Photon Proton (old version) on sale for $30

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
On sale now for $30 at Tadgear. Would this light be good for backpacking?

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, it would be great for backpacking, from what I can tell. That is an awesome price. I think I saw someone also had one on BST for that. I'm tempted.

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
How would it compare to say a lumapower lm31? I'd like to get something in that price range for backpacking, and the Proton looks intriguing right now.

paulr

Flashaholic
I haven't kept track of lumapower models. I think of them as slightly redesigned fenixes, which is probably unfair but there you have it. I'd expect the Proton to have more of a flood beam, which I like.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES! I have used it camping and strongly recommend it. Great UI for camping, thinner/smaller than many other multilevel AA lights, good clip, nice beam for camping use. I can go on... and for that price, I'd get another as a backup.
I actually used one as a bike light when my headlight went dead once, and was very impressed how well it worked.
Not as bright as many new lights, but plenty for camping. I once went a whole week with a Petzle Tikka as my only with no need for any more light, this guy is better with the red option and low levels for super long runtime on low.
If they made a tiny CR2 version, I would consider it perfect for ultra lightweight minimalist camping. ...and general EDC.
On sale now for $30 at Tadgear. Would this light be good for backpacking?

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I'm also interested in the old version at a reduced price, but one question I have in regards to camping is the ease of the side-mounted switch being accidentally activated while carrying in a pack. Is the Proton switch flush with the body or easily activated?
I have the LM31 as my current camping light and there's almost no danger of it being accidentally activated.

hayhay

Newly Enlightened
So for backpacking, would you recommend this or a fenix l2d q5?

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the new one one order ($55 with shipping)...

Should I still get the original one at this great price. I don't have any multi led lights...I bet they are great for flood.

frank777

Enlightened
Is the Proton switch flush with the body or easily activated?

Yes, it will turn on by itself if left in your pocket or backpack. But you can rapidly press the button repeatedly to go into signal mode for when you're storing it in your pocket or backpack. Pressing and holding it for three seconds takes it out of signal mode. It is kind of a nuisance, but better than finding a dead battery when you go to use your light.

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it will turn on by itself if left in your pocket or backpack. But you can rapidly press the button repeatedly to go into signal mode for when you're storing it in your pocket or backpack. Pressing and holding it for three seconds takes it out of signal mode. It is kind of a nuisance, but better than finding a dead battery when you go to use your light.
You can also set it to turn itself off after three minutes. This would be helpful for accidental activation.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have the new one one order ($55 with shipping)...

Should I still get the original one at this great price. I don't have any multi led lights...I bet they are great for flood.

At this price, they're really a great deal and you have a light with a wider/floodier type of beam, without the intense hotspot like in the Pro.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I assume this light is a NiMH, alkaline or lithium primary only light? No 14500s?

How is the color of the Nichias?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Did anyone order any of these from Tad Gear. They're pretty sh*tty as it relates to communicating to the customer. I ordered (2) of these as soon as I saw this thread. I got my automated purchase e-mail and that's been it since then. My e-mails go unanswered and no follow-up messages or e-mails.

... and before anyone asks, NO, I didn't call them. I shouldn't have to.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aw, says sold out now. Shoot. It's rather a strange web site. Maybe not this cheap, but what's the next best deal for this light?