Polarion Abyss Dual "S"

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've got a feeling your Abyss (and mine soon) will not perform at a level markedly below the PH50 other than some throw distance which may be altered with a smooth reflector change out for the stipple. All this pure conjecture on my part at this time. Again, we will have to wait for Patriot's pictures

I think that's a very accurate statement Karl! With slightly less than 1/2 moon light, the Abyss was visible on both the 800 and 971 yard powerline towers with the naked eye. The air was very clear that night because we had that cool front move through. I'm surprised that there's not more loss of throw and I don't think anyone will be under impressed with the "S" version reflector. I don't think I'd replace the reflector now, even if it came with one for free. This is my new "do everything" HID and my new long range video light.

armysoldier

Newly Enlightened
Chip,

It took about a week. I ordered mine on the 6th and it came today. I am in Cali though and I believe it shipped from Cali. It came via UPS ground and was left on my door step. The only thing that I would have liked was a signature required so they would not have left an almost 2k flashlight sitting on my porch. Thankfully I was home when it came. I hate that UPS and FEDEX just ring the doorbell and leave nowadays. I remember when they used to at least wait a minute or two for you to answer the door but I know those days are over.

BVH,

Yeah sorry that was a little confusing. Usually from what I remember when dealing with batteries, you should let them charge overnight when you first get them. If you don't, supposedly it can mess up the memory of the battery.

Patriot,

I haven't seen the beam or throw or the PH50 but I think this thing seems like a mixture of throw and spread(if that is what it is called). I took it in the hottub tonight and was testing the waterproofing of this thing...worked out very well...haha

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a couple people have received their lights already. That is awesome. I just got back from a business trip and will be placing my order ASAP. I have listed my Polarion X1 up for sale at the Marketplace. Maybe one of you guys would like to add an X1 to your collection as well. :)

Looking forward to picking this bad boy up. Probably will be a closet/shelf queen like the X1 but it is nice to know I got if for when I want to play or light up the night sky. Now that I think as I write this I do have some dives this summer. Maybe I will do a couple deep dives or some night dives and put the Abyss to the test. :)

I feel pretty honored... I have now owned the following Polarion models... the P2, PF40, PH40, PH50, and X1..... soon to add the Abyss.

Curtis

Last edited:

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
What the hell was I thinking. I have 20 or so custom Titanium lights and I like to use them all. I use them for work and for just playing. I have thought about buying a Polarion for a long time, but never seemed to pull the trigger. I thought that they are big and I wouldn't use it that much. I tend to buy pocketable lights. Well then I stumbled across this thread and saw the ground buy, I couldn't pass it up. I was outside with the kids and the brown truck rolled up. I grabbed the box and ran into the house to check it out. Nice soft case with carrying strap, extra strap for the light. Then I thought that I would crack it one just a little to see what it was like in the house. What the #$^$, this thing will blind my buddy that lives in Japan from my house. I so can't wait til it gets dark. The only problem is I have to work at 5am, I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight:) My neighbors are going to love me:) I will be using this light at work. For fun I'm going to shine it in my co-worked windows when they are sleeping. They'll be like, my neighbors house is on fire call 911. This aught to be fun. Everything appears to be well made. Thanks to Ken Good and the deal and Patriot for the fine review that lead me into this POWERHOUSE of a light.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine on my porch when I got home this afternoon. I bought it with the hard case, a match to my PH50 case and one which I prefer for transport. As with Chip, waiting for some dark in which to use it but probably no comparisons to my PH50 tonight---raining and yes, while both are water resistent (the Abyss a diving like for goodness sake!) and won't be damaged by the rain, tough to get some decent longer range representative beam casts.

This light a fine, fine addition to my growing collection of high powered HIDs, incandescents and yes, LED lights as well. The Abyss is built as a tank, just like the larger and slightly more powerful PH50. What you notice immediately with the Polarions is the top of the line high quality design and construction at a level met by few other lights As Patriot mentioned and as will be noticed by those of you who may compare these two lights is the fact that while the Abyss is only about two inches shorter than the PH50, it feels MUCH more compact for some reason. Patriot also had pointed out the fact that the handle of the Abyss is more robust than that of the P series and while they, (P) are much stronger than anyone could possibly need, that additional thickness as well as the threads cast into the Abyss handle (for attachment to a tripod I presume) are an added feature.

I can't wait for some dark skies here and despite the rain, I'll just have to turn it on and.....light up the skies!

Karl

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just know someone out there (here?) is gonna punch me but, this is all I've got so far.... Was out this (rainy) morning for about five minutes struggling with arthritis to get a good grip on my PH50 and Abyss "S" at the same time(if I dropped either one of them I'd be in therapy folks!) and tried to find a decent target up the road. I'm in a residential area though and without drivng 10 minutes or so for some farmland, I'm relegated to a few blocks of lighted street for "distance" shots. Given these limitations I noticed a distinct difference in the beam patterns between these two lights--as might be expected. The Abyss "S" (stippled reflector) provides a slightly broader and smoother beam pattern using the high (45 watt, hi level) than does the PH50 with a smooth reflector. Both lights lights give an amazing amount of light for the holder to use and, within the confines of my residential area, almost too much to handle---that being said, one can really never have TOO much light though can one? Out to my two block limited distance test ground, there was some difference in the amount of light shown on the target--a few tree tops-- but again, both lights generate so much light, the user would not be limited to using one or the other for illuminating objects at this relatively short distance---75-100 yards. The stipple reflector on the Abyss does smooth out the beam pattern however, as I said.

