POLICE: How many lights do you carry on-duty?

GTi474

Newly Enlightened
(1) On my belt, Eagletac T10C2 (outstanding light in every manner.)

(2) In my cargo pocket, a little 2 x 123 DIY light from DX that I dropped a Q5 and an 800 mA driver in. Nice, handy backup.

(3) On my duty weapon, a Streamlight M3X

(4) In my shirt pocket, a Streamlight Stylus 365nm UV light. (Checking ID's, documents, etc. Very handy.)

(5) On my rifle, a Pelican PM6 with an R2 Drop-in.

(6) In my car in case of an extended perimeter or K9 track, a 2 x D Cell Mag modded to P7 with Der Wichtel's driver, a S bin P7, and the 2 x 32650 Li-Ion cell from KD. (Lots of light, excellent runtime.)

(7) And just for writing reports or ticket notes in my car, an extremely cheap led I picked up at the hardware store. No idea what brand.

I also always have one of those little free keyring LED's from Lighthound on a chain around my neck with my neck knife. Those have to be the handiest little lights I have ever seen. I love that they click on and off instead of having to constantly hold pressure on them.

Holappa

Newly Enlightened
Ok gent's,i'm not a police officer,just a lonely securtiy guard.On my belt Sf 9An Commander with a Z2 Led for back up,in pocket a Fenix T1 and on key ring a Photon in blue.We have a rechargable Maglite in car.In bag a Sf M3 and G2 led.

sgtbambam

Newly Enlightened
My current carry lights are VERY dated! :eek: I'm carrying a virgin magcharger (unaltered) and a 10 year old stinger. Always have carried two at all times and have saved my butt a time or two.
I just bought a Eagletac T10C2 which is on it's way here. I'm considering a Pelican 7060 or a Inova T4 as my primary although I'll keep the magcharger in my patrol bag. :twothumbs

signal 13

Enlightened
I carry a Surefire M3 in a speed holster at about the 8 o'clock... a Surefire 6P LED in front of my pistol in a speed holster as a backup... and when I'm outta the car I tuck my Surefire M4 in my back pocket and try to use it as my main light...

UPDATES:

I replaced my 6P LED w/ a HA 1x18650 Leef Body, HA Z44 bezel, and Malkoff M30 running on 1x18650 Wolf Eyes battery. Basically a kick*ss HA 6P!

And I recently replaced the MN15 in my M4 with the MN16 running on 2x18650 Wolf Eyes batteries. What a HUGE difference!

My M3 is soon to be updated with a LF EO-M3 once I get it back from being bored to fit 18500s.

pete7226

Enlightened
On belt:
Primary light-Leef 2x18650 with FM1794 bulb
Backup-G2 with r2 Led drop-in

Next to me in car Leef 2x18650 w/SF Kt4 with WA1111 bulb
Backup Backup- Bored 9p w/A19 extender with P91

Trunk: About 15 extra batts and drop-ins/bulbs.

Saving for a PH40 :devil:

isc

Newly Enlightened
I'm presently in the private sec/private policing industry [used to be involved with the state Premier's office and railways enforcement] and I' just about to finish a degree in criminal justice, so to say I know a few people in the job would be a fair comment.

Everyone I know in Australia swears by Surefire - the only two models everyone I know carries are the G2L or the 6P original.

EDIT - I should acknowledge the fact that everyone I knew when I started school in 2005 (and as such, the last of em finished last year) who is presently in the job, state or fed, bought a LED Lenser to start with, but replaced it with a Surefire within a couple of months of being on the road.

Last edited:

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
From my last list, the only change is:

- Dorcy 41-4299: now has a borofloat lens. I am getting used to the reverse clicky switch. I loaned it out last weekend; the user thought it was bright, but too long (he uses a Streamlight Stinger - yet, he was recently promoted!;

- Kel Lite 4 D small head, with Welch Allyn 1331 Potted Incandescent bulb, OEM lens from the 41-4299 cut to fit, 8 eneloop AA 2000 mAh 1.2 v NiMH rechargeable cells in a 8AA-to-2D adaptor, at machine shop being cut down by 120 mm and re-threaded to accept OEM tail-cap, and a Bright Star Koehler Model 496 3 D Director-Lite smooth reflector filed down to fit with original smooth bright finish intact;

- LED Logic Striker VG, with 2 RCR123A 680 mAh 3.0 v Li-ion rechargeable cells.;

- Pila GL3, with Wolf-Eyes 9 v Incandescent lamp assembly, 3 RCR123A 600 mAh 3.0 v Li-ion rechargeable cells;

- Wolf-Eyes M90 Rattlesnake, with 4 RCR123A 600 mAh 3.0 v Li-ion rechargeable cells;

- Mag 2 C: waiting for Mag LMSA501 bulbs to arrive to be run with 2 x 18500 1400 mAh 3.7 v Li-ion rechargeable cells.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been a most interesting read. Thanks to all you officers who shared how you carry.

For those of you who use multi-level lights - what brightness do you set it to when you holster it/pack it away?

