Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never tried it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iddibhai

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DarkLight said:
Its good as flushing money down a toilet.....

[/ QUOTE ]

the same can be said for this madness we call flashaholism, eh? most of the things we buy are to satisfy us on an emotional level, not because we need them. whatever floats your boat, as they say.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for non-carbonated waters, in upstate NY, there have been consumer tests on bottled waters for several years. The winner for several years has been the local tap water served in bottles to disguise it. That said, I drink that most often, and do use a filter to kill the taste of the locally added chlorine (chlorination station is very near the house and the tap water without filtering can smell like a swimming pool). But some of the Glaceau waters are good because the flavoring is not overpowering and I don't mind the price when it's on sale.

rodfran

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Food for through as I drink straight from the health dept approved tap water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point, turbodog!
As part of my job, I test water for bacteriological contamination. Filtration and chlorination of your tap water serves that purpose=it eliminates bacteria and certain particulate matter.

I have tested quite a bit of bottled water in my time.
Some of the bottled water I test is contaminated with bacteria. If I get a bad batch, I report it to the proper authorities.

Point number two=the bottled water is very expensive compared to what you are paying for tap water, which has already been treated with chlorine and filtered.
Therefore, there may be times when you are paying more for a bottle of contaminated water.

I am fortunate enough to live in an area with good water quality(taste, etc.). If one has bad water quality(well water, funny taste,etc.), we usually suggest the installation of a chlorinator and a quality filtration system.

DarkLight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
[ QUOTE ]
DarkLight said:
Its good as flushing money down a toilet.....

[/ QUOTE ]

the same can be said for this madness we call flashaholism, eh? most of the things we buy are to satisfy us on an emotional level, not because we need them. whatever floats your boat, as they say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close, I have held a Water Treatment Grade AT in Indiana, For cities over 100,000 people, (highest grade),

And the water coming out of your tap is more likely to be better for you than perrier by far.

And it costs 1000 times less money......

I am not saying bottled water does not have its uses, esp overseas...

but in the united states munincipal water is the bargain of your lifetime.....and very good for you overwhelmingly.

Psst, I use a Brita at home myself....(On a well, darn I miss city water.)

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Psst, I use a Brita at home myself....(On a well, darn I miss city water.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think a Brita was effective at filtering bacteria and such. I better look at their claims again.

Edited to add:
[ QUOTE ]
Certified to remove 98% of Lead
Certified to reduce Chlorine (taste and odor), Copper, Mercury and Sediment

[/ QUOTE ]

Brita

I looked at several sites including the official Brita site and couldn't find anymore information than the above. This isn't impressive.

They do have Brita Fast Boil Kettle/Filterers that seem to be marketed primarily in the UK and Europe. Boiling could certainly knock down microbes and such, I don't know how effective a fast boil with an immediate temperature reduction is at killing off bacteria, viruses, and other critters.

DarkLight

Enlightened
I dont have bacteria, its sediment and IRON it gets out for me...

Boiling even for a minute is pretty darn good,not much can take that....

I moved from Indianapolis to Elkhart and I cant get city water out here on the lake....too far in the boonies for now....things we do for love....

How the Brita Pitcher Filter works
As you'll see below, the process may sound complicated, but it's really quite simple. All it takes to create fresher, great-tasting water are three separate filtration processes packed into every Brita Pitcher filter.

A sieve and bottom filter mesh screen out larger particulate matter from the water.
Activated carbon granules act like a sponge, sucking up Chlorine (taste and odor), as well as volatile organic compounds such as Benzene, Toluene, and Tetrachloroethylene, as they pass through the filter.
An Ion Exchange Resin acts like a magnet to attract and hold the contaminants Lead, Copper, Mercury, Cadmium, and Zinc, at the molecular level.

organic compounds is what its good at..VOC's and the ilk..

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I should clarify my previous post. I have very safe municipal tap water. I use a Britta filter to remove the light clorine taste. After buying the filter system I drink a lot more water now and less soft drinks because I don't smell clorine as I drink.

