Porter Cable 12v incan "work" light

cobalt327

Newly Enlightened
I've had this workhorse for neigh on 25 years. Has served me very well- only had to replace the switch (once) and just recently rebuilt the battery (also use the battery for a drill).

What are my options for a higher-performing bulb? I've heard there are LED replacement "bulbs" but have zero experience w/them so any input is welcome. Also, the plastic lens is in rather poor shape after all these years. Does anyone have a source for a glass lens (AR or uncoated, either/or) measuring 68 to 68.5mm?

PORTER CABLE Flashlight Model #869, Type 1

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just looking at it a bit, looks like it is 12 volts? Seems like with some skills you could mod that to a 12 volt led with a decent driver.

broadgage

Enlightened
Presuming that the bulb has a standard PR or E10 base, then LED drop in bulbs are available for 12 volts.
MOST LED drop ins are for maximum of 9 volts (6 cells) but higher voltage ones do exist. I have several and have been pleased with them, the light output is much improved and at a lower battery drain.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED retrofit kits sold by Milwaukee Tool handle voltages from 9.6-28 volts. The LED unit is a direct drop-in for your light. The down side is the $30 price tag.

If you have a lot of Porter tools, it might be worth it. Otherwise, keep it incan and live with it.