Pelican M6 tailcap

ftumch33

Enlightened
Anyone know if it`s possible to use a tap (and what size) on the inside threads of the old Pelican M6 2290?
I was trying to install the kroll switch and there`s an inner retaining ring that will not come out. I`m able to back it out a bit with snap ring pliers but it stops as if the threads are ruined. This is not the only Pelican light I tried to get the inner retaining ring out of. I have an M3 (3370) with the same problem. It`s as if Pelican ruined the threads inside the tailcap on purpose so no one can switch out the internals.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There is some glue in the threads. That stops the ring from backing out all the way.

I drilled some holes in mine (larger than factory) and used needle nose pliers. (More leverage)

Twist until it stops then a little farther. Then fasten it back down. Repeat and little by little it'll twist farther and farther. The reason to fasten it back down is the clean the threads of dried glue.

Another option is a Malkoff clicky tailcap. Those work great.

ftumch33

Enlightened
I had drilled multiple holes in the ring and used snap ring pliers to get it out but now I have to get the krill switch in.
Thanks for the heads up on the glue. I didn't know there was glue in the threads so I guess I'll hit it with some solvent and see if that clears it.
Absolutely hate the Malkoff tail caps. Had my share of Malkoff lights and not a high fan of recessed switches here.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic