patriot act used on banasch for lasing pilot.

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
I agree with James S that we'll have to wait and see how reckless and disregarding of human life the judge thinks this offense is. I'm guessing that lying to the FBI will be the real sticking point. Look at Martha Stewart.

Raccoon

Enlightened
And to however made the comment about drunk driving on a road with mostly passanger vehicles, being a completely different and non-terrorist threat... I cuss at thee.

The road itself should be considered a mass-transit (if stationary) vehicle. If pointing lasers at planes is terrorism, then drunk drivers are Bin Laden incarnate by comparison. Look at the statistics and you'll find motor vehicles are weapons of mass distruction.

Small and daily doses of terrorism are far worse than any Sept'11 crash from 5 years ago, long forgotten about.

noah

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised there hasn't been a plea bargain here. The 20 years is really harsh, and I get the feeling they're only pushing it that far because he won't cooperate (blaming his daughter, etc). The guy knew what he was doing was wrong and did it multiple times. I don't believe he thought he would hurt anyone, but I think if he'd just be honest about it he'd get off pretty lightly.

There's pretty much no chance in hell that laser could cause a plane crash. So Banach is looking at some serious trouble over a pretty meaningless act - even though he knew it was wrong and did it anyways.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
his mistake was lasing the police helicopter that was searching the perimeter. then when the police spotted the location, the police fbi and state troopers came to his block. he went outside to see the commotion. asked a cop what is going on. then lied to the fbi that his daughter was playing with his big ha laser.

AESOP

Newly Enlightened
I am aircrew and will tell you that the last thing I want to have to worry about is someone distracting my pilots.

While the laser used might not cause eye damage it is the distracting part that could still end up causing our deaths.

Do I think he should do 20 years,no. However, I think he should do some time. He put peoples lives at risk.

Michael

gecko991

Newly Enlightened
The biggest killer is the seemingly endless sea of idiots that continue lasing planes despite all the press activity which both hurts this cool hobby for those with common sense and reinforces the Governments stance on how to deal with the situation. In the end we all will be the loosers as the result

Raccoon

Enlightened
Off topic. I just saw an amusing banner ad which reminded me of this thread. Maybe someone could modify this into a politically incorrect flash arcade game.

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
[ QUOTE ]
I think he has done nothing wrong at all. After all, rescue lasers are sold constantly for the sole purpose of lighting up an aircraft cockpit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah!

***ALL STOP***

So you're basically saying it's ok for me to activate an EPIRB, shoot off a flare, or turn to CH 16 and call distress, leave my ARC 4+ in my cabin window in SOS mode all night? I don't think so! False alarms are a BIG NO NO!

If I activate the transmitter on my Breitling Emergency and it's not a real emergency I can go to jail.

FWIW

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The folly of the whole mess is that our own government plans to use lasers to warn pilots away from restricted airspace.

I've always loved the argument "It was/is OK for me take drugs, but don't do it yourself."

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dumbest thing the guy did is get Caught. Government is mob mentality in slow motion. Do whatever the hell you want to just don't get caught, or mess with me or mine.

prescottrecorder

Newly Enlightened
The Government lasers would be engineered to give information to pilots without distracting them and would be a safer way to warn pilots away from restricted areas than intercepting them with another plane to try to get the point across.

And I guess the Government has no right to tell you not to do drugs since it lets Doctors prescribe them.

Vee3

Enlightened
"i hope he gets the 20 years, and even the half mil fine associated with this offense as well."

Oh yeah, right. There's a PRIME example of the punishment fitting the crime.

Please sir, do not feel that you need to push for the US Legal System to be more unjust than it already is. We have enough people going to prison for imagined "crimes."

14C

Enlightened
Someone made a mistake and some others are trying to hang him for it.

