Perfect white led???

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
On my last visit to Target, I purchased a visor mounted CD holder which came with a free led keychain light. I assume it's a PRC product but the strange thing is...it produces a PERFECT round spot that is PERFECTLY white! No blue, no hotspots, no rings, no green just a perfect circle of white light! It actually makes my LE look bad by comparision, not to mention my Inova Microlight which has about the worst white led I have ever seen. The little bugger is about an inch-and-half long with a chrome-plated oval die cast housing in which a clear plastic center section that houses the usual pair of 2016's and a remarkably tactile feeling switch. If any of you get a chance to visit your local Target store...check one of these out. The batteries are also replacable with the help of a really tiny Phillips screwdriver. All I know is the one I have has the most perfectly round white spot of any led I have seen. Does anyone know of these? Had I a camera I would take some beamshots.

paulr

Flashaholic
They may just have the LED behind a round hole, makes a perfectly circular beam by throwing away part of the light. Photon "covert" models probably are also like that (I haven't tried one).

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
The led is exposed, and there is no shroud of any kind. Could it be a Nichia? The beam is focused with the led only.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the led frosted? covering the led on my arc AAA with some scotch satin tape usually produces a very smooth white light with no artifacts or colour abnormalities /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif