PM-6 clicky mod???

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The PM6's rough knurling permits easy operation in "combat position" (body between 3rd & 4th fingers, tailcap against palm) with the turn/push switch but not with the clickie. This is a major advantage of the original switch for my use. The Z57 is also operable this way.

Brightnorm

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Snewt1 said:
OFF TOPIC:

Hey DangMy... AU /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif or UA??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, there goes the neighborhood.

ROLL TIDE!

snuffy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:
That means, with the LED module, the light, and a SureFire clickie, we are hitting almost 200!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why we're called Flashaholics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

DangMyNamesTaken

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif I have no clue what AU or UA means, but one or both likely apply, nonetheless, unless they are complimentary, of course.

Thanks for the help on the AAAA's too.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DangMyNamesTaken said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif I have no clue what AU or UA means, but one or both likely apply, nonetheless, unless they are complimentary, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are most certainly mutually exclusive, AU = Auburn University, UA = University of Alabama.

We're waaay off topic now.

DangMyNamesTaken

Newly Enlightened
Zzzzing! Right over my head! Actually, UF. Displaced Floridian held against my will here in Alabama, heheh.
To bring it back to topic, This is great, I had no idea there would be an organized . . . well a group anyway, of flashoholics, as ya'll put it.

Back in the early nineties, I built what I thought was a "unique", heheh LED Flashlight in those little black matchbox sized P.C. boxes from radio shack driven by an "N" cell. It wasn't too efficient, but it did what I wanted, make enough light to find a treestand in the predawn without alerting every deer in the area I was headed in.

I also wrote an editorial for the Orlando Sentinel about "flashlight junkies", back about 93. Who Knew! Anyway, Nice to know "I am not alone".

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
According to Chris at www.Flashlightlens.com the Pel's are sized inconsistently (made in offshore Asia somewhere). Had to turn mine down to get it to fit but it was still inconsistent, and I finally switched to a Z49 clickie instead, which fits/works flawlessly. I know Chris is working feverishly on this problem though.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the Z49 is the standard SF clickie that I have (1 13/16" total L, rear black rubberized portion 11/16" long, recessed clickie) it does indeed work flawlessly. It's a real quality piece. Only one problem (at least for me), it elongates the Pelican's already overlong body to a full 5.75", less than 3/4" shorter the a C3. That is one heck of a long 2x123. I'd sooner EDC the C3 than this. Maybe you could call it an EODC - Every Other Day Carry?

Chris's idea about filing down the body end anodize helped make the clickie more consistant, but I still don't know how to lock it out, and I still can't use it in that very natural "combat" hold between 3rd & 4th fingers with tailcap against palm. I find this one of most comfortable ways to hold and operate a small light. If the light is deeply knurled or rubberized this hold works beautifully with a turn/push LOTC (still my favorite even though this seems to be the "year of the clickie"). My other clickie-activated lights that work this way are the Z57 the A2 and Lambda's Brinkmann-bodied 2AA Illuminator. The LGI was a little big for my injured hands to operate this way.

The biggest disappointment was seeing how beautifully the standard SF LOTC fit the PM6, then discovering that it barely functioned because the LOTC was designed for restricted tailbutton travel

Brightnorm

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
Thanks for your link Quickbeam. It'll sure come in handy when I get my clickie conversion any day now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The gasket is for looks only? I used it as a functioning gasket, between the wall of the switch and the rubber bootie.

I had a heck of a time press fitting that piece of metal into the switch housing, but I got it!

DangMyNamesTaken

Newly Enlightened
Well I got my kit, the click conversion and the lens. Installation went smooth as glass, took less than five minutes, including the time I spent looking for the contact spring when I knocked it off. It sorta hurt, scrapping those nice heavy metal switch parts for the plastic, but it does function better. The "nice" switch seemed a bit tempermental if you didn't push it squarely.

That press-fit contact spring concerns me a bit though. Having that thing pop out during a battery change away from the comfortable drop zone of my living room carpet is a bit unsettling. Think I'll put a dollop of solder in there. The spring is just bare steel, I'd have liked to see some plating. Other than those minor things, I like the kit, and would gladly buy another. It does make the light a tad shorter too, cool. It measures 5 3/8 inches now.

Five minute drop in . . . sure doesn't feel like a mod. I gotta cut somethin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif