Polished 2D M@G now what hotwire?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup I saw that and thanks Filipo but can they take 8.4 volts?

That doesn't matter. With the voltage drop under load, 2 x li-ion or 6 x Nimh is usually fine with those bulbs. The only problem could be the protection circuit with protected li-ion tripping due to the large current draw on startup. In which case several "clicks" maybe required.

n2stuff

Newly Enlightened
That doesn't matter. With the voltage drop under load, 2 x li-ion or 6 x Nimh is usually fine with those bulbs. The only problem could be the protection circuit with protected li-ion tripping due to the large current draw on startup. In which case several "clicks" maybe required.

Thanks Monkeyboy. I mostly use unprotected cells. I have been around li-ion and li-pos for years in my other hobbies so I know the dangers. I need to order the socket kit and a reflector.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
7.2 is nominal voltage.. if you want to know if your bulb will survive 8.4 v hot of the charger go and visit luxluthor's destructive tests (in my signature)!

n2stuff

Newly Enlightened
Hey fivemega
It looks like you still have some parts that I need for the build. Let me recover from tax time and I will PM you. The setup you posted looks very promising.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a link?

Thanks for all the info guys. I still want to use 2 li-ions so how many lamps can take 8.4 volts without going :poof:

Of course I do :D :D

Here is the v3.1 reflector with a smo coating
Here it is with an op coating
They also have this one also with a smo coating, but I don't understand what the difference is. OP-Version of this one here.
They all have a bulb opening of 15mm. You need to make sure that the bulb you want use has a diameter of less than 15mm.

If I were you I would definitely take an OP-reflector to get a useable beam. I would take the v3.1 reflector. Seems to be newer. I own one of these and think it's ok. It does the job.

Prooftech over in the marketplace also has reflectors. These have a smaller bulb opening of just 0,377" which equals 0.958mm. These are better for smaller bulbs like the ones from WA.

Last edited:

n2stuff

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Drive for the info. I am looking at the Hikari JC-5607 bulb and a fivemega 8aa holder now. This stuff is so crazy compared to my other hobbies. Way to many choices:eek: I do still like the idea of running just 2 cells ves 8aa but oh well.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Drive for the info. I am looking at the Hikari JC-5607 bulb and a fivemega 8aa holder now. This stuff is so crazy compared to my other hobbies. Way to many choices:eek: I do still like the idea of running just 2 cells ves 8aa but oh well.

No Problem. I know what you mean :). Luckily I usually have very specific requirements making my choices easier.

You should also get a new lens for the light. The stock plastic one will melt if you leave it on log enough. If the heat of the bulb isn't too high, you should get a UCL lens for it. If heat is a problem or you plan on using very powerful bulbs in the future, you should get a boroflat lens.