Pelican lights

JTR

Newly Enlightened

Hi folks, my name is Chris, I'm new here (have finally come out of the closet with my flashlight fetish), and have many questions, but would like to start here.

Pelican lights.

I've been looking around your fine site here and have noticed on other flashlight threads at different forums, aficionados do not seem to collect Pelican lights. Why is this? I think every firefighter I have ever seen has one if not multiple lights made by Pelican. I wouldn't think they're bad lights or anything. Are they not as good as others out there?

Thanks..

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, JTR!

Pelican lights are among the best, IMO, and the people who make them are seriously committed to improving their designs and are proud of the quality of their products. That's why people like firefighters, divers, and people working in explosive environments use them.

For some reason I cannot fully explain (haven't thought about it for long enough), there are some brands that are not mentioned as much. Pelican and Pila are the first examples that come to mind.

Oh, and it's not a fetish... it's a hobby, thankyouverymuch. ;)

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Hello :wave:

Pelican lights are usually very good lights and have a great warranty.
I think one reason they are not mentioned here many times is because they are usually a bit larger than most other lights in the same class. For instance Surefire personal lights are usually much smaller than the Pelican lights in the same class. Many people are in the mindset that smaller is better in regards to flashlights. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the mass produced brands, Surefire is talked about the most. Most of the Streamlight lights I like (their tactical series) are also not talked about much, like the Pelicans. Streamlight's more known for their utility and service lights while Pelican is known for their dive lights. The talks of the forums tends to be focused around tactical and small/pocketable lights. I'm surprised lights such as the Streamlight TL-2/NF-2 LEDs aren't as popular.

For Pelicans, I've experienced the M6 and M1. Both are nice lights, tho the M6 I had had a malfunctioning tailcap. I really like the new M1 2310 and 3310 lights, but as you said, they're not as popular or talked about in the forums, so I can't find much info on them. They're good lights tho. Great machining and mfr'ing quality. Great performance too. And the Pelican M-series reflector (started in the M6, now incorporated into the M1 and M3) is very well liked and newer reflectors are even based of this design.

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I have used a Pelican M11 rechargeable at work for years and found it to be very tough and reliable.It has been dropped on dairy brick flooring numerous times while lit and have had no problems.The 2AAA mitey light I have to say can not take a drop very well however.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chris,

Welcome to CPF!

I think the choice of firefighters, like other public service agencies, may have a lot to do with what their department supplies them with, and what their peers use as supplementary personal equipment.

There is nothing wrong with Pelican, I'd put them right up there with the other suppliers of secondary equipment, like Surefire.

JTR said:
Hi folks, my name is Chris, I'm new here (have finally come out of the closet with my flashlight fetish), and have many questions, but would like to start here.

I think every firefighter I have ever seen has one if not multiple lights made by Pelican. I wouldn't think they're bad lights or anything. Are they not as good as others out there?

dragoman

Enlightened
Hi,

I use a Pelican Super Sabre 3C light for work in power plants......mostly for the throw, that thing is a laser beam....

its tough, and when I broke the clip Pelican sent me two new ones in the mail no questions asked...

dragoman

qarawol

Enlightened
Hi JTR,

Welcome to CPF.

Keep reading, you'll be well informed here.

I use Pelicans almost everyday. I am an Electrician by trade so sticking metal flashlights into live electrical panels is kinda' a No No.
I really like the Customer Service Pelican provides. Prompt fast courteous service at all times. Walk in with a bad product - walk out with it corrected within a few minutes. They're a stay on my list.

To: greenLED

I'll have to somewhat disagree with you on it being a hobby and not a fetish.
To some - YES. Well as for me, you decide….

Pelican2.jpg

I maybe missing some.

I NEED HELP!

Anyone remember the Pelican LaserFlex 2D's?...

PelicanFlex2D.jpg

Njoy…

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings & welcomings to you JTR.

Pelicans represent a fair percentage of my collection but NOTHING like garawol's! I only have the SuperSabre, Super PeliLite, Stealth, Mity & Super MityLites, and VersaBright.

The 2C Super Peli is the most tightly focused of all my lights - tighter than the SureFire E1L, for sure.

Stick around and enjoy yourself.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think LifeNra hit it on the spot!! I have a Pelican light that is really neat but a little too big for edc, but nevertheless a great light.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got another M11 and really like that light for reasons noted before. I've taken it on a few night hikes and found it to run for more than an hour with a nice beam (a little too throwy for my tastes). I have it near the bed as I understand its beam is great for cutting through smoke, heaven forbid I ever need it for such a situation.

Tough, bright, and free lumens to boot. Plus a lifetime warranty. Not bad, eh?