Pet Peeves Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illegal HID kits. Holy crap they're blinding, and because of the "hey look at my 1982 Civic with HID's" factor, they're on all the time. I really wish the cops would ticket them for something like reckless endangerment instead of give them a $210 fine and a fix-it ticket.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
you can borrow my flashlight sure, but it won't get more than 3 feet away from me...I know because that's as far as the chain will go before your tugging on my belt:thumbsup:

Someone need a light? I'll toss them one of my far too many Lighthound coin-cell lights.

Keep it! . . . And never ask me for one again. I've never purchased a single Lighthound coin-cell light. You get one free with each order. I have more than I know what to do with. :eek:

If a person needs another type of light, I've got a brand new Bic lighter in my BOB.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was reminded of another pet peeve of mine tonight when I read a story of a homeless guy who had killed a woman in a supermarket for no apparent reason. My peeve is that the local police referred to the guy as a "gentleman." Maybe one of our LEOs can answer this - why is the perp always referred to as a gentleman regardless of how hideous the crime was? I can think of many, many other terms that would be far more accurate.
:scowl:

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
I was reminded of another pet peeve of mine tonight when I read a story of a homeless guy who had killed a woman in a supermarket for no apparent reason. My peeve is that the local police referred to the guy as a "gentleman." Maybe one of our LEOs can answer this - why is the perp always referred to as a gentleman regardless of how hideous the crime was? I can think of many, many other terms that would be far more accurate.
And in the same breath when a judge addresses one of these guys in the court as Mr. (so-n-so) or Sir.
Both Mr and Sir are signs of respect. I agree with you why would these guys gain respect after the deed they comitted
Good post

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Excellent post. It's another pet peeve of mine when adults sugar-coat things for other adults. I remember reading an account of one custom knifemaker back a few years ago. The news of his death was ridiculously sugar-coated. Words such as "unfortunate," were floated about. I couldn't understand the shovel-fulls of sugar that were tossed on. His name was Eduard Bradichansky. He designed two models for Spyderco, including the highly underrated Spyderco SpyderCard. He was in a car that was driving through Egypt. He was stopped by violent, armed, fanatics who dragged him out of the car and shot him dead. Murdered him. It wasn't an unfortunate accident. Wasn't as though he was hit by a drunk driver in a much bigger and heavier vehicle. He didn't have a heart attack behind the wheel due to an undiagnosed, pre-existing, condition.

I recall that when the news originally broke, it did bother a lot of other members on Spyderco's forums as to just how ridiculously his death was sugar-coated.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
When there's a news article about a homeowner shooting an intruder in self defense, and the author calls the intruder who caused the problem and got shot the "victim."

Makes me sick.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
When there's a news article about a homeowner shooting an intruder in self defense, and the author calls the intruder who caused the problem and got shot the "victim."

Makes me sick.

But we're ALL victims, DB...remember?

One of mine is empty advertising...I should be well to do of I were to get all the free stuff advertised on packaging "75% more... FREE". Try squirting or removing that 75% "FREE" stuff from the packaging...maybe they should advertise "with purchase". That would be like an ad on a gallon of milk "50% more than a half-gallon!!!!!!!!". No sh!@ Sherlock...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just yesterday, I purchased a 4-pack of Bic lighters. Came with two mini-Bics, for "free."

But the minis weren't even packaged seperately on the same pack that came with the 4 full-sized models I was paying for.
(I don't smoke. Bought the Bics to toss into my BOB and a couple of other kits.)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the "X% more free" is pretty obvious and clear, that's why it's "X% MORE free" and not just "X% free". Nobody in their right mind expects to get something for nothing.

I am greatly annoyed when I don't do enough research on an item before I buy, and find I don't like it after I've purchased it, for a reason that research would have revealed. My fault entirely, and serves me right.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Ah, "Free" that isn't. What drives me crazy that way are cell phone plans. If one has to be on a contract with an early termination fee to get a "free" phone, you can be sure that you're really paying for that "free" phone. And while I understand it may be different in other countries, here in the USA the part that REALLY gets my goat is that after the contract is up, the phone is presumably paid for ... and if I keep that same phone the monthly price does NOT go down! It's like paying off a car loan, only to have the dealer expect you to keep sending him money every month. Of course if we tried to force them to be honest about it - they'd just raise the monthly prices so the "after contract" price is where it is now anyway, the greedy [expletives]....

