PT IMPACT XL

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience/comments on this light? I got this one for under $30. The light is very white, bright hot spot and good amount of side spill. It is supposed to be
waterproof also. For the price, this light and the Brinkmann Maxfire Rechargeable (incand), are the best value lights I have gotten in recent months.

robk

Enlightened
It's a great light, long runtime, white, but not too bright. I use it (or sometimes a UK4AALED) for poking behind computers because it doesn't blind me like some of my other lights. The only flaw I see is it would be great to have a clickie like the SL 4AA LED, I don't like the fact that it takes two hands to turn it on.
Rob

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nightguy:
The Impact was recieved here with mixed reviews a few months ago. The UK4AALED got rave reviews - and I think it is still selling for about $20.

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened
Stainless,

I find the fact that the UK4AALED getting rave reviews rather amusing. As I do have the UK4AALED and I compared my Impact XL with it. First the UK's beam color is urine green compared to the Impact's white white. Secondly, the throw and the brightness of the Impact is twice that of the UK's.
The only edge that the UK have over the Impact is, as you mentioned, the price and possibly the single hand operation of the switch.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
NIGHTGUY said:
I find the fact that the UK4AALED getting rave reviews rather amusing. As I do have the UK4AALED and I compared my Impact XL with it. First the UK's beam color is urine green compared to the Impact's white white. Secondly, the throw and the brightness of the Impact is twice that of the UK's.
The only edge that the UK have over the Impact is, as you mentioned, the price and possibly the single hand operation of the switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

The UK 4AA eLED has regulation, which means that it won't get any dimmer until the batteries are almost completely used up. (Tests by users on CPF have confirmed that the output is flat for 13 hours.) The Impact XL is not regulated and will dim noticeably in the first couple of hours of use.

If your UK has a greenish beam, you must have been unlucky. Most of them (including mine) have been perfectly white.

Greymage

Enlightened
I prefer the Impact XL also

- it's brighter
- it's whiter (both of the UK 4AA eLEDs I've had looked white by themselves but slightly greenish next to my XL)
- you can take out the bulb and use it in a standard flashlight (it looks a lot like an Epeion)
- it's dive rated (UK is just waterproof)

Also, I don't think the XL is direct drive - I happened to rip the luxeon assembly in half (don't ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif) and inside the PR base can there's a toroid and some other components, not just the simple resistor you'd expect from a direct drive light working on 4AA.

AbnerCadaver

Banned
Like other flashaholics, I too have both, and in my case my eLed and PT XL are equal partners in both brightness and throw, but the XL is whiter (leaning slightly towards purple) and the eLeds (I have 3 of them), are a "warmer white" but definitely not green in any way shape or form. It boils down to a matter of preference, and I like the discharge curves of the eLed. But in all fairness, I haven't yet experienced the discharge curve of the PT yet as it is a relative newcomer to my collection. Does anybody have a plot of the PT XL discharge available?

Abbie

Aloft

Enlightened
I've got a couple UK 4AA eLeds too. . .mine seem quite white. At first I was a bit underwhelmed by the brightness, but this light grew on me. . . and they're only $20 at Brightguy! More important to me. . . being fully regulated the UK's can handle lithium batteries, making them a great backup light to keep in the car or some other place where heat, cold and time will make the alki's leak and ruin your light. Ruining a light (at least without learning something cool) is very painful for me. . .

dda

Newly Enlightened
My Imact XL is white enough, but I am not impressed with the brightness. I hadn't noticed that it has a PR based bulb. I wonder if it would be brighter in a 4d celllight.