Q III and Costco Tailcaps rubber boots swappable!

rscanady

Enlightened
I made and interesting discovery tonight, I was showing a co-worker a costco light i was changing and he mentioned he didnt like the switch, that it was too hard for him to push and actuate. So I took the tailcap apart to find the same type of switch assy in my Q III, and I wondered if the swithc in my QIII was "taller". I have the o-ring mod to enable the QIII to stand on end. After ripping apart both tailcaps of the costco and the QIII, we found the the rubber boot thingy was different. The have virtually the same dimensions except for the nipple inside it that actually pushes against the switch. The QIII Rubber boot has a larger nipple thus causing it to "dome" out more than that of the costco one. So I swapped them between each other and sweet.... Now I dont need the oring in the QIII to stand on end and the switch isnt so recessed from the tailcap, its just less "domed" now. So it still stands on end by is easier to actuate. The costco light benefited too by being more "domed" making it easier to actuate and also it can be actuated by pushing against a hard surface on the switch (couldnt do it before). The costco light wont stand on end but with the design of the taicap I think it would be very hard while still maintaining good on/off swithcing.

Anyhow it was an easy swap that benefited both lights for me. Just wanted to share.

Ryan

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did this a while ago myself. Then i decided to take my Q3 switch apart and try to make it momentary. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

Now my Q3 has the switch from the costco light, and the costco light has nothing. I also managed to break the black plastic collar thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

But, yeah, the different boots did work fairly well but their diameters are slightly different. I dont think the Q3 switch sticks out enough so I dont think I'd try this, but you might be able to turn the boot inside out and shave the nipple down a bit. I feel naughty saying that.