Porter Cable 18V florescent to twin XM-L Conversion

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking of this one for a couple weeks so late last night boredom set in so out came the tools. :shakeheadI bought this florescent light to go with my drill set and have been less than thrilled with it's output for a while, then one day this idea hit me out of nowhere. I don't really have build pics but I did take it apart to get what I could for this thread, it's a pretty straight forward mod.

First, remove old circuit board and lamp.

Next I used a 1 amp buck driver with a 23 volt max input. Solder the original wires to the input side of the driver and solder 8" leads to the output side. I used a hot glue gun to hold the driver in place.

I measured where I wanted the emitters and used Arctic Alumina to attach them on an 8mm thick 5 3/4" long section of aluminum I salvaged from an old torched car audio amplifier. The two XM-L's are wired in series to the driver.

Then I drilled the holes in the reflector, not perfectly lined up but it still works great.

I used self tapping screws through the front of the reflector into the heatsink to hold them together.

Here's the light put back together.

Conclusion:

Before the mod the output was mediocre at best. Current draw was right at 500ma and I did a test and it was still running at the 90 minute mark, not bad.

After the mod it is EASILY twice as bright and the best part is, not only does it have more output but it also only draws 365ma! Brighter AND less draw is a win,win IMO.
  • Heatsink..........................FREE
  • 2-XM-L T6 emitters...........FREE (left over from neutral swapping other lights)
  • 1000ma buck driver..........$5.25
  • Labor time.......................about 1 1/2 hours total.
Just thought I would share,Jamie

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
All flood.

Pictures taken in my small bathroom with no windows (zero light), 5 feet from the wall. Camera set to manual.

Lights off.

Lights on: 2 60 watt incandescent and 3 CFL 60 watt equivalent lamps. FIVE total.

Modded Porter cable light, sitting in the floor aimed up.

Light and camera both aimed at wall from 5 feet away. Shadows are from protective grill, considering removing it.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Small update.

After the driver on this torched I let this light sit. I decided today would be a good day to resurrect it. I replaced the 17mm driver with a Luxdrive 1A buckpuck. I screwed it to the heatsink for heat transfer and I also upgraded the emitters. It is now running a single 4500k XM-L with a 5000k XM-L2 on each side of it. With the three emitters it should be just under the 1100 emitter lumen mark and it pulls just under 600ma from the battery.