• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired PRICE DROP !!! - HD45 XX1T, PKEF 8k, Mr. Bulk Super LGI

chellyc

Enlightened
Re: PRICE DROP !!! - Chrome Aleph 3, HD45 XX1T, PKEF 5k & 8k, Mr. Bulk Super LGI

I emailed you through the forum. Did you receive it? Will try PM now.

Chelly

CQB

Enlightened
Re: PRICE DROP !!! - Chrome Aleph 3, HD45 XX1T, PKEF 5k & 8k, Mr. Bulk Super LGI

[edit] sorry, I just did a search for PKEF and read up on these beautiful lights. I am interested. Please explain the the main difference is b/t the 5K and 8K..? thank you. CQB

Last edited:

CQB

Enlightened

I'LL TAKE IT! [The PKEF that is.] :)

I want whichever is the WARMER tint, not sure if that is the 5K or 8K.

BBB, am I the winner? Going to bed now, will check tomorrow morning. Tks! CQB

blahblahblah

Enlightened

Sorry for the slow response, CPF email notifications and email forwarding are not working for me since the CPF outage. I've responded to PMs. My direct email is mbeckwith AT gmail.com, should anyone have trouble reaching me via CPF.

Chellyc, The A3 has your name on it.

CQB, The PKEF 5k has your name on it.

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Re: PRICE DROP !!! - HD45 XX1T, PKEF 5k & 8k, Mr. Bulk Super LGI

Chellyc,

Payment received. Your light will ship later today!

CQB

Enlightened
Re: PRICE DROP !!! - HD45 XX1T, PKEF 5k & 8k, Mr. Bulk Super LGI

BBB:

PayPal... (*gulp!*)... sent!

Tks again
CQB

ps. note to self - no more lights.................... till 2007. ;)

CQB

Enlightened
BBB: received my PKEF 5K today, thaaaaank yooooou!! The wait wasnt as long as I thought it would be. Much appreciated.

Question on the switch. I found the spring mechanism in the tailcap comes out - ie. it's not secured in place, so I easily removed it. Now to reinstall it, I had to fumble a little, trying to line up the three small plastic stems (of the spring mechanism) with the three small holes within the tailcap itself. Wasnt too hard but took a minute or two.

I know this is, afterall, named an Experiment Light (heheh), so was this by design, that the spring part can be removed so easily?

The rotator switch/dial was tight at first, but it loosened up nicely thereafter.

All in all I am pleased thus far with this light. It was, by far, my most expensive single light purchase - my wallet is still hurting. :)

Note: my stock Kroma performs very well when compared to this Kroma-On-Steriods. And the neat thing is I can switch heads with the bodies since they're identical physically with differences in the laser etching only. I do understand that the price more likely reflects the fact this light is in limited quantities. And i *DID* want a rare one in my SF collection... so there ya go! But to SF's credit, their Kroma does what it's supposed to do, really really well!

Last edited:

blahblahblah

Enlightened
I read something somewhere on CPF about springs or tailcaps. I just don't recall what it was. I haven't had any issues with the tailcaps except... on my personal light, the 2 stage didn't work too well when the batteries were low, IIRC. This is the only light that I've run the batteries low.

Since you have a Kroma, I'm curious... Are the tailcaps the interchangeable?

As far as pricing... Only 200 were made from what I hear. They were only sold to dealers in Asia originally. The PK logo seems to demand higher pricing.

With that said... most of the time all of my PK lights are shelf-kings.
640dsc01305zb2.jpg

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the difference in the 8K and 5K Chroma's?

I'll admit, I'm not up to date on these lights, just seem like a weird light to me!

Bill

blahblahblah

Enlightened
The 8k and 5k refers to the color temperature of the main 5w white LED. 8k is a cold white and the 5k would be a warm white.

The letters refer to the 5mm LEDs that surround the main white LED.
Version A = Red/Green
Version B = Red/Blue
Version C = Blue/IR

These are similar to Kromas and sometimes referred to as a Kroma Turbo. I believe they are "extras" left over from the DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) experiment for the USA military.
Here's a pic of a Def1, Def2, and Def3... notice the similarity to the Def3?
http://www.pk-e.com/Shelby/Image1/DEF 1 2 3s.jpg

Here's some other background info, although Popsci or the CPF links' info are 100% accurate:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=95800
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/whatsnew/39acf4efbabe6010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

CQB

Enlightened
yes it appears the tailcaps ARE interchangeable. They fit and they appear to function properly on both lights.

honestly, I've already gotten accustomed to the switch of the Kroma (and I originally thought I would be a "clickie" guy) that I prefer its switch over the PKEF two-stage clickie.

One neg about the 2-stage clickie is if I want to CLICK for continuous ON on a low-light setting (red or green) when you CLICK it all the way down, the light will shine at the HIGH output before staying on the low light setting. It's just the nature of the switch. Everytime I depress the switch all the way down we get HIGH beam - which can be a good thing of course - but if I only wanted low output I would still get that split-second of high output when the clickie is clicked at first.

With the Kroma if all you want is low setting then you dont have to fear about going on HIGH for a second, since we're not clicking anything, we're only turning the switch (I'm referring to Continuous On mode).

Hope that makes sense.

[edit] after using the 2-stage clickie more, I'm starting to like it! Very user-friendly & convenient. [/edit]

After playing with the PKEF I have to admit it will most likely become a Shelf King as well. No regrets here, mind you. I wanted a rare SF light and this definitely fits the bill. The PKEF is definitely a WOW-Factor light on its looks alone!! And the red and green 5mm LEDs are very impressive. I just dig the overall LED layout, very BattleStar Galactica-ish. :)

Truth be told, I already get great utility from my Kroma and A2. The A2 was always my go-to light. Simple interface, very reliable, great performance. Then the Kroma came out and IMO, I think it's a level above the A2 in terms of versatility.

Surprising to me, in comparison, the Kroma holds its own vs the heftier PKEF in many respects! The Kroma is more pocket-friendly and its high output from the Lux III is very useable - hotspot with just enough ambient spill. The high output from the Lux V of the PKEF has little-to-no spill and is more of a large square hotspot, with the warmer tint of a 5K led of course. I would be VERY interested to see what the numbers were in comparison for the Kroma's Lux III vs the PKEF's Lux V (throw and output).

IMO, the Kroma barely comes under as acceptable for pocket-carry. The TurboHead on the PKEF - although is impressive and neat to look at - is too large for my pockets for bezel-down carry. If the clip were reversed then I *could* perhaps work with it as a pocket-carry with the bezel up. If I wanted to carry the PKEF I would definitely have to use a holster.

[edit] the PKEF is very useful, so useful that it might not stay in storage as much as I first anticipated. It's a tad larger with the TurboHead but that beautiful Lux V makes for a nice warm beam with a great hotspot. Outdoors it throws well, and makes for better threat recognition vs the Kroma's Lux III, IMO. I can really see how the military would be using the PKEF versions (Def3?) in real military applications. They wouldnt be babying the light, as I am. And the Red and Green leds are very handy as alternative low output options. BBB: tks again for selling me the PKEF. I am very satisfied with it, not just from a Collector's point of view, but from a User's as well! [/edit]

Last edited: