Portable internet satellite or antenna?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Anyone know anything about portable internet satellite systems?

I just got thinking how nice it could be to have a unit like I see some mobile homes traveling with that would allow me to set it up anytime I change locations rather than having to pay to have a new satellite dish set up each time.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I camp a lot and carry a wifi Yagi, I got it from Amazon. With a light weight collapsible 11 foot umbrella pole I can pick up WIFI signals almost a mile away. It is $99.95. It really helps if you are at a campground that has a free signal and you are having issues receiving it. I had the first version, but when I went to order a seconded one, they have done some upgrades. The new one is insanely powerful. I have picked up and used a open signal over a mile away.
Just make sure you order a high quality long USB cable. Zip tie the Yagi to the pole and start rotating it very very slowly. You will be SHOCKED.

This is of course if there are open signals around where you go. It amazes me how many are WIDE open! Thank goodness for uneducated internet security folks. I can't imagine how easy it would be for a hacker to have at some of these folks computers.
After I got it, I went to about a dozen neighbors and told them to password their open networks. Most had no idea, most often heard, went something like this: "my 14 y/o grand kid set that up".

Search this:
[h=1]High Power USB-Yagi Plug and Play directional WiFi Antenna 802.11n 2200mW[/h]

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info on the Yagi, and I'm definitely going to look into getting one for myself.

My original search was for something that could be used anywhere, but to tell the truth I hadn't even considered this type of option. Maybe I'll be getting a couple of options lined up to cover all bases.

Bill, thanks for the push, and good to see you back!

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I camp a lot and carry a wifi Yagi, I got it from Amazon. With a light weight collapsible 11 foot umbrella pole I can pick up WIFI signals almost a mile away. It is $99.95. It really helps if you are at a campground that has a free signal and you are having issues receiving it. I had the first version, but when I went to order a seconded one, they have done some upgrades. The new one is insanely powerful. I have picked up and used a open signal over a mile away.
Just make sure you order a high quality long USB cable. Zip tie the Yagi to the pole and start rotating it very very slowly. You will be SHOCKED.

This is of course if there are open signals around where you go. It amazes me how many are WIDE open! Thank goodness for uneducated internet security folks. I can't imagine how easy it would be for a hacker to have at some of these folks computers.
After I got it, I went to about a dozen neighbors and told them to password their open networks. Most had no idea, most often heard, went something like this: "my 14 y/o grand kid set that up".

Search this:
High Power USB-Yagi Plug and Play directional WiFi Antenna 802.11n 2200mW

Interesting. But I am foggy, still. This is a high gain, portable antenna that you carry around in a book bag, pop out (how high? Pole needed). Then it pulls signal, and retransmit it via some alpha box with whip antena, so your family's cell phones, tablets, notebooks can get the signal.? But need bidirectional transmission; how would that work.? If just usb output, then cell phone connection impossible , and need for sw and driver- another nightmare? Then, how to tell which generation is which?

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
degarb, I must warn you, I am no expert, and I slept at home last night. :) I just like to tinker and play with stuff. I don't own much that hasn't been modified or "adjusted". lol So I don't know all the technical stuff on how it all works. It just works! ha!

So, It is a High Gain Yagi, It doesn't need the pole. That is a "accessory" I came up with. It comes with a mini, camera like, desk top tripod. So it can just be set on your desk. But I like to tinker, so I rigged up some poles. A chain link fence pole works excellent by the way.

So, for entertainment yesterday, I put the Yagi on a 30 foot pole and was able to log in to a Wifi signal right at 2 miles away. Connection strength was strong, but there was some latency. One issue I see is that I had to put two 25 foot USB cables together. I am sure at a 50 foot cable distance, there is some signal loss. The wifi signal travels at the speed of light. :) Your performance will vary, due to weather, and topography, and other possible signal interference.

The key to this is to go SLOW. Once you get the pole raised, let the antenna point in a populated area for about 3 or 4 min, then only move it in say 10 mm increments. I went clockwise. It is a slow process, but it is amazing. At one point I had over 35 Wifi signals populating my list. Next is trying to see which are open. I look for Guest. Restaurants, are a good target too. Look for Starbucks, Taco-Bel, Wendy's and you get the idea.

