PeLu 8 AA HID caving light

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'm working on a caving light with the 10W bulb and looks promising. Maybe I also make MagLite 2D like flashlight (but with 8 AA cells instead), it should work some 1.5 hours on the best NiMH cells.

PeLu, would a Surge (8 AA'S) be appropriate for your idea? If so, could a non-techie flashaholic like myself rig one up?

Best regards,
Brightnorm

JollyRoger

Enlightened
OH man! I'd love to have one of those HID/Metal Halide lights running off 8nimh AA's in a Maglite housing...or a Surge housing....
something that small and bright...
smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font size="4">PuLu...</font>

Excuse a confused Welsh bloke for a moment here but....is there a private behind-the-scenes joke going on here, or is this a genuine mistake? I`ve seen this spelling many times now, but shouldn`t it be PeLu- short for Peter Ludwig.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
OH man! I'd love to have one of those HID/Metal Halide lights running off 8nimh AA's in a Maglite housing...or a Surge housing....

If only the walls could talk... Or if I could...

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
HID is great technology, but it's not super simple to install in a flashlight. My UKE HID Light Cannon has a big 2.5" dia. cylindrical cast-aluminum heat sink which the ballast slides into, which is also round, about an inch across, and there are a couple of small unidentified items hanging around in the area from loose wires. They might be reverse voltage checkers, temp checkers, soft starts... hard to say. Other than those, a switch and a fuse, there's not a lot to it. I feel pretty sure the aluminum heat sink is drawing heat only from the ballast, and not from the bulb. That makes it easier to emulate in a homemade design. Perhaps the pins are transferring some heat from the bulb. Needless to say they have to have real good heat sinking. There's no grease on the heat sink but it's snug. Also there is no inside shock mount. I dropped it from 5 feet onto carpet and it survived the fall. I plan on putting a special regulator in the homemade version I am gonna do based on the LT 1070 chip. Ballasts control voltage for the bulb but I do not think they regulate it to a steady amount, and the L/C dims considerably as the batteries wear down. I am gathering knowlege from using and disassembling it.
They really are neat lights.