Monocrom

Flashaholic
When total strangers can't even be bothered to say "Excuse me," before asking you a question.

I've had this happen several times lately, and have gotten to the point where I don't even bother responding half the time. A few days ago, I was in a busy section of a mall parking lot. I went to the trunk of my car to find something. Two different individuals in two different cars asked if I was leaving. One was a young girl who asked me the right damn way. The other was a middle-aged guy who - And I'm not making this up - asked me in a soft voice that I could barely hear . . .

"Leaving?"

That's it! That was his way of asking if I was about to get in my car and drive off. "Leaving?"

I'll admit, it's better than grunting at someone like a caveman. But just barely so. You know . . . A one word question like that is something you expect from a tired or drunken friend as you get up from your seat to leave the bar or diner after hanging out a bit. And yet, that's what that particular middle-aged man who most likely was raised better and knows better (or at least should for his age) decided was a perfectly appropriate manner in which to interrupt a stranger who is going about his day. :ironic:

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new #1.

People who are paranoid about the government, media, whatever, and treat any thing produced by the former as nothing but propoganda.

However, if a publicly traded company (like Cree) issues press releases about vaporware technology that's washed through three marketing editors first simply to encourage stock/ investor interest it's treated as gospel.

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
We all have our pet peeves when it comes to traffic issues. One thing that was mentioned on our local radio station today is that there will be a traffic violation enforcement all week, cracking down on cell users, texting, eating while driving and a new that popped which I praise, are these people that have their "lap dogs" actually on their laps while driving. Talking about a distraction and unsafe if the little yappi critter decides to bark or jump at the window when they see another dog.
I've seen way too many of these lap dogs on the driver's laps.

Conversley I'll see bigger dogs sitting in the back seat, which is sorta ok in my book. However, if the driver has to jam to brakes on, big doggy could also go for a flyer towards the front of the car. I love big dogs, had a couple myself, but they were back seat dogs.
Still, with today's new safety strategies, I'd have to agree that your lovable pet should be in a proper cage in the back. A couple of reports on the news so far today was a trucker reading a news paper while driving his big-rig and another using his laptop while driving his car.
The cops are cracking down and I'm glad they are. bout time.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Organizations that don't follow their own rules. Example:

My pharmacy has a sign posted at the counter asking customers to stand several feet away from the customer currently being served, "for their own privacy." Seems like a good rule, right? Yet I've had several occasions there where I get to the front of the line and the clerk is standing way at the other end of the room, expecting me to shout out my name and/or the name of my medication to them so they won't have to bother walking all the way back to the counter where I'm standing! I ALWAYS tell them "I am NOT going to shout."

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
Ever get sick of those cash for gold commercials?
What's worse are the poor unsuspecting seniors or others cashing in what they think is old useless gold, unknowingly cashing off an antique peice of jewellery, possibly worth more than the value of gold itself

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Friends and aquaintences who only bother to call when they want something from you. (And only want something from you.)

I'm the type who'll help out a friend when they need a big favor. Yet, it gets under my skin if that so-called friend hasn't contacted me in any way, shape, or form, for the last 3 months. It's easy to tell who your true friends are. They're the ones who call just to shoot the breeze because they like being around you, even if just over the phone.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Strangely enough, one of my pet peeves actually is friends who call on a regular basis for no particular reason. Sure, I dislike being called only for favors as much as you. By the same token, I'm less than thrilled if someone calls without anything at least semi-important to talk about. It could be maybe they're starting a new job, met a new significant other, even bought a nice flashlight. That's fine-at least they're calling to discuss something. If the conversation digresses to other things, that's usually fine as well. But what I hate is the "I'm bored and have nothing to do so I'll make you as unproductive as me" type of call. Considering the nature of a phone call (basically it's an interruption in whatever you're doing), I consider that type of call as rude as a "surprise" visit. And it seems the people prone to doing this will call you every day, even several times a day, if you let them. That's hardly the once every other month "I just called to see how you're doing" type of call which I can at least tolerate. Thankfully the few times I've met people prone to doing that, I had other family members pick up the phone, and say I was out (this was before caller ID). Eventually they got the message. Either the friendship ended because I didn't meet their criteria of being available to hear their rants 24 hours a day, or they only knew to call me if it was something very important. Sorry to say it was usually the former. People who just call others regularly for no good reason are inherently selfish and self-centered. They rarely change.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A happy medium in such a case would certainly be best.

I'm thinking a few of those friends were lonely, instead of just bored. It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.