Q3 Reflector - maybe I ruined it?

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
To take the reflector out of the head of my new Q3 I did the baggie in the hot water deal. Some water leaked into the bag and got into the head. I was able to get it apart. Since it was a little wet, I wiped the reflector out with a cotton t-shirt. Now part of the reflector (about 1/3 of the bezel end) is milky looking and the beam is not as nice as it was before. Did I ruin it? Can I fix it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Ouch!

Time for a new reflector.... unless you have a means of polishing it to mirror smoothness. Never wipe a reflector, as I learned with my E1e. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The upshot is that an IMS 17 or 20mm reflector may fit, and they are only $5, with excellent beam quality. Check out PhotonFanatic's thread in B/S/T lights.

You can try to carefully clean it with a Q-tip dipped in Isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) -- assuming there is just some residue on the reflector, and you don't have destroyed the surface structure.

[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Ouch!

Time for a new reflector.... unless you have a means of polishing it to mirror smoothness. Never wipe a reflector, as I learned with my E1e. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned that the hard way with my PM6 and PM6 LED. A soft cotton cloth took the coating right off.

I learned that with my 2D maglite... seems i was lucky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I changed mine with an 20mm reflector and a glass lens, it now throws better and spots a brighter beam.

Another "learned my lesson" post...

I did this with my 2C m@g modded with a red Luxeon and only made little circular scratches in it with no real apparent beam changes.

Oh and elgarak, I wouldn't try using a q-tip as you can still drag little chunks of dust (or whatever you're trying to clean off) causing little scratches or even make the reflector layer peel off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) the only way to clean a reflector without damaging it is to use distilled water (maybe with soap?) in a squirt bottle and letting the reflector air dry (upside down). I wouldn't use alcohol because it tends to leave a residue after it drys (or maybe I only use cheap stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol should not leave any type of residue when it dries. If yours does, throw it out. It is contaminated with something.

I havent learned this the hard way YET and I hope not to. I recall someone saying that the better way to clean reflectors is splash it with water, but NEVER rub it with anything. After splashing it a bit with water, let it dry in the sun or with a blow dryer.

Well....... Thanks for the information. I know some of you feel my pain. (oooo.... it hurts...) I have ordered another reflector.

Since you ordered a new reflector, why not take a polishing wheel and some Flitz to your current one and see what kind of beam it can produce when its smooth and polished.

Btw, how do I get the reflector out of the head? Is it screwed or sealed with loctite, too ???

I´m no fan of fast and violent approaches, so I´m asking first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...

And if I´m already asking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif: Does anybody know, what type of replacement-lens fits? Any of the lenses from flashlightlens.com? thanks!

Ziplock bagged and boiling for couple minutes will loosen the loctite. Any 22mm lens may fit. I modded mine with a 22mm glass lens from the Shoppe.