party:

Here are the additions:
  • SureFire P61
  • SureFire P91
  • Fenix L0D
  • ZebraLight SC30
  • ZebraLight SC60:
  • Tiablo A8 SMO, OP & Collimator Head
  • Eastward YJ-XGR2
  • Eastward YJ-XFP7
  • Olight SR90
  • MicroFire K3500R
  • Polarion PF50