PT Rage 4AAA vs. Bison 2AA

Duffy

Newly Enlightened
I've narrowed down my search for a "purse light" for my wife to a PT Rage or Bison 2AA. What would you recommend, and what are the advantages of either? I notice that the Bison is larger and slightly heavier, but don't want to assume that means it has a better beam. On Brock's review page he notes that the Bison is the brightest 2AA he has (at that point), and calls the PT Rage a nice little light for the money--but no comparison. Which would you choose for an occasional use light, one that might be called upon for use in either partially lighted or truly dark situations?
--Duffy Tweedy

Brock

Flashaholic
I would take the rage easily. It really puts out more light overall, but since you can spot down the Bison the Bison can be "brighter". Since you can change the focus on the Bison I wouldn't recommend it for a person who wouldn't use it, or might get it really large or really small and then the light isn't useful. So the Rage would be my choice. Also, if you are putting the light in a purse, the smaller and less weight are better.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a Bison, but the Rage is an excellent "purse" light. Take off the o-ring & you can operate it with one hand. TX

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you set on an incandescent?

The Princeton Tec Attitude is very nice. 4 aaa batteries in a double barrel configuration with 3 LED's. Very light, very bright, long run time, pretty small and light weight and under 20$. I own three!

In a car, in a room, anything less than 75 feet, it does a really nice job.

It is physically the same light housing as the Rage.

You can buy the Attitude and get a Rage replacement head for only 3.75 $ more (at www.brightguy.com)

Of course there is the Sure Fire E2 (about 75$) (and E2e), and the E1 (60$) The Sure Fire G2 Nitrolon (50$) (Very light weight).

There is also the Arc AAA and the Inova X5.

Arc AAA for size and Inova 5X for beauty and brightness and long lasting storage of 123 lithium batteries.

Good luck.

Brock

Flashaholic
What can I say, get both of the PT's very nice combo
smile.gif