Perrier? why would I want to make some greedy rich Frenchmen even richer? I also make my own coffee rather than go to Starbucks. I don't buy overpriced Krispy Kreme doughnuts either. Go figure.

iddibhai

Enlightened
DarkLight, I see your point perfectly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif FWIW, we use PUR ultimate filters at home because it tastes better--or rather, doesn't taste at all, if you know what I mean--even though the yearly reports show our tap water is just fine. Just got used to the pitcher when we took it as a backup in SE Asia (would boil the water, let it cool, run through a coarse filter then the PUR).

Does the ion-exchange resin also serve to "soften" the water? There is never any white salty residue at the bottom of the pitcher, but the top part sometimes gets a a little of it. I notice because it gets cleaned out every filter change.

thanks.

Saaby

Flashaholic
We have pretty bad water out here. Really hard water and lots of chlorine. We buy water for drinking in bulk but for everything else (Including cooking and even making juices and such) it's tap water.

Just as an example, if I make ice from the tap it comes out almost white and to pop it in your mouth you wonder if you're sucking on a salt block. Putting it in a glass of even bottled or purified water makes the whole glass taste funky. When we make ice out of the purified water it comes out almost crystal clear.

About the only time I buy bottled water, like in a 20 oz bottle that is, is when I need a water bottle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
saaby, the snowmelt doesn't recharge the local aquifers? how come your water is so hard considering you're next to a massive fresh water supply? also, what kind of effluent goes into the two lakes there?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to hate it as a teenager, but now its pretty good. I prefer regular bottled water or sometimes Fiji bottled water.

I go through about 3 liters a day which = lots of trips to the bathroom.

I might get one of those Nalgene bottles so I can fill from the 5 gallon container.

nethiker

Enlightened
Wow, would have never thought a thread on water would get so much interest. I'll jump on the bandwagon.

I live high in the Rockies and have the best tasting water right from my well. We still purchase sparkling water though. We drink Peligrino with dinner every night instead of pop.

The main reason we don't drink Perrier is because Peligrino is available at Costco for a price that makes it reasonable to drink.

Is paying for water a waste of money? Not any more than someone who pays a diet center to help them loose weight. I don't drink much pop anymore, sugared or diet, and that's worth paying a premium for water to me. Ideally I should just drink the well water, but I don't drink booze and I'm trying to diet. Got to treat yourself to something, it's just hard finding something that's also good for you.

So I say drink sparkling water and buy flashlights--good habits for health!

Greg

DarkLight

Enlightened
When I was a bartender I drank quite a bit of Pellagrino because it was free, ice cold it is quite refreshing...

Perrier has a bit of an off taste to me.....

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
i personally love Perrier. I especially like it with Lemon or lime. The slight citrus taste makes it sooo much better than coke!! (mountain dew is a different story)

-tom

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I never drink soda or juice of any kind. I will drink Perrier if there is no other mineral water around. I like natural mineral waters especially carbonated versions of Pellegrino, Gerolschteiner and some others.

Hats off to anyone who avoids sodas and drinks mineral waters instead.

One concern: these are weighted heavily towards lots of calcium and very little magnesium. Magnesium deficiency is very common. I take some magnesium supplement every day for this reason. If I don't, I sometimes get muscle cramps.

X33

Enlightened
I prefer Dr Breens Private Reserve. Otherwise from the municipal tap.
breens.jpg

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
saaby, the snowmelt doesn't recharge the local aquifers? how come your water is so hard considering you're next to a massive fresh water supply? also, what kind of effluent goes into the two lakes there?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a municipal water supply thing. Lots of mineral deposits out here (I'm a stone's throw away from the world's largest open-pit mine. I live in an old mining town) and they use plenty of chlorine in the water. It's completely and totally safe, but I can't say I miss the flavor when I drink distilled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cold, like out of a drinking fountain, it isn't too bad.