Preon Revo SS Neutral White XP-G

mighty82

Enlightened
If they stuck with the xp-e R2 to get the right beam profile in this little thing, why did they choose a xp-g led in the neutral version? It doesn't make sense to me. Why can't I have BOTH a little bit of throw AND a neutral tint??

BruceWillEs

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one Revo SS R4^^

May i ask 3 questions?

1.) How long will the shipping take to Germany?^^ I've choosen the 4sevens "Free-Shipping-Worldwide"
2.) Does anybody know, if the Revo SS R4 accepts 10440 lithiums? Will this damage the light? Will the low modes work, when using 10440s?
3.) The Preon 1 R5 (!) has "70 OTF Lumens and 0.8 hours". How is it possible, that the Revo SS R4 (!) has "82 Lumens and 0.9 hours"?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

chibato

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for those comparisons adam83, that was exactly what I needed to help solidfiy my purchase decision.

Bass

Enlightened

1.) How long will the shipping take to Germany?^^ I've choosen the 4sevens "Free-Shipping-Worldwide"

It should take between 5-14 days, depending on your countries customs / import regulations.

BruceWillEs

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Bass and PCC for your kind and helpful answers.

So now i am only wondering, how it is possible, that a R4 outperforms a R5 !?

Again for comparison the values:
Preon 1 R5: 70 OTF Lumens and 0.8 hours
Preon ReVO R4: 82 Lumens and 0.9 hours

Magic?? I really don't understand, but want to know it exactly!

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
So now i am only wondering, how it is possible, that a R4 outperforms a R5 !?

Again for comparison the values:
Preon 1 R5: 70 OTF Lumens and 0.8 hours
Preon ReVO R4: 82 Lumens and 0.9 hours

Magic?? I really don't understand, but want to know it exactly!

Because after 3min the output automatically drops. It says so right in the description on sevens website.

The ReVO has a "smart" high mode that starts at an expectedly bright 82 lumens and then steps down 20% (a barely noticeable decrease) to provide extended runtime.

The medium and lower modes are also much more efficient but that is because a current regulated circuit is much more efficient than a PWM one.

Lucciola

Enlightened
Congratulations! I ordered the neutral white. Can't help it. I'm addicted to neutrals. :rolleyes:
My order of the "Prevo" is my fourth order from 4-7s US. Normally they took 7 days to arrive in Germany. My last order took 14 days, but it was opened by German customs. So I guess it got stuck in a routine control. Consequently you may get impacient after one week and worried after two weeks. :D

Schöne Grüße,

Lucciola

Edit: By the way: Cool nick name, Bruce! :D

Last edited:

BruceWillEs

Newly Enlightened
Cave Dave, thank you very much for you kind answer. I appreciate, that i didn't figure out that myself... Would you call this "smart high-mode" a trick to get a better lumen rating, or does it make sense in your opinion?

Lucciola, only 7 to 14 days to Germany!??? NICEEEEEEE!!!!! Can't wait for it any longer, although I've only waited one day till now :devil:

Although i am a relatively poor non-Bafög student, this free fast shipping will make me buy many more products from 4sevens^^ especially as the EUR-USD-Ratio gets better and better again :devil: JIIAHAHAHA :twothumbs

Lucciola

Enlightened
Would you call this "smart high-mode" a trick to get a better lumen rating, or does it make sense in your opinion?
I guess they try to get the best of both worlds: Output and runtime.

Typically a keychain light will be used for short tasks. Find something you dropped, light up a dark alley while walking through, take a glance in a computer housing, read a map in the car*, this kind of stuff.

I would not go on a night hike with my ARC-P AAA light - although I could probably safely do so.

So the Prevo will give you max for three minutes and then step slightly back to save energy. I'd say 3 minutes should be plenty for most keychain light tasks. I really like this feature although I will probably use low and med most of the time.

Lucciola

* I still get lost analogue. So far no GPS necessary to do so.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I got my Preon Revo SS NW last week.
It's a really nice light with a feeling of high quality.
The knurling is very grippy which is good when you hold it but I think it will wear a little more on my jeanspocket than my ITP A3.
The ITP has much smoother surface but I never had any problems with bad grip.

Does anybody have both SS and alu Revo?
Is the aluminum model a little smoother and will it then maybe wear a little less on your pockets?

I really like the SS Revo but I don't think I will wear it all day long 7 days a week.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the single best AAA on the market. I absolutely love this thing and had knocked off a CR2 light off my keychain. And that is nearly impossible for any light to do.:twothumbs

BlueMarble

Newly Enlightened
This is the single best AAA on the market. I absolutely love this thing and had knocked off a CR2 light off my keychain. And that is nearly impossible for any light to do.:twothumbs

That is exactly what I did, too! Replaced a CR2 with this. It is an amazing torch :twothumbs

BruceWillEs

Newly Enlightened
As you ALL here have the same fantastic opinion of this light, i really can't wait any longer for my ReVO! :)

But just one more question, please.

Am i the only one, who liked to have a "Turbo Boost Smart High Mode" in it, that delivers 200-300 lumens for a few seconds (perhaps 10), and then automatically dims the light by measuring the die temperature? Would anybody else like such a feature SO much? Of course this can only work if u use adequate batteries.

Lucciola

Enlightened
Am i the only one, who liked to have a "Turbo Boost Smart High Mode" in it, that delivers 200-300 lumens for a few seconds (perhaps 10), and then automatically dims the light by measuring the die temperature? Would anybody else like such a feature SO much? Of course this can only work if u use adequate batteries.

Well, 200-300 lumens from an AAA battery should be impossible. So we are talking about CR123 or CR2 lithiums.

We would be talking about a regulated and boosted Mini 123, something like this.

For keychain carry this would be too big for my taste. I think for the specific keychain application the AAA is for me the maximum tollerable size.

Lucciola

BruceWillEs

Newly Enlightened
Well...

A standard AAA Eneloop battery is able to deliver 1.6A at 1.2V. (see datasheet here: http://eneloop.com.sg/products/download/Datasheet_-_HR-4UTG.pdf)

If we boost up that Voltage (assumed boost-up circuit efficiency is 100%) to the Level of 3.2V, we get a current of 0.6A.

If we now have a look at the XP-G Datasheet (http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampxp_b&l.pdf) we see, that a S2 bin delivers up to 156 lumen at 350mA.

So, we got 0,6A, that means our S2 will deliver 267 Lumen.

I know that the circuit does not have 100%, and that there is a difference between emitter lumens and OTF lumens. But i just wanted to show, that even with a standard AAA Eneloop battery it is easily possible to get more than 200 lumens out of it. If we now use a special AAA battery, that was made for high currents... for example a 10440 lithium... we can easily get more than 300 lumens out of it! Of course, only for a few seconds and limited by an integrated die temperature measurement. I'd pay lots of dollars for a ReVO with that feature! :)

Last edited:

BlueMarble

Newly Enlightened
Great shots adam83, by the way! Thanks for sharing. It is very interesting to see the differences between the emitters.

Last edited:

Latest posts