Subjectively I like the feel of the Abyss and the fact that it comes in a smaller package with essentially the same amount of power of illumination. Personally I do have difficulty determining differences of 5 watts given the output of these two lights, I just don't see much (if any) difference.

I have noted individuals looking for PH50 models, evidently in search of the most powerful Polarion. These 50 watt lights aren't being built anymore however so other than going the CSWL military model from Polarion at a much higher selling point, the Abyss represents the most powerful Polarion currently available. Let me say that given the additionaly flexibilty of two levels of output (30 and 45 watts), the much improved handle with tripod-attachment metal inserts, the noticieable smaller form factor and the waterproof design incorporated with the Abyss, this light represents a much improved Polarion product and does not represent any major (if any) compromise in illumination abilities. I have, in my VERY short "review" found that overall, the Abyss is a light most comperable to the PH50....with the slight noted 5 watt illumination loss. If you had any reservations about purchasing this light in wait for a PH50 to come up for sale, put them aside. The Abyss represents the best of the best in this type of portable high power illumination device.

Now....choosing between the PH40 and the Abyss....hmmmmmmm, that's another matter....:eek:oo:

Karl

Last edited:

armysoldier

Newly Enlightened
Hey Karl,

I am just curious as to the beam difference in the two. I was thinking of possibly getting the smooth reflector in mine and am wondering if the difference is big enough.

I can tell you this though, I took my to work with me the past few days and my buddies thought I was crazy for spending 1,500 on a flashlight. I took it out on patrol when the calls for service slowed down and tested it out on a building that is currently being built. I compared the Abyss to our patrol car spotlights and I can tell you that the abyss is quite a bit brighter than our spotlights. It put a grin on my face when I turned on the abyss. It is kind of big but I cant wait to pull it out on a search and see peoples faces when I turn it on. I have a feeling when I pull it out on traffic stops I might be getting some complaints..lol Oh well, Officer safety is #1...

Patriot

Flashaholic
I really enjoyed reading everyone's stories here about their early experiences with their new Abyss. Chip and Karl, both of you guys crack me up! It's as if I'm reading my own words when I read what you had to say..lol. :)

Like Karl echoed, there really isn't a lot of difference between the PH50 and the Abyss "S" The Abyss "S" would probably get my vote as the all around, more usable / useful task light, especially for law enforcement. You'll typically be illuminating objects under 100 yards and the PH50's hot spot is almost overwhelming at that distance. The Abyss diffuses the light just enough to make the transition between dark and "sunlight" just that little bit easier. I noticed this last week when I lit up those mule deer, initially at about 75 yards before they started putting distance between us.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys with your Abyss's (if that is even correct way to type that) are killing me. I can't buy this bad boy until my X1 sells. I am sure one of you collectors need to add an X1 to your HID family... *hint* *hint*. lol

Hopefully I won't be left out. :)

Jonnyg7lus

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all, Thanks to everyone that has added to this post it convinced me to finally purchase the Abyss "S". I sourced it from a Amsterdam company for £1035 delivered to uk.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jonnyg7lus, if what you wanted was one (the best?) of the finest high-power and rugged HIDs made, you have made the correct decision! It is an excellant light and you will not be disappointed! Congrats!:D

Karl

Jonnyg7lus

Newly Enlightened
I cant wait for delivery, The only thing I haven't seen a beam comparison between ph40/50 and the abyss. i'm very interested in the reflector difference.

Jon

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am most fortunate to have the PH50 and the Abyss "S" but alas, no camera equipment capable of capturing the differences at this point. Hopefully Patriot will be able to do so. I will try to get out over the weekend with mine and (presuming fewer violent storms) be able to give a better description than I did in my previous post. I can say that without a question I much prefer the more compact form factor of the Abyss. Karl

Jonnyg7lus

Newly Enlightened
I finally took delivery of the Abyss U2 today and WOW!!!! what a fantastic light, It has a compact feel and smooth action. It has a fantastic beam pattern and having used the PH35 I can say that the beam pattern is very practical for hotspot and periferal light. The polarion is just amazing and the light is SMALL!. I have purchased the light for use at work which is land based the only worrie I have is that the literature states that as the light is designed for use in water after 25-30 mins it may cut out due to thermal protection. I have not done a complete runtime test yet, I'm just hoping the British weather will keep the unit cool. I'll post information on here when I have done a full run test on both power output levels. I am in the process of making a flexible handle and holster attachment. I will post pictures when they are complete. I also briefly did a comparison beam test between the Boxer 24W and the polarion and the difference was huge. The boxer which I have used for a few years as my primary light, it does have an adjustable beam but compared to the Polarion it was simply Dim.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still trying to save up for this light, almost there.

Jonnyg7lus

Newly Enlightened
Well having recieved the polarion I have found that this is such a compact light i wanted a way to carry it on my duty belt. I decided to make a leather belt case but also to make a leather strap to replace the handle as this makes it much smaller and easier to carry. The bezel is completely covered in leather so is completly protected. I have also fitted my belt with a yoke that puts the weight on my shoulders rather than my waist, it works well although not the best if i have to run!!!!!!
polarion2.jpg

polarion1.jpg

The leather works well with heat, It sits well on my duty belt i will post a picture when i have the chance.

Latest posts