Pocket Clip Tension

Robe

I've done a ton of searching and haven't found anything. If there are threads that talk about this, please link them (and sorry I failed, heh).

My McGizmo, now a few weeks old, is great. The tension on the clip is insanely tight. Like, almost hurts to pull it out to clip it onto something tight. Have any of you guys loosened the tension on your clips (I suppose removing and bending them a bit would solve that??)? Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

fyrstormer

Banned
I remove the clip, clamp the flat part in a bench vise, and bend it with my thumb. Then I reattach the clip to test the tension, and repeat as necessary to get the tension just right.

fyrstormer

Banned
Bending the clip while it's still bolted to the light runs the risk of breaking the heads off the bolts. Also, if you over-bend the clip, you'll have to remove it to bend it back anyway.

CMAG

I bend it in place. I have done this 4 times. If the Ti screws can break from this I dont think Don would have the reputation he does.

fyrstormer

Banned
Don also has a large supply of spare screws on-hand in case one does break. ;) I'm not saying it's guaranteed to happen, but the forces are right to make it possible, and since I *don't* have a large supply of spare screws on-hand, I prefer the approach that puts the screws at zero risk of damage. Also, as previously stated, if you bend it too much you have to remove the clip to re-tension it anyway.

BenChiew

Does anyone have a layman's instructions on how much to tighten those screws? Do you just stop when it will go no further? Or do you need to give it one more twist till it squeaks? Or is that too much?
Thanks.

archimedes

Moderator,
Staff member
CPF Supporter
Does anyone have a layman's instructions on how much to tighten those screws? Do you just stop when it will go no further? Or do you need to give it one more twist till it squeaks? Or is that too much?
Thanks.

Tight enough for them to hold ... but not so tight that you strip the threads ... :ohgeez: :devil:

Robe

I just twist until they stop and then snug them up a bit. A little force but not a whole lot is needed.

fyrstormer

Banned
Apply Permatex Anti-Sieze to the screw threads and the underside of the screw heads before installing the screws. Otherwise they will be extremely difficult to remove, and you could break the screw. Titanium parts love to seize together.

BenChiew

This may sound like a silly question but here goes.
Is there a way to make the clip to have more tension or "bite".
I know the technique discussed here relates to loosening it a bit. But what about those that lost the bite after they have been in service for some time.
Any techniques?

McGizmo

I use an arbor press with a jig to bend the clips but for someone wishing to add tension to the clip it might be easiest to remove the clip and then reinstall it backwards, pointing away from the head of the light and hanging off the end. You could then place the light on a table, hold it down and then push the clip down towards the table.

BenChiew

I use an arbor press with a jig to bend the clips but for someone wishing to add tension to the clip it might be easiest to remove the clip and then reinstall it backwards, pointing away from the head of the light and hanging off the end. You could then place the light on a table, hold it down and then push the clip down towards the table.
That worked well. Thanks Don.

erehwyrevekool

I'm pretty sure this technique is possible only w/ though flashlights like yours Don, thanks to thick wall that you made, the threads does not jump! :thumbsup:

:wave: