Pelican Kinglite 4000 LED mod suggestions

Foxx510

Enlightened
I picked up this light from the local thrift store today for $2 http://www.pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=4000 and was considering a LED modification.

The main thing I'm wondering is if an MC-E emitter will focus into a tight spot using the existing reflector. I was thinking of gluing it onto the end of an aluminium stud and reaming out the hole in the reflector to allow it to focus properly. Will this work or will it create a ringy beam?

My other thought was to remove the reflector and use multiple smaller reflectors and possibly XR-E emitters. Open to suggestion on batteries.

Thanks for any advice.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I saw it I was thinking maybe a small HID would fit in there. Got the dimensions of the inside? Very nice buy for $2

I think a 11.1V 6600ma li ion battery pack or Lipo should fit in there nicely and leave room for some electronics for whatever you decide to run.

AlexGT

Last edited:

Bushman5

Enlightened
TWO BUCKS?!!!!!! :huh::huh::huh: thats a major score! that light locally (ymmv) is close to $100+ Cdn $$

:eek:

Foxx510

Enlightened
Yep $2 was a good deal I thought! Bulb was blown but that was to be expected. It must be an older version as it's fully oringed and submersible and also comes with a rubber surround for the lens.

HID is an interesting idea. I think I'd like it to be a thrower so that could work but I think I'm still keen on the MC-E idea, although the brightness might not be so great. The lens is 90mm diameter and the body holds 8 D cells, there's a little room in between for the switch assembly and lamp base. It's about 220mm overall length.

Bushman5

Enlightened
if its the o ringined model with the black rubber lens thingy, yes thats the 1st or 2nd editon of that light. I remember when those came out, the K9 security corp i worked for bought a bunch and we were just blown away by the light. Thsoe lights are very tough.

Foxx510

Enlightened
Yep it feels really well made. I'm kinda thinking now that a cool light would be a single warm white low power flood in the center surrounded by multiple narrow spots to make it a good all purpose light with a high power spot when it's needed. I'd remove the current reflector obviously. My only concern is heat being a sealed plastic light. Any suggestions on optics/reflectors for such a setup?