"How to connect??" It connects directly to your device (PC, Laptop whatever) via USB. If that device has a Wifi hotspot, you turn that on, then rebroadcast the signal. Thats how I do it so the kids Wifi only iPad can get signal.

"How to tell which Generation is which??" My friend asked the same question, he said he called and was told they only have the newer generation now for sale. That was amazon. I can PM you a link to the listing sale that we used if you or anyone is interested.

Does any of that help give you a better idea??

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
"It connects directly to your device (PC, Laptop whatever) via USB. If that device has a Wifi hotspot, you turn that on, then rebroadcast the signal. Thats how I do it so the kids Wifi only iPad can get signal."

Don't you need this?
http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036H-802-11b-Wireless-network/dp/B002WCEWU8 coming off antenna? I just can't see how antenna plugged into usb would work to gain the wifi signal. Don't wifi cards have antenna built in? Is this the setup? http://store.rokland.com/products/a...6-dbi-yagi-antenna-5m-lmr-200-extension-cable ?

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
And did you get yours to work plugged into micro usb? My old symbian could do hotspot, but sure got hot and sucked the juice.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the original question,the Sat.Internet options are just like those for Sat. of any kind.
If you can set up the dish yourself then there is no difference at all between getting one installed for you or doing it yourself aside from saving the install fee of course.

There is no real trick to setting one up other than doing it enough to feel comfortable with the process so that it becomes intuitive to you.
The most important thing is getting the base as level as possible so the antenna can be swept to find the Sats,they are 23,000 miles away and the dish is pretty tiny!

There are fully automatic units that you can just plop down and let them do all the work but of course thise are more expensive than just snagging a dish and learning it for yourself.

The other issue at least here in the U.S. is that the fastest Sat. internet is just not that fast. Very often the alternative is actually a WiFi based service but one that is long range like Ubiquity service that can provide better throughput with less data throttling than a typical Sat. connection.
If you are in a constant location the WiFi is a better option as you simply aim an antenna directly at the tower.
If you will be moving around the Sat may be better.

I also camp a lot but I just use a Cellular Hotspot or MiFi mostly. The coverage is usually decent and it is simple to use,turn it on and go!

It really depends a lot on your specific needs and expectations but it is not at all difficult to set up a Sat. system yourself just a little tricky at first.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
There are fully automatic units that you can just plop down and let them do all the work but of course thise are more expensive than just snagging a dish and learning it for yourself.

The other issue at least here in the U.S. is that the fastest Sat. internet is just not that fast. Very often the alternative is actually a WiFi based service but one that is long range like Ubiquity service that can provide better throughput with less data throttling than a typical Sat. connection.
If you have any experience with the automatic units are there ones you would suggest over others?

I've also thought of getting one of the pocket-sized units that I've been seeing more of lately, although it wouldn't work at all in my present location. Hence the great interest in the portable satellite dish too.

1DaveN

Enlightened
If you are in a constant location the WiFi is a better option as you simply aim an antenna directly at the tower.
If you will be moving around the Sat may be better.

I also camp a lot but I just use a Cellular Hotspot or MiFi mostly.

I just used satellite Internet for a week, and it's excruciating. An e-mail with graphics could take 3-4 minutes to download. In my opinion, you'd only use satellite if it were your only choice. You can get great MiFi and similar services with no contract, with a contract, and I just saw today where some companies have plans that include international roaming. Personally, I wouldn't invest in satellite until I was sure it was my only option.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just used satellite Internet for a week, and it's excruciating. An e-mail with graphics could take 3-4 minutes to download. In my opinion, you'd only use satellite if it were your only choice. You can get great MiFi and similar services with no contract, with a contract, and I just saw today where some companies have plans that include international roaming. Personally, I wouldn't invest in satellite until I was sure it was my only option.
I certainly agree with that assessment but I presume that since the O.P. asked they have a good reason to stick with this?
I also have no idea at all what Sat Internet might be like in that area of the world and it might be a different story than what I am used to?
Further maybe the Cellular options there are just like the Sat options here?