It's time we put this into perspective:

1. We do not know all of the circumstances...only what we have seen publicized.

2. It has potential ramifications on the owners and users of instruments discussed in this forum.

3. Some here have done the same thing and some have not.

4. What WE think about the case and the result is not material to the case or result of the case in the long run.

5. The only thing we can really do is learn from this or vent spleen. This may be related to number three or not. No matter, the best course is usually to observe any situation before raising hell about it.

chasm22

Newly Enlightened
Somebody explain to me the belief that a green laser can't do harm to a pilot or a plane. I'd like to see everybody that thinks that's true to not only take themselves, but their wives and children up in an airliner and let somebody like Banasch aim a little green laser at the pilot. I don't want to hear about how a green laser can't harm a pilots vision or how the government points lasers at airliners. I just want to see somebody put their family on an airliner knowing that someone is going to lase the pilot and then tell me that they don't have a problem with it. I bet more than a few would be writing their congressmen urging life without parole instead of 20 years. I find it extremely difficult to believe that they would be evoking this type of laissez-faire attitude towards these types of cowardly acts if their families were on the flight when the likes of Mr Banasch decided to 'play around'with a laser.

"I am willing to bet if anyone tried to replicate the event, it would be found that the pilot overeacted and filed a report because he got startled. " Huh? If I'm connecting the dots correctly, I suppose if this 'startled' pilot had done something really startling that caused the plane to crash killing a couple of hundred people, he should be the guy that's strung up. We could list the cause of the crash as 'startled' pilot error. How does that sound? And then we could throw a party for good old Mr Banasch for bringing it to our attention that this pilot was capable(or should it be culpable?) of being 'startled'. Or maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe a lot of people think that it's OK to startle a guy who's flying a planeload of people. Maybe it's a good thing. Perhaps the pilot was getting drowsy. In addition to lasing pilots, maybe we could startle them with some plastic knives or some capguns? Liven things up a little, you know. Which kind of brings us to those stupid rules about not bringing toy guns and knives on an airplane. Geez, what will they outlaw next? Where's everybodies sense of humor? Maybe if we register are capguns, they'll let us keep them.

Sorry, I apologize in advance for the sarcasm. I don't want to create any harsh feelings toward each other. But I believe there are too many apologists making excuses for idiots like Banasch. I believe that this individual should be put in jail. Not 20 years, but 20 months would be justified. IMO,he completely understood what he was doing. IMO, he did have a clue and he did it anyways.

chasm22

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
While this gentleman may be a legitimate candidate for a Darwin award, if they imprisoned everyone who qualified, perhaps including myself and some of the rest of us here, there wouldn't be a soul left to make donuts on days off.

IMHO, rabbits are safer and easier to catch and kill than cougars, and less hassle for the hunter. While going to the trouble of preparing a barbecue for this bunny, the real threats are free, and making good use of their time.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, we'll have a safer earth! who wants clowns to make my donuts? your analogy is interesting! but rabbits can cause alot of damage. they may not think about their actions, but he can just as easily bring down a plane as the couger. the couger plans their action. they are the predator most difficult to catch. they require more resource, they wont make you donuts. they are the takers/destroyers in/of society.

gecko991

Newly Enlightened
The Couger has time to wait in ambush for the rabbit to finish eating the donut left unattended.

Bengal

Newly Enlightened
I think its time for everyone to take a cold shower!
The best comments iv'e heard is from 14c.
Gezz, sounds like a bunch of school kids, did too! did not!
Everyone has thier own cutting point, but I havent seen much good discussion, just emotional ranting.

It all comes down to self restraint and responsibility.
Personally I think this plane spotting incident is scapegoating.
the guy is gonna be made an example for everyone, probably in excess of anything he has done.
Yea, some want to pat him on the back and some want to hang him.

Unfortunately we live in a socity that always points the finger at someone else, no matter whos fault it is.

Bottom line, be responsible for yourself, Live without having to fight your own conscience. We all know whats right and wrong, stop trying to see what you can get away with.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
did he know it was right to pass the blame onto his daughter? was it right to lase the police helicopter. he's shown alot of restraint! what was he thinking when he was playing with the police? is he a responsible parent to pass blame onto someone else? a minor no doubt. pat him on his back for lying to the fbi! share us your thoughts! i'll be taking my cold shower now.

ok, i'm back, you're right! he's just a scapegoat. no harm was done. we forgive you. please do not lase at any more planes or police. if you do it again, or your daughter, you'll need to see a therapist or counselor. case closed.