Pila Flashlight Owners

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, are there people out there who still use their Pila flashlights? I use my Pila GL3 every day, which was purchased in February 2007. This light rocks.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have two of the pila chargers. Never had a problem with them. One reason why they have not been replaced.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I sold my Pila lights over the years but my Boss still uses his GL3 (white LED switch and using a bright Lumens Factory Bulb) quite often through the dark times of the year when he is out with his dog. Around march/april he will have it owned for 10 years now and has no desire to get new light. Also my best friend still uses his GL2 with clicky switch which I sold him. I bought my GL3 late 2006 and had it for quite some years before I decided to let it go. Those Pilas are built like a tank, had clicky or LED switches, used 18xxxc cells. Pretty cool ights!

Eric

Last edited:

Dave Huck

Newly Enlightened
Strange, was just thinking about these the other day. I bought a couple of Pilas many years ago, GL2 and GL3 iirc. The GL3 was my go to light when I lived in Africa and needed some real illumination. I even sprung for some of the (gimmicky) led tail caps.

They were never compatible with P60 led drop-ins so I've neglected them.... Has anything changed? Should I dig them out and try and update or sell them?

Cheers

Dave

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone has a Pila flashlight or accessories they would like to sell I am very interested in buying them!

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have a Pila GL3 sitting around with a Lumens Factory drop-in. I don't use it much because of the peculiar battery requirement -- 3xCR123A in series. I do not recall what were the original Pila cells that worked in this. I know there's one that is a direct match to a CR123A, but have a vague feeling that there was one about 1.5 times the size, so 2 of those cells would work in a GL3. Is that right?
EDIT: Yes, 18500 cells. They're 50mm in length, just about 1.5 times a CR123A. Found an old post of mine from 2013 where I had discovered the Pila 300P is equivalent to an 18500.

Anyway, I've always loved the look and feel of these Pila flashlights. "Built like a tank" is absolutely true. I've got a used excellent condition GL4 on the way. This takes 2x18650 so I'm now looking at a Sportac drop-in to use with it.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a ton of Pila and the identical Wolf Eyes lights and a lot of Incan lamps of all powers and more, if anyone is interested.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila-GL4.jpg

Still works, with Xenon bulb.

I searched around to see if there is an LED drop-in available... Lumens Factory has the D36, but the details state that "Generation 2" is not compatible with Pila. So, seems like an expensive mod would be in order. Not going to do it. My thought is that it'll be better to leave as incan. Nice to have as a comparison to LED's and CRI reference.

Last edited:

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Pila GL2 LED for 2 weeks now. It heavy, heavy is reliable. As they say. It isn't too bright but for what I'm using it for it is fine. I remember back in the day Surefire 6P or Streamlight Scorpion was pretty good. Perhaps everything doesn't need to be hundreds of lumens.

I'd like to find accessories for it and a incan drop in.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your GL2 dosen´t use one of those LED tailcaps you can always change the dropin for one with more output. Iirc LED dropins don´t work with the LED tailcaps, only with the clicky tailcaps.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your GL2 dosen´t use one of those LED tailcaps you can always change the dropin for one with more output. Iirc LED dropins don´t work with the LED tailcaps, only with the clicky tailcaps.
I'm glad you bring this up. I considered putting Surefire P60 in it or a Malkoff. I asked Gene if they fit and he didn't seem to know. What do you advise?

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I dont have my GL2 anymore so I can´t check it to be sure but iirc it uses a D26 dropin you could replace with any other as long as yours has the clicky tailcap. . The GL2 now lives with my best friend. I can check to make sure but I don´t know when I´ll see him again though. I think a sportac xhp35 dropin is not too pricy but good choice (sportac have triple dropins as well). They are available at https://illuminationgear.com/shop/ols/categories/p60p91-lamp-modules