Princeton Tec Apex replacement options?

haplo

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I've had my Princeton Tec Apex light for a while now, and its my preferred backpacking light for its versatility. I love the option of having both a spot beam, and flood, and the flood having decent runtime.

However, I'm also a CPFer, which I think means I'm never satisfied for long, and I've had the Apex for a long time now.

The other things: The Apex is heavy (279g), especially paired with 4 AA batteries. And the runtime on the spot beam is pretty poor for 200 lumens (1.5hrs).

So, I've been looking for an alternative. I have to keep my flood beam - that is just really useful. I don't use the spot much, but I'd like to illuminate the same distance with whatever light I end up with, weather its a dual beam like the Apex, or its flood light is just really bright and kind of throwy as well.

I've been looking at the Zebralights (the H602w in particular), as I really love the 18650 cells for mAH, but what has been disappointing is finding ANY comparisons. Its hard enough to just find reviews that include beamshots, but I've yet to find anyone who has a side by side comparison with this light to other headlamps on the market. Or for that matter, Zebralights in general. Everyone says they're awesome, but no one ever does a side by side review?

Anyways, I'm not tied to the Zebralight, its just one of the few that I've found that is intriguing. I'm posting here because I want to tap the community knowledge on CPF. Especially anyone who has used or owns the Apex and can compare it fairly to some other items on the market. I'd like brighter than the Apex, but my main goal is having longer runtime; I don't like carrying pounds of batteries with me for week long trips. Ounces equals pounds, and pounds equal pain.

Thanks all,
H.

haplo

Newly Enlightened
Does the Apex meet everyone's need, and there is no better light?

I'm still looking at the Zebralight H600w, and now the Nitecore HC50... Anyone else have something?

H.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
for me, the 602 (or any other of their lights without reflector) is totally useless ...

the 600 makes a perfect mix of a normal-to-wide beam, ideally for a headlamp, is extremely small and light for an 18650 powered light and the light modes offer anything (+ the possibility to even adjust each of them to personal taste)
and the new MK2 neutral white model is quite nice - I have just ordered one and wait for it to arrive
:)

as to Your findings:
right, "noone" makes comparisons - makes not much sense as there is no match
(when at least the small size part is of importance - and that simply cant be neglected in a headlamp ...)

the Apex once was a good idea, but the "spacing" of the levels is total crap.
If - at that time - there would have been good alternatives, it would have suffered a niche-life.
--> f.e. imagine an EOS, built around AA batteries
(or just the EOS head alone, with the APEX battery compartment (and possibly a higher max level). That would have been the headlamp at that time. And not much "effort" to build for the maker)

... NOW the body of a headlamp - of any lamp - has to be from metal: for cooling the led
any other built is too many disadvantages

Last edited:

PrincetonTec

Newly Enlightened
For whatever it's worth, the Apex has been upgraded for 2014 to 275 lumens. Otherwise, the familiar platform remains the same, meaning you get choice of 4 AA, CR123, Rechargeable or 8 AA. (Apex, Apex Pro, Apex Rechargeable and Apex Extreme respectively.)
We may have a new high-end headlamp in the works, for 2015:sssh:

Latest posts