Please tell me why spiderco knives are worth the price tag?

xKaidoh

Newly Enlightened
There ar ecertain models that are much more worth it than others. No one can argue that the delica and endura are some of the best for the money. But most of their new offerings i would be hardpressed to say they are worth the prices Spyderco is selling them at...

jura1976

Newly Enlightened
Spyderco has great designs, great materials (steel) and very good build quality. With mule line of knives they made available many exotic steels to people for little money. Some of their knives are icons (Paramilitary,...).

But in the last year or so, on most knife forums people think that newly introduced knives are overpriced and out of reach for most people.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Spyderco best buys are the Japanese made FRN models like the Delica and Endura or my personal favorites, the Stretch and Dragonfly -with these you get great blade steels such as VG10 (performance enhanced if you pick a full flat grind model) and the unsurpassed ergonomics Spyderco is known for in a lightweight package at a affordable price point. The higher end models are pricey but still worth it if you can afford them, though some of them are as much jewelry/art work as they are functional cutting tools!

Joseph08

Newly Enlightened
Spiderco knives serves the purpose well. Undoubtedly, they have good quality blade. Though i find them a little more expensive compared to other similar knives.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I'm more a knife fanatic than a lightaholic. I probably have a dozen Spydie and several higher end knives 3X as expensive as my most expensive Spyderco. Still, I consider my Spydies excellent working blades with incredible ergonomics and they get used a lot.

They make knives in a wide variety of price ranges and all will get the job done. One of my favorite aspects of the company is that when they hit on one with high popularity, they continue to improve that model and often have small "sprint" runs of different handle materials, colors and blade steels so you can get something truly special and build a unique collection.

Many of use believe the standard Spyderco Delica with FRN scales and VG-10 is the best bang/buck blade on the the market. I have gifted many of these to non-knife folks and year in and year out and get to see them being put to use by my friends who often tell me how much appreciated they are.

My daily carry is a $400 Chris Reeve's Sebenza but I still take my Spyderco's when on a job where I might beat up on a knife or stand a chance to lose them, and I never feel under equipped with the basic Delica. Just try one.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have mixed feelings about Spyderco knives. I have had a few, PM2, H1SaLt Ladybug, Police ATS55 serrated, and my first which was a stainless Delica. I like the design, variety of materials, and choice of models but was always soured that my very first one developed a broken lock leaving me suspect of their durability. Further the flood of counterfeits out there makes buying from all but the factory and a few dealers dicey. Personal choice, my experiences with them leaves me kinda neutral.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My first Spyderco was an Endura, circa 1991-1992. The lock failed,and I sent it back to Spyderco. They sent me a new one with my initials inscribed on the blade, which I have to this day. None of my Spyderco's have failed since then.

Bill

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You had better luck then me. I sent it back and they offered me another model of my choice at cost and kept mine because it was 'unsafe' to return. Really thought they should have just sent me one but they said the failure was due to abuse. I disagreed with the abuse as reason for failure but they weren't budging. I got the Police for $40. This was in the early 90s too.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 5 years ago I sent a Native to Spyderco for sharpening after my misguided attempts and they said it couldn't be sharpened and sent me a brand new replacement at no cost! I've since invested in a Spyderco Sharpmaker...

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ I also had the lock mech fail on a PM2. Unheard of by Spyderco they paid for return cost, and sent a brand new knife no questions asked! Tho, they didn't inscribe my initials on blade:thumbsup:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Spyderco Grasshopper, It was quite cheap and is built extremly well being made for all steel.

Have you seen the Manly Wasp in S90V for around £55 an amazing price for an knife with super steel blade.

John.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ I also had the lock mech fail on a PM2. Unheard of by Spyderco they paid for return cost, and sent a brand new knife no questions asked! Tho, they didn't inscribe my initials on blade:thumbsup:

How'd the lock fail?