I just do not know.
I do know how easy it can be to set up the dish though and with a little practice it can be quick and repeatable. I also know that here many campgrounds are in remote areas where Cell service can be limited so Cell Internet can also be really hit or moss with location.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have any experience with the automatic units are there ones you would suggest over others?

I've also thought of getting one of the pocket-sized units that I've been seeing more of lately, although it wouldn't work at all in my present location. Hence the great interest in the portable satellite dish too.

I have only seen these units being used and would never get one myself so I can not really suggest any in particular.

Also I have no idea what you are talking about with Pocket Sized units?
Are you actually referring to the MiFi Cellular connections and not Sat.?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have only seen these units being used and would never get one myself so I can not really suggest any in particular.

Also I have no idea what you are talking about with Pocket Sized units?
Are you actually referring to the MiFi Cellular connections and not Sat.?
I know a lot of people with reasonable satellite based internet service, but they're all semi-permanent installations. My interest is that they at least work fairly well if the number of people using each dish are
limited to as few as possible. The idea of getting a satellite system of my own was fired a little by seeing them on motorhomes and the ones you mentioned with automatic aiming sounds even more interesting.

Really just trying to examine the present possibilities so that I can make a determination to either get something now, or slowly plan for it in the near future.

I suspect that the units I've seen people traveling with are probably MiFi which looked like portable hard drives to my uneducated eyes. I'm going to ask locally about the MiFi option but am still also interested in the portable satellite system as I'm surrounded by a great range of land with no cell phone towers whatsoever.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know a lot of people with reasonable satellite based internet service, but they're all semi-permanent installations. My interest is that they at least work fairly well if the number of people using each dish are
limited to as few as possible. The idea of getting a satellite system of my own was fired a little by seeing them on motorhomes and the ones you mentioned with automatic aiming sounds even more interesting.

Really just trying to examine the present possibilities so that I can make a determination to either get something now, or slowly plan for it in the near future.

I suspect that the units I've seen people traveling with are probably MiFi which looked like portable hard drives to my uneducated eyes. I'm going to ask locally about the MiFi option but am still also interested in the portable satellite system as I'm surrounded by a great range of land with no cell phone towers whatsoever.
I don't know what you mean by "Reasonable" Sat service?
I do not anyone who is satisfied with Sat service for Internet access,not one.
Again if it your only option then it is sure better than nothing and also again it might be a different performance possible where you are vs. where I am but here it is not an option unless there are no others.

Setup is just not a huge deal so get over it,really!If you want to spend more for an automatic system its fine but you are not getting a lot more for just the convenience but either way the end result will be the same.

We still have no idea why you are looking to Sat vs other means though?
Do you not have the option of landline based internet at all?
Wired connections to your place will ALWAYS be magnitudes faster than wireless to the place you need service.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I don't know what you mean by "Reasonable" Sat service?
I do not anyone who is satisfied with Sat service for Internet access,not one.
Again if it your only option then it is sure better than nothing and also again it might be a different performance possible where you are vs. where I am but here it is not an option unless there are no others.

Setup is just not a huge deal so get over it,really!If you want to spend more for an automatic system its fine but you are not getting a lot more for just the convenience but either way the end result will be the same.

We still have no idea why you are looking to Sat vs other means though?
Do you not have the option of landline based internet at all?
Wired connections to your place will ALWAYS be magnitudes faster than wireless to the place you need service.
Almost everyone I know is on satellite internet service and compared to the option of nothing, or shared satellite internet, it works.
No way I'd be considering it if I had fiber optic, which I do sometimes, but most of the time it's not an option.

Okay, so setup is easy, but not knowing the price difference I still can't decide. I've always liked to make my own choices and it's much easier to do if one knows the pros/cons, and more importantly, the price difference. I'll trust that my choice would end up being towards a manual setup unit, as you seem to think it's easy enough to get used to.

No landline options available. None.

lunas

Enlightened
Cellular internet would work better than the sat. You could even get a cell booster with a yagi then point it at the cell tower.

Latest posts