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has been a most interesting read. Thanks to all you officers who shared how you carry.

For those of you who use multi-level lights - what brightness do you set it to when you holster it/pack it away?
Since it may come into instant tactical use I carry the multi level lights to come on full bright. On the custom leds I use the new D2FLEX. I program that a quick press (called a click but the switch is momentay) goes full bright. Second press and hold starts a 7 step to dim. A press and hold comes on full dim, If if hold it then jump to full bright or a press and hold it comes on dim, then release and press it climbs to full bright in steps. More complicated to explain than use.
Basically it is on bright and I can easily step it to dim. A short press and it is off.

sgtbambam

Newly Enlightened
I saw one of the 220 lumen Dorcey's lights the other day. I was impressed. Put out a good beam with decent spill. It out performed a Inova T4 my Captain has. You can't beat that light for $50 (local Sears). I'm gonna have to get one soon to store in my bag.
-Remember....

TWO IS ONE, ONE IS NONE!

:cool:

Sabre

Newly Enlightened

I've taken to using the T1 for traffic stops lately. Traffic stops are my #1 use for a light. I've been using the T1 on low (about 60 lumen) mode for my stops. I've compared on a blank wall and the spill from the T1 on low is about the same as the spill from the Magcharger. (The Mag, of course, has a much brighter hotspot and throws considerably further).

When I put it away, it's on low. I figure that I use it most of the time on low so that's where I keep it. The low mode is still pretty bright up close. If I'm in a :eek: situation, think I'll be more concerned with drawing my pistol, rather than drawing my flashlight and worrying about what brightness level it's on.

Last edited:

sprocket

Newly Enlightened
:thinking:Hm... I actually carry only one flashlight on duty... My trusted P3D Q5 with the 3 cell tactical body. With a cone and spare batteries it gets the job done even for traffic stops.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm not a cop and don't even play one on TV.

THANK YOU for the job (often Thankless that you do!)

I usually carry three lights on my person.

A 1x18650 or 2x123 light next to my wallet in my right rear pocket. Often one of three Dereelight 3 mode modules.

A Fenix P2D CE Q5 in a Fenix stretch holster in front of my cell on the right side. Were I using it as a cop would I would leave it in turbo mode ready to use.

A Fenix LOD Q4 head on a Streamlight Microstream body clipped in my left shirt pocket to the left of the button.

I'd almost certainly do things differently if I were a cop.

Little story. I got a call from my Boss to bring some lights to his missing brothers house. The deputy Sherriff that came to the scene did NOT have a light with her. It was early afternoon, not even dark but inside that house it sure was!

Gave Boss a Mag 2C Led and I used Fenix TK10. If I meet up with that deputy again she is going to get SOME sort of light given to her!

PeteBroccolo

Enlightened
I got my Kel-Lite 4 D (now nicknamed Stubby!) back from the machine shop, and found a 44 mm diameter acrylic watch crystal to use as a lens at the local jewelry store. It will be carried in my jacket pocket as a back-up light. It is quite impressive light output, given its size.

Hopefully I will have the LMSA501 bulbs next week for my Mag 2 C.

One of my partners had his Stinger crap out on him, so he eMailed me for some info on getting a replacement. I sent him my files, suggesting he look at:
- a Fenix TK11 with charger kit or Olight M20 Warrior from j2ledflashlight, or
- a Pelican 7060 directly from Pelican Canada.
He is trying to stay in the $120 Canadian range!

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
I teach tactical shooting classes to both police and militants, and with me (body,bags & weapons) on missions, are Olight M20, G2 (P60 Xenon) and G2 (G8 LED), Fenix TK11, iTP A3, lots of AW batteries. And a lot more at home as collections. My trusted ones are M20 led and G2 xenon, and perhaps in the near future NexTorch RT-7 and T6A (both xenon) :whistle:
The Olight M20 did a great job at our last May's City Riots (tactical head, and strong LED strobe) which ended up with a lot of deaths and hundreds of wounded. G2 xenon was with me one night under heavy hits by M79.

Last edited:

redbike

Newly Enlightened
Unclevit wrote: " I teach tactical shooting classes to both police and militants, and with me..." :whistle:

Now, you're either a very evil man, or that was the Freudian slip of the year...;)

Last edited:

ToNIX

Enlightened
Holy thread revival!

Anyways...

Malkoff MD2/M61 on my belt, 4sevens Quark Tactical on my right shoulder (default to med for close up work, second mode is turbo for backup).

I carry my TK11 in my patrol bag with 2x18650 and 1x14500 spares.

vickers214

Enlightened
Eagletac P100A2 on Eneloops, does everything it needs to do.............................did replace it with a T100C2 at one point but the lithium batteries and extra size made me get rid as i have far too much standard kit to carry as it is, was awesome mind!

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
I am a correctional officer with the regional jail authority. I carry a Surefire G3 on my duty belt, and on night shifts, an Inova X1 V4 as a backup. Theres also a Fenix E01 on my keys as well.