Porsche Cayenne improvements

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
As soon as I engaged reverse, the warning went away. I drove it to work this morning and the message has not reappeared.
Nice.

Now the only thing I need to figure out is why ALL the lights on the driver side of the vehicle are noticeably dimmer than the passenger side, including the OEM LED lamps. Any pointers on where to start looking?
Maybe all those lamps' grounds return to a common bus that needs to be cleaned up.

Doing a voltage drop test, like one would do for headlamps will show whether it is a feed or a ground issue. I'm betting on ground (winners get bragging rights only).

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
I installed the Vosla 65w H7 high beam bulbs from Daniel Stern this weekend. They lit up without throwing a bulb error so far!

** Headlamp Malfunction Message appeared on Day 2

Last edited:

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
I have not :(

I need to stop trading so much of my time for money and concentrate on my own projects. Catch 22. I need the money for the projects!

It took me at least month to find an opportunity to install the H7 bulbs!

Last edited:

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
I installed the Vosla 65w H7 high beam bulbs from Daniel Stern this weekend. They lit up without throwing a bulb error so far!

** Headlamp Malfunction Message appeared on Day 2

Bummer, the 65W Vosla's WILL NOT WORK (without an error message) in the Cayenne :(

edit: The error message has not returned since

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I dunno...if we're talking about lights obviously brighter on one side than the other, that sounds like there's a problem with the vehicle. Maybe a vehicle without that problem, whatever it is, would work fine with the 65w H7 bulbs.

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
I dunno...if we're talking about lights obviously brighter on one side than the other, that sounds like there's a problem with the vehicle. Maybe a vehicle without that problem, whatever it is, would work fine with the 65w H7 bulbs.

Yes, that is the problem. It's odd in that it is noticeable in the HID, LED and incandescent bulbs. It does not have any warnings displayed.

Marcturus

Enlightened
Yes, that is the problem. It's odd in that it is noticeable in the HID, LED and incandescent bulbs. It does not have any warnings displayed.
In the HID, too?? Just asking: Did you obscure one side's lamps to correctly compare driver OR passenger side?

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
In the HID, too?? Just asking: Did you obscure one side's lamps to correctly compare driver OR passenger side?

They at least appear to be slightly different coloring which is why when I started this thread looking into new bulbs. I figured one had been replaced and one was original. Then it's obvious the driver side LED strip is much dimmer than the passenger side, and the driver rear LED parking lamp is dimmer than the passenger side. I believe the driver reverse lamp is dimmer than the passenger side. Very weird and annoying when I notice it, but sad to say, not enough for me to spend a weekend tearing the car apart trying to diagnose it. Hoping to stumble across something on the Porsche forums.....

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
Bummer, the 65W Vosla's WILL NOT WORK (without an error message) in the Cayenne :(

edit: The error message has not returned since

It's been 9 days without any error messages.

I'm thinking of swapping out the H11 cornering lamp bulbs for H9s. Would there be any reason not to (aside from the possible error?) I'm convinced that an error message is not probable since the 65w H7s are still working in place of the 55w units.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of swapping out the H11 cornering lamp bulbs for H9s. Would there be any reason not to (aside from the possible error?) I'm convinced that an error message is not probable since the 65w H7s are still working in place of the 55w units.
By cornering lamps, you mean white lamps that come on steady when signalling a turn so you can see into the turn, and the curb and pedestrians/bicyclists better? I think that would cause too much glare for others. I'd leave them alone.

Last edited:

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened
By cornering lamps, you mean white lamps that come on steady when signalling a turn so you can see into the turn, and the curb and pedestrians/bicyclists better? I think that would cause too much glare for others. I'd leave them alone.

Basically, it comes on whenever the steering wheel is turned so far at any speed regardless of turn signal. I'll stick with the Xtreme Visions

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been 9 days without any error messages.

how much of a air volume you got in that section? h9 runs hotter than h11, if volume is small, you might melt the light, i've seen customers cars with deformed lights due to higher wattage bulbs

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
how much of a air volume you got in that section? h9 runs hotter than h11, if volume is small, you might melt the light, i've seen customers cars with deformed lights due to higher wattage bulbs
The light would have to be on for several minutes at least for that to be a problem. But this is ignoring the real problem of glare.

Mr. Merk

Newly Enlightened

The light would have to be on for several minutes at least for that to be a problem. But this is ignoring the real problem of glare.

I was going to say the light only comes on momentarily when cornering, but that is incorrect. This morning I warmed up the Cayenne for my wife and it idled for 20 minutes in the driveway. When I came back outside I noticed the corning light was on because the wheels were turned.

Like Alaric said, the point is moot if glare will be an issue to oncoming or stationary vehicles on the left side of a left hand turn.........wait. I wonder if just switching the passenger side would ever cause an issue. My gears are turning but I haven't thought of a scenario yet. FYI these cornering lights are built into the headlamp and aimed to the side, unlike Audis and VWs I've seen that just use forward fog lamps as momentary corning lights.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say the light only comes on momentarily when cornering, but that is incorrect. This morning I warmed up the Cayenne for my wife and it idled for 20 minutes in the driveway. When I came back outside I noticed the corning light was on because the wheels were turned.
Yikes, that could get melty.

wonder if just switching the passenger side would ever cause an issue. My gears are turning but I haven't thought of a scenario yet. FYI these cornering lights are built into the headlamp and aimed to the side, unlike Audis and VWs I've seen that just use forward fog lamps as momentary corning lights.
You never made a right turn at an intersection? Been in a parking garage? Driven on switchbacks in the mountains?